End users start petition in an effort to 'Make Windows 7 Free'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    "We demand" ... wtf... why would anyone even think that they can demand anything. It ain't yours.
    And by simply saying "demand" which is aggressive, any higher up that this is aimed at will disregard it immediately.
    "We implore you to consider", the community would appreciate... something like that.

On one hand they are blasting 7, and then they demand an open source version that will be a nightmare for microsoft to create. From a legal and technical point of view.

toyo likes this.
  2. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    We Demand? WE DEMAND?? That's the way to get off on the right foot.

3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    making windows 7 open source dont mean crap if it cant run on new hardware.

toyo likes this.
  4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well i m not sure who wrote the post, but FREE software is not OPEN SOURCE software.
    Windows 7 for free is dangerous.
    WIndows 7 open source is dangerous and useless unless a tons of developer will jump to improve it.

The first week of Open Source release will just bring to discover 1000 undiscovered vulnerabilities, while it would take time with people understanding the codebase and fixing it.

Not sure who wrote that petition but is wrong.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Oh well looks like that the gnu definition of free has a precondition to be OS.
    I still think is wrong, as today if microsoft wasn't able to fixit, that giant codebase is of probably no use.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wasn't aware FSF was run by a bunch of teenage neckbeards, except since they're teenagers, it's more like patchy-peachfuzzes.

I've never bought a Windows license and hate the business practices of MS, but even I know how ridiculous it is to demand Windows 7 be free, and even more ridiculous to ask for source code. That's like a random stranger asking you for your wallet and unlocked phone. "Sure, no problem. Ruin my life, see if I care!"

airbud7, anticupidon and Tiny_Clanger like this.
  7. Wait......people pay for windows?

airbud7, toyo, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  8. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    [​IMG]

:D;):cool:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, this could never be released free to the community to allow for further modifications by the community - it's got Microsoft branding, so they can't have software associated with their name that has been modified in God knows which ways by the community with which Microsoft will have had zero input. It's a naive request. The only way is if they completely remove any branding to Microsoft and Windows when they release it...and instead it would be called something else determined by the community modders. Not gonna happen though.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Naive is the word here.

11. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    true FSF members have proper beards :D

[​IMG]

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    By using the phrase "We demand" they negated their whole petition...

anticupidon likes this.
  13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Not only do I disagree with this request there is zero chance in hell this occurs. Plus what little kid wrote these demands? Its like they have Bill gates mouse held hostage and only if the demands are met they will let him go. I get the FSF's point they are trying to make but then I also have no issue with MS having closed software that they sell for a profit as it is completely there IP they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Hey FSF you want free software? Build it!

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Some people crazy and diluted, MS isnt gonna hand out Windows OS as open source are they crazy? we have enough security warning and flaws in things with the people actual look for that out to puplic, and cause panic, with out actual having source code, if they had source code can you image the panic when flood gates open even more with the security flaws?

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Isn't it time to move on? What's the attraction to indefinitely using an outdated OS? Even if there are some great reasons, why would MS do this at all?

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    mircosoft will never do it for a few reasons, 1 it would undermine windows 10, which they already had massive problems getting people to migrate, 2 they don't want people to see the fountains of spaghetti hidden within.

Embra likes this.
  17. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Lets start slowly and at least make some drivers for Windows open source or develop unofficial open source drivers for Windows.. Security still could be fixed by some third party antivirus software and shield as always, there always where holes in even supported Windows OS.

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The fact that you did not pay money from your wallet does not mean you never paid for a license.
    If you got it in your computer or device, is still a licensed you bought.

If you have been all the time with a pirated copy, that is bad.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I thought I said "I never bought a Windows license directly" specifically because of what you said but I guess I didn't. Regardless, considering all the adware that comes with so many computers, you're technically getting Windows for free anyway (especially if you just wipe the drive and reinstall un-branded Windows with the key it came with).
    But, of computers that Windows came with which I bought myself, there were actually only 3 total: one of them I ditched in about 2 months because I hated it and another came with Windows 10 S (which isn't even a full version of Windows). So in effect, I only "paid" for one full Windows license with my own money my whole life. I have installed Windows in a few other cases, but usually through recycling licenses from junked PCs. Today, I don't really use Windows at all.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Next they'll want to ask game publishers to make unsupported games free. Imagine Activision making all the previous COD games free. LOL