Please help w/PC restart (not random or overheating)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NotReallySure, Feb 11, 2020.

1. NotReallySure

NotReallySure Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 ti
    So PC restarts only when playing Far Cry Primal on Uplay when the game is loading from using Fast Travel. Does not happen all the time but enough to make it unplayable. PC does not restart under any other conditions during more demanding games. Have searched the net extensively and cannot find anything that helps. Have used DDU with no luck. PSU is proprietary and cannot be changed as it has a custom connection to the power button.

W10
    RTX 2060 S
    500W PSU

Edit: Spoke too soon, now it is restarting when loading initial save and just out of the blue? Tested RAM and seems ok, fast start is not enabled, if it is an outdated BIOS am afraid to update it. Why does it happen for just Far Cry Primal, Far Cry 4 works no problem? Event Viewer - keyword: (70368744177664),(2) initiated the power off for the following reason: Other (Unplanned) Reason Code: 0x0?

UPDATE 3/12/2020: Finished and uninstalled FCP, then restarts again on different game. Added all game files including GOG Galaxy 2.0 to Avast Exclusion list and have not had a restart in over 2 weeks. I don't know if Avast/GOG was the issue but am noting this as it could help others.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You need to disable restart on failure....

3. NotReallySure

NotReallySure Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 ti
    OK, auto-restart was already unchecked. Anything else that could be causing it? I just checked all the hardware connections, could it be software related? My hunch is that it is Uplay but I haven't tried another Uplay game yet. Maybe that is my next step to troubleshoot this?

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Restart is really weird. You should check your OS crashlog/dump, it should give a hint.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    500watts mean nothing if the power supply was $20

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    $20 means nothing if PSU is faulty in the first place.

sykozis likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Those kinda restarts suggest psu is the issue. Failing or cant handle the configuration, we all had similiar problems before.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Did you do run a chkdisk on both the OS partition and the installation partition (if you install/store game installation files on another disk)? There might be a corrupt file somewhere.

9. NotReallySure

NotReallySure Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 ti
    Undying...what a great classic game, amazing atmosphere and a hidden gem.

Undying likes this.
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not all of us.... Mine either work just fine, or go up in a cloud of smoke. Never had a PSU cause restarts.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You never had an underpowered or failing psu but only exploding one. :D

Had a 500w psu when i bought the 580 then restarts started under heavy load so knew what was happeneing and when i got an 750w it stoped right away, have no problems ever since.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The advantage to being broke all the time, is that you learn to plan well ahead..... power supply has always been a priority because I could never afford to replace failed components. Every upgrade was planned 12-18 months in advance. You don't skimp on the PSU when you know you can't afford to replace it if it's inadequate for your next upgrade.

Now, I plan out upgrades years in advance..... For my switch to Ryzen, I started planning shortly after Zen development was made public. My next upgrade will be Zen 4......barring any disappointments.

Undying likes this.
  13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A failing PSU can cause restarts if it's old. In fact that's an ideal death, going up in smoke is the hallmark of a poorly designed PSU.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And no suspicious events in Event Viewer?