The Stutter is REAL: Driver, Game or MSI A/B Problem? (Now Corrected/Fix)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 4, 2020.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Do you use HDMI audio or your onboard? HDAudBus.sys is the genric driver that Windows install for basic audio capability on the PC when Windows is installed.
    It seems to me that you don't have your onboard audio drivers installed. abd you WANT to have the Realtek driver installed.
    What's your motherboard?

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, I use display port and I do have the audio drivers installed.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then it looks like 60fps are loadings while there is 125fps limit in matches. Is that set by you in any way?
    Is your screen Freesync capable? (You mentioned "FS" in relation to full screen mode, so it is unclear.)

As for modes. Freesync works even in Windowed-fullscreen mode. And IIRC, W10 "removed" exclusive-Fullscreen mode. But games can still change set up refresh rate.
    (I limit fps exclusively with RTSS.)

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Ok, but, audio out from the Displayport?
    Or are you using the motherboard onboard audio?
    If you are using the motherboard, what´s the audio driver version?

Also, check for me what version of the hdaudbus.sys file are you running.
    Mine is 18362.1
    Size 112 KB (114.688 bytes)

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Oh, I'm using a SB Zx for audio and no audio for the display port. I am not using the motherboard audio. I was using the drivers from SB website but they were old so I used the ones from MS Update Catalog.

And the version of HDAudBus is the same as yours. What's also interesting is that I ran latencymon again and this is what I get after trying a few aforementioned tweeks (including only using RTSS). LatencyMon was running in the background while playing a few rounds of Modern Warfare.

https://i.ibb.co/SVPvpTB/while-in-modernwarfare.jpg

This is a marked improvement and I can tell that the mouse latency has decrease. At 1440p here is what I'm getting in game.

https://i.ibb.co/281RqkF/examplegood.jpg

I'm certain there is marked improvement on the smoothness of the game. Characters running about aren't jittery.

Edit: what version is your classpnp.sys?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ClassPNP is a file system io driver, so issues are either failing drives, bad storage controller or raid drivers, cables and storage filters such as those used in antivirus utilities.

Maulcun and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've stop using Intel's IRS drivers for a while now. I never saw any use for them as I don't use Raid. I understand if they also support Sata but from what I've been told can causes latencies.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I think i was able to repro the issue.
    Disable MSI mode for your soundcard if you enabled it.

I was thinkering with it and when I set the soundcard to that mode, it was stutter fest.

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    ok will do.

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I forgot.
    My Classpnp.sys is 18362.628

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hmm, mine is 18362.1 are you on 1903 or 1909?

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yes, think so.

But, how did it go with the MSI mode change?

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I went ahead and replaced a few of my sata 3.0 cables as well as removed sb zx from MSIx. No stutter in game everything seems better so far. I even saw a reduction in classpnp.sys latency (using latencymon). And the improvements I noticed in input latency remains just as good. Thank you for the help. I've played about 10-12 matches since I last posted trying to see if things are better. Visually things are better.

I suspect that high dcp classpnp.sys is a natural thing when the harddrive is loading up a game right (200-500us)?

Maddness, Astyanax and MerolaC like this.

16. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Is there a way to test if MSI mode is helping or hurting a device? I've always read about how MSI actually improves performance and could fix things like stutter, but now apparently the opposite can happen as well lol

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Trial and error. The manufacture has to "code" for it more or less. From what I know once it's in the drivers it will automatically be MSI mode. You can force it but if the drivers for the device don't properly support it can cause issues.

One example is that Sound Blaster's older audio devices don't have drivers that automatically support it. You can force it to use MSI mode and some have success while others report stuttering. The problem with SB is that they are notoriously known for not supporting their hardware after a year or so.

Another example you can get the latest Intel network drivers and starting last few months it now support MSI mode. So need to force it.

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    The classupnp driver is not hurting the interrupt latency, the audio one was.
    High ISR. I don't know what it is. Not gonna lie.

I suggest you to never set the sound card in MSI mode ever again.
    For example, my Titanium HD WILL NOT make a sound if I enable it.
    And my integrated card, the Realtek chip will make everything stutter just like you had it happen.

Seems that audio chips don't like MSI mode in general.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks for the tip. I really don't notice that much of a difference now with it set to IRQ. I guess I need to return HDAudBus.sys back to irq as well.

Here is Radeon finally showing me what I recall a few weeks back.

https://i.ibb.co/pb9X5HG/finally.jpg

Cliffs on what I did:
    -Disabled windows defender

-Updated to KB4505903 for win10 1903 fix the ntoskrnl.exe latency issues (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Enable-MMAgent for memory compression

-Put HDAudBus.sys into MSI Mode as that was showing high ISR latency issues. (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Replaced Sata 3.0 cables (I noticed one was twisted).In an attempt to fix ClassPnP.sys latency. (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Stop relaying on MSI A/B's Hardware Monitor for the time being (showing 1000ms and higer spikes). Gameplay is smooth throughout and I don't experience the spikes that HWM is showing. It also doesn't correlate between the in game OSD Timeframe (using graph) and the HW Monitor itself. And it doesn't correlate with Radeon's Advisor results. Not sure why that is? But will use RTSS frametime for now. Which too shows almost a flat line in OSD and appears in line with Radeon Advisor.

-Removed MSI mode from Sound Blaster Xr

-Replaced Sata 3.0 Cables for ClassPnP.sys which did reduce DPC latency. However, it does increase when there is harddrive activity like loading a map, game, etc.

So far things have improved quiet a bit. Thanks to
    @MerolaC
    @Pyrage
    @Alessio1989
    @Fox2232
    @Astyanax
    and everyone else for the help! :D

akbaar, Fox2232 and MerolaC like this.
  20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yes, return to IRQ everything related to audio.

I am happy it's working again!

Eastcoasthandle likes this.