A question about NV FPS limiter, G-Sync compatible display and single play games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mbk1969, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This is worth it to watch:

and after that:

Kolt likes this.
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    According to Battle(non)sense, the input lag increases when using an internal limiter + ultra setting of ULL. Considering that, it pretty much should always be best to use ULL ultra + frame rate limiter v3, as this way the lag is always decently low (both while being in fps limit and when dropping below). ULL ultra + frame rate limiter v3 should usually be preferred over RTSS or in-game limiters, as it has low input latency and good precision at the same time. I think Battle(non)sense didn't test ultra setting of ULL + frame rate limiter v3.
    Frame rate limiter v3 gets automatically activated in non D3D12/Vulkan apps when using ultra setting of ULL and enabling vsync when there is VRR activated, it then caps slightly below the maximum refresh rate (e.g. ~17ms for 60Hz maximum). It's pretty much "set & forget" (apart from D3D12/Vulkan), you can of course additionally also set lower cap values to achieve more stable frame rates.

In D3D12/Vulkan, it is still like it was before ULL: Try the game's internal limiter if available, and if it shows good results in terms of lag and consistency, set it to at least 1-2 frames below maximum refresh rate and enable vsync. If the internal limiter is crap, frame rate limiter v3 should be best choice instead (not lowest lag possible, but nothing you can do about it).

Vsync doesn't increase lag in these cases since it's only meant to absorb occasional frame rate limiter inaccuracy and there is no waiting for vsync backbuffers with VRR.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  3. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I'm using 1, i had no idea ultra limits your frames, that's new.
    But it feels like it does the same with 1 then, because as stated above, numbers over 144 will still count as 143/144, only at 240, it changes it.

4. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    are people still using the frame rate limiter modes 4 or 10 for reduced stuttering? or was that just a thing for csgo?, this thing for example: 0x00000010 PS_FRAMERATE_LIMITER_2_CONTROL_ALLOW_ALL_MAXWELL
    on top of ull and the cap?

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I've seen CS:GO working fine with ULL ultra + vsync/FreeSync (59fps @ 60Hz), RTSS frame time graph was a flat line after caching shaders.
    Though the game has nasty input latency regardless and it's pretty much required to also turn off its multithreading option in the game's menu.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    With VRR, you can set your fps cap to whatever you want. For some games I set 90, for some others I set 120, generally whatever gives me a consistent framerate in that particular game, avoiding huge FPS jumps. Having the framerate stick within a range of about 10-15 FPS feels more consistent than allowing the game to constantly jump from 80FPS to 140FPS and then back and to anywhere in-between.

So just limit the FPS to a value that makes the game feel consistent to you. The rule of thumb is that your cap should be the framerate the game is able to reach 90% of the time.

HandR, Undying and mbk1969 like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also I noticed a behaviour which puzzled me. I tried to set refresh rate of 120Hz in NVIDIA CPL. But when I launched a game I saw 144Hz again. To me this is strange.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you have set the preferred refresh rate to "highest available" in the 3D settings, games that run in fullscreen will always switch to max Hz.

This is actually what you want when using gsync. It does not make sense to use 120Hz instead of 144Hz with gsync. 120Hz is usually better for the desktop (for watching 30 and 60FPS videos without stutter.) So if you set the refresh rate to 120, but set "highest available" in the 3D settings, you should get the optimal setup: 120Hz in the desktop, 144Hz in fullscreen games.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    on gsync displays the highest available preferred refresh rate setting will always do this for fullscreen games.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I see. Thank you.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep, exact same logic for me.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, I got frustrated by inability to calibrate brightness and colors (with bare eyes), so I got an actual calibrating device (and software), and now I am happy as an elephant (a steady idiom here in Russia, though I don`t know its origins).