The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    AMD Ryzen 3800X well the tweak is real .Recorded 1 hour of RDR2 and sustained CPU clocks were up to 4600Mhz with and average around 4525Mhz-4550Mhz.
    Video

Video:Highest normal Boost is still 4650Mhz. With 4600Mhz average boost

Light gaming loads all core boost up to 4625Mhz Outlast 2

Normal to heavy gaming loads all core boost 4575Mhz Red Dead Redemption 2

BF5 4550Mhz

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    You have AI tweak PBO on Auto or disabled? I have them on auto and everything else as far as I know set to what people are saying but with this settings I'm only hitting:
    4.375ghz 4 cores
    4.350ghz 2 cores
    4.325ghz 2 cores

I dont know what I'm missing?!?

Update:
    Messed with C state setting. Now getting:
    4.400ghz 3 cores
    4.375ghz 3 cores
    4.350ghz 2 cores

In game I'm maxing out @ 4.3ghz with dips to 4.275ghz. Old settings I was hitting 4.375-4.350ghz.

But still no better than old setting I was using. I do have BIOS modded for 100mhz CLK wonder if thats issue?? Somethings not set right.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    If you guys have the same motherboard
    @Clouseau could upload his profile and @Mr. Sunshine you could download and install said profile if you are on the same BIOS and test it out.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    I was going to ask that. Thats how I'm using 100mhz clk. I did default the bios and still only getting 4.392ghz(4.4) for max. So I have to be missing something.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Those ASUS BIOS have a poop load of stuff,easy to miss something.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    I have tried a few different settings and none seem to work. If anything I get instability (3 boot fail to bios) and or less performance(3.950ghz vs 4.175ghz multi-core CB15). I'm really at a loss. Like I said before I even defaulted BIOS and load those setting to no luck. Which I find odd because @Clouseau and I have same board... he does have a 3800X vs my 3700X but I dont see that being issue. Plus seems that everyone is having luck with this new settings.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah It is possible you just got a bad CPU but I really do not think so or you are expecting to much.I have a different motherboard but here are my settings for the videos I posted above.I added CPU offset voltage for higher sustained CPU clocks but you could leave yours auto.

Now Motherboards have close to the same names ,just those Asus motherboard have a lot of fluff/settings LOL,set your motherboard all auto and maybe try to find the settings similar to mine and see if you get any difference,your PBO Override setting will not go as high as mine but it makes no difference.Also you do not need to go in the AMD overclocking section,there are different places to set PBO settings.

PBO settings-not AMD overclocking section.
    [​IMG]CPUConfig by gerard fraser, on Flickr

Voltages CPU/DRAM/SOC

CPU Features-I have SVM Mode on you would want that off,unless you do virtualization stuff

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    As requested I have included screen shots of my bios settings. This is only provided as a reference. The settings are not guaranteed to work on your rig even though they work on mine. If all one is interested in is the PBO section settings, it is the last capture in the second post. @Mr. Sunshine I will private message you with a link to my bios settings .cmo file.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Needed a part two...too many screen captures

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Thank you sir! Looks to be working now! I'll post screen shots later but for now I'm getting:

Core 0- 4.425ghz
    Core 1- 4.400ghz
    Core 2- 4.400ghz
    Core 3- 4.450ghz
    Core 4- 4.375ghz
    Core 5- 4.425ghz
    Core 6- 4.375ghz
    Core 7- 4.400ghz

CPU Z- before: 536.0 and 5584.4
    now: 544.9 and 5644.6

CB15 is acting weird... old scores were 205/2180s new score is 205/2130s doesnt seem to clock as high all core losing 100-125mhz from old settings.

Played Division 2, CPU stayed at 4.375ghz all core... hit 4.00ghz here and there. with max burst to 4.425ghz on 2-3 cores.

But Time Spy physics score went down from 11,017 to 10,669 so there is some multi core tweaking to do... I'll have to see if it can get back the 2.5-3% loss in multi core apps

Update:
    So no matter what I do(voltage,other setting) seem that to increase the single core boost you have to lower multi core clocks at least in intense CPU programs(CB, multi core physics, etc) but light-mid multi core loads seems to benefit.

CB15, CB20, Time Spy- dropped from 4.1250-4.150ghz to 4.025ghz multi thread.

CPU-Z, Hand brake, 7-zip, W prime increased from 4.150-4.175 to 4.20-4.225ghz multi thread.

Looking at the bench numbers between the two I would have to say up difference is with error(1-2%) on most. Largest was Timespy CPU at 3%.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I learned something today and it makes me sad,now I am going to sell my 4K OLED TV's and 144Hz+ monitors and stick to my favorite 4K 60Hz monitor which I actually game on 99% of the time.

Anyway dude tells me running 60FPS you get higher CPU boost Clock and I was like I had never noticed,poop to my surprise he was correct,so made video.

EDIT:BF5 2560x1440 Ultra settings
    Default BIOS setting @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4350Mhz - 4425Mhz - Avg 4400Mhz
    BIOS boost EDC set to 1A @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4475Mhz - 4550Mhz - Avg 4525Mhz
    BIOS boost EDC set to 10A @60 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4500Mhz - 4575Mhz - Avg 4525Mhz
    BIOS boost EDC set to 1A @120 FPS Cap- CPU Frequency Range 4450Mhz - 4525Mhz - Avg 4475Mhz

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Why? Got my first 144Hz monitor a few months ago. I cannot go back to 60. Long as game play is smooth, all is good in the neighborhood. There is too much focus on 60. 60 Frames per second, 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour. All we need to complete the list is 60 hours in a day, 60 days in a week, 60 weeks in a month, and 60 months in a year. I am a 144Hz man now; been converted...not slowing down. Even electricity in the USA is in on the conspiracy...120V @ you guessed it 60Hz.

Seriously though...would have never thought. Somethings one just needs to see with their own eyes before it is believed. Wow, just wow.

Evildead666 likes this.
  13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Hee Hee that is funny stuff,I have been gaming with 144Hz monitors since ,I do not even know how long,I am fine with 60FPS ,I am old does not matter to me.

I would never believe it if I did not see it ,CPU speed was affect by limiting FPS to 60FPS,shoot I should have tried 30FPS. Crazy messed up world we live in today,people believe the earth is flat ,there is no space and aliens are traveling millions of light years to visit earth.

Now this CPU speed affected by FPS Oh my what is going on these days,crazy kids
    To the nutbars ,no need to try to prove the earth is flat and blah blah blah .That was a semi stupid funny attempt at humor on my part.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    56 here. Hit the speed limit last year and still going strong. AARP is scary...they knew I hit 55 before I did. Father signed my mother up...as a joke. May do the same. Wife has a good sense of humor.

15. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    CPU usage is higher when running 144Hz so boost is lower. Makes perfect sense.

16. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Your going to become GPU limited as you go up in Refresh rate/resolution anyways. Its always nice to get more CPU performance but I doubt we would see difference @ Ultra settings, 120/144hz and 1440 or higher. Maybe in a few games....

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Found something weird about my cpu. Been playing with the PBO tweak for a bit. Single threaded performance tanks hard for negative cpu voltage offsets except for two steps. Those steps are -0.04375 and -0.06875. Every other single step, the single threaded performance tanks. Performance suffers all the way around @ -.06875 so only have two valid settings currently, Auto and -.04375. Not testing positive offsets. Rig already gets hot enough when on Auto.

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I would have never thought about it,at all ,I was just surprised that someone would be so anal to make that a point on something they do not agree with.Then again it is the internet.
    When you think about it ,makes sense,why yes it does.

I play 4K 99% of the time, except games like RDR2 even on low settings 4K with RTX 2080 still sucks,hell I only have 4K monitors hooked up to computer.
    Those test in video of CPU Boost were 2560x1440 Ultra settings.

Single can tank ,Ultimate Power plan has least impact for EDC 1A and suggestion EDC 8A-12A for best single thread results from this thread.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1741052-edc-1-pbo-turbo-boost.html

Also original link here in this thread, also describes single threaded performance loss.

Clouseau likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Technically, to produce frame, CPU has to run certain number of cycles.
    When you cap fps under minimum achievable fps, which in case of 60 is True, you end up with empty CPU cycles in between frames production.

That means, it no longer matters that you get higher/lower clock.

On top of that, empty cycles mean lower power draw => not hitting power limits as much.
    But at same time, CPU has no reason to clock higher because "race to idle" is not something AMD/intel does on desktops. (And I expect both stopped doing it in notebooks too. As it does not reflect to real world scenarios. It only makes better benchmark scores.)
    Surely, AMD auto-downclocks GPU when not fully utilized. And they do same with underutilized CPU cores.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No need for Ultimate Power Plan. There were three offset settings where single threaded performance remained intact. The person in the original article did not play with offsets and if they did, did not go over each and every step .00625v at a time till hitting .1000v. Similar concept as finding that setting EDC to 1 causes the algorithm to function in an unexpected fashion. Setting the cpu voltage offset to -0.04375v allows single threaded performance to not be broken and is still under the the -0.0500v offset that Gamers Nexus stated was the maximum offset before clock stretching occurred.