Activision Blizzard removes their games from Geforce NOW

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 12, 2020.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...3eji&cjevent=7575df5c4d2311ea8029016d0a24060d

KissSh0t and cerebus23 like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    More like Geforce no.

Could more publishers/developers do the same thing?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Activision doesn't want to widen it's player base? Mkay... not a fan of subscription services and telegaming anyway.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interesting , why is that?

6. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Almost looks like Activision plans its own Subscription service.

Kolt, fantaskarsef and jbscotchman like this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just put my silly star wars quote reaction down to the bad taste of warcraft 3 bastardized edition still lingering at the back of my throat.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Geforce LATER.

Zenoth and AsiJu like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wouldn't be surprised.

10. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    even with some "positives" reviews of geforce now service, streaming are for watching videos only imho

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ... if THEN

12. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    well, to play games on geforce now u gotta log in with your battle net on nvidia's computer. Which of course they have access to. So i can see it being a security issue and something Blizzard wouldn't want their users doing. I did try it tho, and its fine for most single player stuff. And maybe even some slower paced multiplayer games.

13. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I'm renting computer power from Nvidia to play the games I bought. How can Activision even have a claim to what I may play? Greedy execs who put out terrible games these days anyway. Nvidia should have fought it and not caved. And I bet it's because Google and Activision have a lot agreements and they probably want some Stadia exclusivity (what a terrible service and idea).

There's zero chance this has anything to do with "security" and 100% chance this has to do with $$$.

Kolt, Backstabak and cerebus23 like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Because in order for GFN to work, nvidia has to be allowed to host the client data for instant installation.

15. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    Anything a for-profit company does can somehow be boiled down to "it has to do with money". Its literally the most substance free take you can have in the universe.

The security issue of giving your battle net private login info to Nvidia and with it access to even more personal information, is a clear point of concern.

Of course, what exactly led to them pulling their games from GFN is anyone's guess

16. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    do you work for blizzard, or do I need to ask that in your native tongue, Chinese?

And there's a difference between COMPETITIVE behavior (trying to offer good products) and ANTICOMPETITIVE (trying to stifle the competition to put others at a disadvantage and boost your own position).
    Guess what Activision is known for doing.

17. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    Uhmm okay... this has nothing to do with anything i've said at this point... so, im out.

18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    This whole streaming tech is just about comfort and control imo. Comfort for the user to play anywhere and control for pubiishers.

They can now pull the plug on older games, raise or lower ingame oconomy prices and even block you from a game if you said something naughty about their products in the public.

I'm not confident for a future where everything is just being streamed.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I subscribed to GeForce NOW then cancelled for the free three month Founder's subscription so that I could try it out. On my 420 Mbps connection, I was actually fairly impressed by what I saw, although many games seemed to takes ages to load, longer than they do on my PC from a hard drive (Metro Exodus for example!). The image quality was very good, though obviously at 1080p and with noticeable compression artifacts in dark areas but it was perfectly playable. My reason for trying it was to play RTX enabled games which I can't really do on my GTX 1080 Ti without massive performance penalties and at super-low resolutions.

Anyway, the loss of Activision Blizzard games really makes me question what future GeForce NOW has, especially if other publishers do the same thing. Activision Blizzard are a scummy company anyway, like many of the big publishers that are more concerned with pleasing shareholders than their paying customers.

Of course, you still own the game you bought and can play it by those means but having the option to play via streaming for a small fee was making me seriously consider not bothering with upgrading my PC at all and just going streaming in future. It's not like I play games that much these days anyway. Last game I played extensively was Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC (for 110+ hours single player campaign only) and since then I've played a few smaller Indie games such as Journey to the Savage Planet for a few hours before getting bored of them.

Likely Cyberpunk 2077 would have been the next game I would have played a lot but that has been delayed anyway hence why, if I do consider upgrading my PC, I want to hold off as long as possible. Most publishers will be looking to the Xbox Series X and PS5 so I expect 2020 may turn out to be an underwhelming year for new games.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  20. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Gaming industry is like the music industry 15 years ago.
    Overpriced products that hold little value because the real artists have been replaced by shallow wannabes that just look good in a video.

And what happened? Indy music where real artists can release their music from their homes. You can mix your music with 1000$ equipment and upload it to stores within 5mins.

Kolt, KissSh0t, AsiJu and 3 others like this.