Radeon Graphics cards Black Screen bug is haunting AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Exactly my experience with it, Impossible to replicate. Sometimes I get zero black screens in two weeks, other times I experience it two to three times in one session. Even the company who I sent the card for rma couldn't replicate it.

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    GPU power has increased significantly from generation to generation (real generations, not rebrands). The same couldn't be said about CPU performance during the dark years. Intel just raised the clocks a little bit, and that's it. Of course you could sell a kidney and buy one of the extreme edition CPUs, but most people couldn't afford it. However, if you compare old and new GPUs, the development is very clear. Although, unfortunately, the prices of video cards have got higher as well, though that's partially inevitable; 8GB of memory simply cost more than 2GB. Nevertheless, pretty consistently a mid-range card would match the upper-range card of the previous gen. You are fooling yourself if you think that would have kept going on with no competition. Nvidia has been leading the race for a good long while now, but they did know that if they did intels, AMD would catch up.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I don't have a RX 5000 series video card and also have the issue with the newest few drivers.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Shame that a nice product is being plagued by issues like this. AMD really needs to fix this fast otherwise many will move to Nvidia.

Maddness likes this.

5. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    It´s one of the reasons why Navi did not manage to gain traction and the RX 5600XT Bios situation didn´t help either. The hardware is good, but the rest leaves something to be desired.

According to Hardware Unboxed/Techspot, they spoke to some retailers and the return rate for RX 5700XT is 5x higher than the Nvidia equivalents.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only the 3m riser is gen 4 qualified.

7. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    I am all for good competition, but if something is not working as intended it should be addressed. I have had equal amount of products from all manufactures, Amd, Ati, Intel and Nvidia. I simply compare the product I need, and buy what I feel is good for me. I respect what Amd has done in the cpu industry, although I mainly game and I don't really need more than a fast four core cpu, but this is not the discussion at hand. Let us be appreciative of Nvidia for giving us real time ray tracing, that is a worth while technological improvement.

I simply bought an Amd gpu, like the many I bought before, but this one had the black screen defect. That is mainly the reason why I state my opinion on this matter, I'm not here to fuel the ire of a loud minority carrying on about the evils of Intel and Nvidia. I don't care, I like the products they offer, it has served me well. If Amd wants to compete in the gpu segment, they should release proper 100 percent working products, this black screen thing is going on for a decade now. I understand the disappointment this could bring to users, I lost money on my purchase, the only way I could resolve the issue was to sell the gpu, even after rma they told me there is nothing wrong with the gpu.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I have no amd cards since the 290 but you think a black screen is a pain in the butt try it when you CPU is on ln2 then you be really pissed not to mention when the GPU is on ln2 also
    But after a few months it was ok so just wait if you can
    Had same issues on other amd GPU's at launch but it got fixed in time
    I know this does not make you feel better

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Not saying that the issue doesn't exist, but it simply haven't happened to me in the last 5 months or so.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Will add my 2 cents.
    During my time using Windows, I've experienced the black screen issue and more others on my Polaris RX 480.
    Nothing that DDU couldn't fix, but it was annoying.
    On the other hand, same card was giving absolutely no issues under Linux.
    The only thing that was weird was the high fan usage during boot, and after having the desktop loaded, the GPU fans resumed their speed related to the task...silent and sometimes didn't spin at all.

11. hammadnadeemx

hammadnadeemx Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9-380 2GB ASUS
    I have had a 7870, r9-380 and now a 5700xt and I have never experienced this problem ever. The first 2 cards i used on windows and the 5700xt on Linux only. Maybe the opensource driver is just so damn good !

anticupidon likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think the issue is about communication. If AMD would communicate more that they are working on things and want the communitys help with reporting issues it would probably make customers stay and new ones not hesitate. I for example am interested in knowing more about the rumored 5800 and 5900 cards but I wouldn't buy one if it meant black screens, freezes and down clocking.

MaCk0y likes this.
  13. Crisidelm

Crisidelm Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 DD Ultra
    I switched to a Rx5700 from a Rx460 early in january; the first days no problem, then I had two black-screens in two consecutive days, and when I say black screen I literally mean it, both times while I was watching a YT video (on Edge) the screen went black, sound kept on normally; I just turned the monitor off and on with the power button and the desktop (well, the video) reappeared without a hitch. After the second time I posted the fact in the forum here and someone suggested that I should try turning off HDCP support in the Adrenalin driver panel, which I did and haven't had a black screen ever since. Now, when I read the reports it's more like complete freezes, hard lockups, which I haven't yet experienced (in fact the system has been rock stable for the last month).

14. Jack Hermit

Jack Hermit Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    Well, i'm having freezers when i use alt-tab on some games.

And missing textures in COD MW.

I only had the black screen issue once.

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    RTGs getting a hammering.

16. Megalith

Megalith Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280X
    This has been happening with my Gigabyte RX Vega 56 since day one. Had two random black screens already today while working and the only way to get the machine up and running again is to do a hard power kill on the PSU

17. mdm

mdm Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 FURY
    I have the issue on my R9 FURY for a loooong time, sometimes less then on other driver more...

18. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    this crap is happening to people since 3 generations of radeon cards. they never acknowledged it as an issues in any driver release, so how da fock can they say driver stability is a key feature!?
    Jeez, the radeon group is a big problem for amd.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I had similar issues pop up on Cayman back with TeraScale2. This has been a black mark for a long with team red and one of the many reasons I've stuck with Nvidia my last few upgrades.

andries likes this.
  20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Wanna give me your card for free then? Its ok by me! :);)

SpajdrEX likes this.