Microsoft to release one more update (free) for Windows 7, correcting the black wallpaper issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That 10 years flew by it seems.

airbud7 and emperorsfist like this.
  3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeap, seems like last week I was installing the first preview builds after finishing secondary school.

4. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    M$ would be clever to offer the ESU to 'normal' customers as well... so who wants to still stick with 7 for the next 2 years would have a real option.

But I would't be surprised when they screw up Win10-Users the same way, when a successor arrives. :-/

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Lawyers probably told them that they would be legally liable for leaving the OS in a damaged state.

warlord likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I been using Windows since Windows 95 and never been screwed over. I always made sure to switch to a new OS two or more years prior before the other goes EOL.

People seem to forget Microsoft has been supporting Windows 7 for nearly 11 years... 11 years... 11 years.

Yeah, i wish Samsung supported their mobile devices for that long.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If buying a new Microsoft PC was the only way to get a new version of Windows, I'm sure they would follow Samsung's practise too

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I waited with upgrade to W10 until recently, its a so-so... had some issues already but I was able to solve the retarded problems fortunately (win 10 kept installing redundant sound drivers crippling the whole PC, no matter what you did to prevent that)

So yea, after god knows how many years, W10 seem to be usable system, when you spend few weeks tweaking, that is.

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm sure MS will provide more patches in the future. Still have a ton of Windows 7 based PC's in use they can't ignore that. I suspect a decent amount of Windows 7 usage will stick around 5+ years. Honestly how many of us non-business users actually call Microsoft for windows support anyhow? So realistically all you loose is new patches going forward. Personally I have been on Windows 10 since it came out but if people want to stay on the old I can't blame them there is certainly some stability with the old.

10. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Most people of this forum will be ok with an outdated OS, as we know how to properly use it. I have been using windows with no antivirus for years (excluding windows defender). I Think it will be nice to deliver us a free OS like windows 7 or XP, in science theres a lot of software (and some equipment) with only XP or 7 support.

11. Mikeztm

Mikeztm Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    It's extremely dangers for you to keep using EOL'd OS. Yes especially for you that's extra dangers.

You imagined you knows everything while having totally no knowledge of 0-days. They are not related to virus thus antivirus can do nothing to them.

Cluelessly trust your wrong information will cost you more than those knows nothing and just keep cautious to everything.

Nekrosleezer and insp1re2600 like this.
  12. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    I use plain black as my desktop background anyways.

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    rookie numbers, RHEL 5 is still supported . albiet in a maintenance state

Mikeztm likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it isnt.

Its more dangerous to be tech illiterate and use a current OS.

15. Mikeztm

Mikeztm Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    It is much dangerous to use a EOL'd OS as daily driver as this already proof he is at least half-way tech illiterate.

Running those OS in separated NAT and VM is required for any safe usages. Those who claims they are not tech illiterate and not meeting these requirements just showing they are indeed tech illiterate in the field of cyber security.

With current Intel MDS issues. the Host of the VM need to be fully patched to prevent system access from inside the VM.

Tech illiterate using an up to date OS were not affected by "Eternal Blue" at that time. How that's more dangerous then using EOL'd systems on a bare-metal machine with no protection?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're amusing, wrong and amusing.

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The so-called power users refusing to move on from unsupported Windows, or run Win8 without having updated it for years, are their own worst enemy. And their PCs being part of botnets actually do affect everyone else in the end.

I totally get why Microsoft did decide to finally force updates in Win10, seeing again and again how Windows systems are infected, when they actually have released security updates against those exploits. Though I do agree that it's too aggressive.

Though if you do think Windows 10 itself is plagued by too many issues, you could always let your grandma use Ubuntu LTS instead.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The so called power users are more "in the know" then you and don't get infected.

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Power user, knows when your software is EOL, you disconnect the Internet and you don't care. No idiots wannabes who shout about make w7 foss.

20. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Why don't you educate him? I would like to see this continue, you both sound very informed about the situation.