Backblaze Publishes Hard Drive Stats for 2019: Failure rates on the rise

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's simply not how that works.

If you want to find the correlation between the drives and how long they were used you'd have to divide the number of days by drive count.

For example, Seagates 37,004 drives and 12,721,076 drive days averages out to each drive working for 343 days of the year.

Compare that to HGSTs highest drive count of 12,746 drives and 4,674,986 and that averages out to each drive working for 366 days of the year (...not sure how it has 366 days rather then 365, 2019 was not a leap year, but whatever)

Effectively, equal to equal comparisons by drive useage would mean that the drive fail rate compared to Seagates would actually be lower (between those two drives anyways) by around 6.3%. And by your own statement, given that HGST drives were powered on longer, the HGST drives "should have higher fail rates", and that's simply, as is obvious from the data, not true.

As to "it use to be WD", it's pretty solidly been seagate for...what? 10? 15 years? They've gotten better since their 3TB fiasco, but they still seem to have a fail rate issue compared to their competitors

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seagate is not good as use to be quality wise, but at same time there not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, I been using Seagate hdd elusively for as long as i been making pc now i all SSD, but if i ever need mass storage HDD i will use seagate again , never once had drive fail there other then 1 laptop 7200rpm drive i had that one just refused to boot up one after 3 years in my ps3, 50+ seagate over the year they all still work other then normal wear and tear. any time i tried some other brand drive it just failed after year or 2 maybe i just luck i dont know. but seagate is no where near as bad is people make out to me, ever since the whole firmware fiasco it been seagate sucks then and 3TB what ever issue pop up threw that time.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol.. I just want to point out you had 1 drive fail out of 50 which is a 2% failure rate.. basically inline with what blackblaze is saying.

I personally run two seagates in my NAS along side a bunch of WD's for about 4 years now none of them have failed. Looking at the numbers from blackblaze and others I'd probably go with WD/HGST in the future but I haven't had any issues with Seagate but I don't think my limited hard drive purchasing experience is indicative of the industry.

fry178 likes this.
  4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well Seagate will never live down their 3TB 32% debacle and that happened 8 years ago.
    They also had their 4TB hitting 14% failure rate 3 years ago, this was on a low drive count though, but since then they have been doing alright.
    These latest stats actually show an improvement for the manufacturers listed.
    Last time WD was in the charts their 6TB red drives had a failure rate just under 5%.
    And WD also had a 20% return rate on their 4TB red drives that were DOA, better to get a drive DOA then use it and have it die on you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i not saying blaze is wrong no where did i either, I just saying most people here and on other forums make it sound like Seagate is much worse then they are.

Once you done some wrong or some bad happen one will never live it down and in that case Seagate will not has not, people make mountains out mole hills out failure issue and next nothing from successes., it why we see more complains about things then people saying there is is no issue, cause those people that are not having issue are not really gona go out of there way to say anything in first place, people that are have issue will make it known on ever social media platform possible these days.