ATX12VO: Future Power Supplies will not have 24-pins ATX connector anymore, but 10-pins

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    More expensive then separate power and separate data cable?

If this ATX12V0 becomes a thing, you'll need a power cable (since it won't come off your power supply) and a data cable. Can't really see that being more expensive then a data + power cable. Only time would tell though.

Probably not the best example but there are USB C PD cables that can do up to 100 watts and do data transfer for only $8 a cable. Compare that to a USB cable + Some external power source costs. And no i'm not saying USB is perfect at this, i'm certain there are issues, i'm just saying it's possible without being expensive and i really think overall it'd be less expensive then having to buy a power cable + data cable which is what you'd likely have to do unless PSU's, even non-modular ones, started coming with many cables not attached.

I also don't see where there wouldn't be converting cables. If it was still SATA3 (or backwards compatible) there's no reason there wouldn't be cables that terminate the power and end with a standard (current) data connection or split on the other end to a current standard data connection and power cable.

But you're right that it would be a fairly big change, but big changes happen, that's part of what technology is.

Personally if this were to become a thing i'd hope that U.2 would become more common, as i understand it anyways, it's already doing what i suggest would happen. U.2, again unless i'm wrong, uses a single cable from the motherboard to the drive, providing PCI-Express lanes similar to M.2, and power, all in one cable. U.2 cables are expensive right now so it may not be the best example again, but that also may simply be due to popularity of the standard and for some reason every one i find has a SATA power cable on it for some reason?

Edit: Nevermind, i see why the sata power is there, apparently it needs additional power, which is disappointing....especially since NVME drives get enough power from the M.2 connection. Point being though, since M.2 Drives get power from the motherboard, there should be no major hurdle to make it so it's all part of a U.2-like connection.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    12v to the mobo, 12v to the GPU, 12v to a SATA backplane for harddisks, only when necessary.

M.2 drives for fast storage, doesn't need power cables.
    SATA for SSDs is already on it's way into the history books...

LED controllers and such can easily be powered by 12v, since they contain PWM DC-DC already inside them...
    Everything else USB.

This is the future of computers for sure.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hence why im saying, its time to dump sata for sas

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well.... technically yes. But about 25 years ago 12 pins were still the standard. And anyone old enough to remember those AT power supplies will always remember BLACK TO BLACK! ATX took quite a while to become mainstream even though it was standardized around 1995. So.... yeah.... anything was better than what computers originated from. Even 20/24-pin was a blessing.

Sad that in a tech forum such as this, that i've been a member of for AGES, not one person mentioned AT power supplies..... for shame.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I would think there would be a substantial increase in heat if they do indeed go with this. Currently most PSUs draw air from outside the case and exhaust it outside the case. The last thing i want is a good amount of that to be moved into my case. Ugh... i'm sure there will be waterblocks for it at least.... lol.

High voltage direct current while superior for long distance transmission due to much lower losses, no skin effect, and higher capacity per conductor.... those benefits can't overcome the much higher expense in the switching, conversion, and control equipment.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Gotta be honest...not sure what you're talking about. What has been stated here that changes how PSU's work, airflow wise?

7. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    This seems like change simply for the sake of change. OK, so we switch to, presumably, a more petite 10-pin ATX plug and socket, foregoing an existing, and thus far, reasonably satisfactory 24-pin ATX arrangement. And, this nets us what? A few square millimeters of board space and the need to generate, and then distribute, 5V from the motherboard?

If we're going to segregate hardware into, what appears to be, at least two families of partially incompatible components, I'm thinking it should be for a better reward than this.

Fox2232 likes this.
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My original post included mentions of AT....but I revised it, obviously. Not sure how many on here besides us remember AT. Maybe we should include XT in this? lol

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    There many types PSU some that never really took of some that arnt popluar I have few AT psu back then but they area all long since dead.

I all for 10 pin psu thiner cables are always welcome. psu could be come cheaper but seeing mb from what under stand are gona have to do the convertering so they will use that for reason to make mb lil more expensive

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For some reason, I doubt we'll see power supplies become cheaper, considering that prices have gone up over the years... They'll likely use the new spec as justification for higher prices on power supplies...

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seeing everthing is made in china everything thing is gona go up in price atlest in USA I think console hardware is only thing exception from that tarrif, prices will go up either way with or with out it, price living and other things go up in price but wages do not it how the world works sadly. it way crap ton of people are in debit

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    things are so low power these days, lighting, screens, computers of all sizes except rtx monsters, its hard to find stuff using more than 100w

big outliers like HVAC and kitchen-laundry appliances already run separately anyway, other than an exception for the bathroom wall plug for the hairdryer, the rest of plugs around the house can easily run on dc, bypassing the AC-DC psu present on 99% of things using them

also have to point out that newer power hungry appliances called "inverter" units are just internally DC, like hvac units and fridges, usually 48v~ and running off much more efficient tech than what would normally run on AC directly

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A few common appliances use more.

Microwave oven 1KW.
    Kettle 3KW
    Samsung HDR TV is well over 200W
    My PC idles at more than 100W, over 300W under load (6700K + 1080ti, no RTX)
    AV amp more than 100W.
    Power amp more than 100W
    Vacuum over 800W
    Carpet cleaner much more
    I have gas central heating but that will be outlawed in the not so distant future.
    I'm not looking forward to an electric car.

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    fair enough, kitchen remains on AC, and my room would need specially thick wiring, but rest of the house is using phones/tablets and battery powered vacuums, speakers, and so on, they already seem fine with usb wall outlets instead of normal plugs : P

and hey you better avoid test driving an EV, its pretty hard to go back