AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I still have the fan issues with these drivers. It just does not save my custom fan profile on boot and every damn time i have to reset it and upload it again. Ffs amd fix that crap already.

2. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Just had the first time Amd Radeon Software (settings) failed to launch properly, and instead it opened an empty window blurring the desktop contents on its background. Log out and in to windows solve it. IIRC, I've seen reports of this since the first 19.12.2.

Unrelated: It'd help if, in the game profiles list, those with non-default/custom settings would be marked as "enabled" or similar, like in 2019 drivers. This is so one keeps better track of manually changed settings for specific games.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Not the greatest quality but should be sufficient. :)

4. half_empty_soul

half_empty_soul Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    Gigabyte RX 5700 XT - still totally random crashing Battlefield 5
    How come 19.12.1 works like a charm, anything newer is just a trash?

PrEzi likes this.

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Still loading Manual Tuning instead of Automatic sometimes...
    Still checking for new drivers, even though it is set to Manual...

This app kinda seems like someone's side project...

Have not had a system lock-up with HW accelerated Firefox, at least...yet...

Undying likes this.
  6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Don't you see it? Now it looks FANCY!

warlord likes this.
  7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Viewsonic XG2401? :cool:

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    And it has impressive audiovideo during installation! It sounds like its looks. :D

Digilator likes this.
  9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    A clear victory for TEAM RED! Go AMD go!!! :cool:

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its annoying but not a dealbreaker. I had the same issue with pre 2020 drivers but they fixed it later on so fingers crossed. Chrome hw acceleration disabled no issues or black screens. Polaris has no such problems as Navi.
    Maybe there is some particular cards with issues and ones that dont have, idk.

11. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    makes two of us. Don't even remember posting that. Whoops.

12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Not deal breakers, but they do show something, and it doesn't look good...

I YouTubed this black screen issue. Oddly, I indeed do not get it - only system lock-ups. Guessing it is quite rare, as it isn't listed...

13. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Yes

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/9d93047b69c1467a26d6be1e1b69ac60e1ee9aa6

Looks like some AMD bug with Vulkan for one of the newer ReShade commits, maybe one of the AMD Vanguard users here could send that to AMD and see it given some attention?

Quite a few VLK additions in the newest ReShade code commits though I believe this is one of the only genuine bugs on AMD and the rest comes down to extension and feature support or lack thereof and how that's handled not outright issues.
    (One of the earlier additions should also fix ReShade crashing on AMD GPU's due to a missing texture format or something though that's more for how the driver supports or doesn't support certain things and then handles it not immediate bugs.)

EDIT: Or something like that, seemed to be about the fastest way to get it noticed and then replicated and closed.

Jackalito likes this.
  15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Thanks Jonas, forwarded the issue to important people :)

Jackalito likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Good to hear that. :)

Been following ReShade and the changes since 4.5.3 looking into why it crashed on AMD and assumed it was mostly down to changes related to Vega and Navi but after reading up a number of discussions around the ReShade discord and forums and checking the commits it does seem that AMD and NVIDIA do have a few differences in what they support and how this gets supported or handled so until this commit and it's pretty clearly spelled out commentary it seemed more like bug fixes and making ReShade itself more robust or conforming to newer Khronos / Vulkan standards and specifications and intended behavior for the API.

Bit on a eye opener but I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise with how Microsoft initially recommended D3D12 to larger game engine makers or bigger studios and even some of the core ones involved around Mantle and then D3D12 and Vulkan like Dice has faced a number of challenges implementing the API well in their own titles.

Makes it clear just how complex it is and how important and also difficult it is to keep track on and make it work well for AMD, NVIDIA and also Intel for how different bits are supported even with standards in place for core functionality and features.
    (And leaving the developers as the ones primarily in charge seems like it's going to make things like multi-GPU support and other more advanced features even less likely to be utilized unless a GPU vendor is directly involved in the development of the game or engine itself in some way.)

Anyways so yeah been tracking ReShade additions looking for fixes and what's coming up and saw the commit here and the discussions on the Discord channel for ReShade itself around it, seemed important and also part of a actual bug that could affect Vulkan stability overall thus potentionally being a bit of a higher priority.
    Red Dead Redemption 2 gets a frequent pipeline cache corruption and out of memory errors but of note is that this also happens on NVIDIA and might be more frequent as of a earlier game update again going into games and game engines and developers and their role in low level API usage and support and maintenance much as the display driver part itself is still important same as before. (Maybe actually even more so.)

EDIT: Well I wouldn't know the internals of Vulkan or D3D12 but the description on the issue itself is clear on what's going on.

Jackalito likes this.
  17. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Guessing that gets placed above the issues more people are having... :)

18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Got same. Looks like was a good choice indeed, since it seems to matter.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Easy to replicate and fix perhaps but the unlisted but known issues are probably quite extensive from reports back since at least the early 2019 drivers by this point and numerous problems that might still be around.
    Not sure if the OpenGL breakage in 19.12.1 is resolved either and then there's a months long issue with Radeon VII memory clocks, year long issue with Vega and it's boost clocks plus a general year long issue with how the fan curve in Wattman isn't a curve at all.

Add to that multi display issues, problems with options going missing with Adrenaline 2020 or options resetting, regressions with Polaris, Vega and earlier GPU's such as also hitting black screen crashes and general stability and game specific issues.
    Hardware acceleration feels like it breaks every few months and comes back (How that can happen, there should be a team testing for regressions and keeping backwards compatibility it has some other name or term but it's a thing.) and then a number of differences between the Windows driver situation and Linux driver where a few things work differently, meaning they actually work much better. (Consistent clock speeds on Navi and lower power usage as something I learned recently.)

Probably forgetting stuff and that's true for NVIDIA too where I think there's a couple of NvAPI issues going back like a year or so but I keep almost no track on the state of the driver issues on NVIDIA and I've basically given up on trying to sort and track AMD's because of Adrenaline 2020 and numerous recurring problems that were fixed earlier but somehow came back.
    Much as I do like the January and first February drivers fixing stuff up even more the driver should never have been OK'ed and shipped and even internal testing pre-Vanguard should have blocked it from release for some of these regressions and their severity personally but eh it happened and what's done is done.

EDIT: Guessing if it was easy enough to replicate the black screen Navi issue 100% and tracking and fixing that made it just go away that'd have been done already though my belief is that numerous smaller and larger issues cause some type of severe GPU crash or shut down and AMD's fixing of several also black screen crash symptoms indicate as much too but for a full fix yeah who knows and then there's a possibility of a hardware related problem complicating it too.

Could also be a similar situation on how the GPU does clocking up and down and why that's only now getting confirmed as a known issue and hopefully we'll see at least a improvement on the worst affected API's and specific titles ideally in a soon to be released driver but these things do take time.
    (Major API changes would be months or over a year actually although I'd hope some of these fixes won't be that problematic.)

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As for reporting the issue there's the AMD issue tracker, internals for logging in Radeon Settings that might also help or the AMD Reddit or forums where chances are it gets kinda buried.
    My own skill or lack thereof on Vulkan (And D3D12) wouldn't help at all but the commentary and info provided with that commit can and the simplest seemed to have a detailed bug report forwarded by the team AMD's using for this sort of thing.

Listing it and confirming it is one thing though, scheduling and priorities and the time for testing to release of a new public driver could still mean this ends up in a March or later driver release unless escalated as a higher priority fix depending on whatever AMD's internal driver coders and teams decide (Think there's at least three or something as far as I heard.) but at least it helps getting it filed and reported plus the details makes it easier to work with rather than "Vulkan broken." or what would be sent as a generic bug report.

Though that can work at times, downclocking issue in particular seems consistent across a fair number of games so just testing any one of those might confirm the GPU clocks fluctuating.
    But that doesn't quite confirm if it's more severe on certain types of hardware or not, driver versions and a specific OS or other third party software from what I can tell it seems the display thing in particular is interesting the Vanguard users on the AMD Reddit for what's going on as a more recent development although that might also point to more general hardware issues with the scalar or higher-refresh displays of some type.

Would prefer most of these fixed within the Q1 2020 period but I suspect it will take a bit more time although at least both are now acknowledged by AMD in the release notes even if it took a bit too long for just getting to that point.

EDIT: Black screen problem must be a really fun one too, hardware review like Gamers Nexus sending a bunch of Navi's to their staff and everyone encounters different issues or the recent Jay video and all kinds of driver problems (Though that was with a 5700 - 5700XT flash which is also a factor.) and user wise there's at least half a dozen recommendations and nothing really confirms or fully verifies where this problem actually is or a good way to reliably replicate the problem as affected games vary from one report to another or even with similar systems and the same games tested.

That one is going to be a [beep] to fix fully due to how random and inconsistent that must be to actually try and test for in their little lab internally at AMD for this sort of thing.
    (Well I suppose that's always a factor, can't replicate it can't debug it and resolve it after all.)