DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Screw it, I'm pre-ordering now. I'll buy the game anyway so just as well!

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That was my thought.
    I knew I was going to get it, so... got a bonus last year, said screw it. Bought the game.

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i hold my reason why TOW got blown up is more valid since i recall many years of shill media giving a pass on bethesdas games but holding obsidian a a higher bar.

lest to my casual mind having played both studios games they equally buggy and obsidian is routinely better written and directed. going back years.

so bethesda making a fun buggy sandbox to faff about it is not the same as creating a great rpg that is where the sticking point is for us sick to death of the todd howard era appeal to the normie masses so a child can play and give them something shiny and let them fix it make it fun for us, WHILE TRYING TO MAKE YOU PAY FOR MODS. hence why 76 is SUCH a sticking point the degree of lies and violation of the consumer is jaw dropping.

so glad we so willing to brush that aside for skyrim in space. and skyrim in morrowwind of course that is in some state of development.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hexen 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorite titles.
    I would love for there to be a third game.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Wouldn't Hexen need an approval from Activision (since they own Raven now)?

6. I dunno I really enjoyed Heretic, but Hexen, even though it's supposed to be the sequel to Heretic, was somehow forgettable and TBH I enjoyed Heretic even more than Doom.
    I can't even believe it's been 25 years already...

7. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I think that Hexen can turn people off by putting too much emphasis on melee combat with hordes of enemies at the beginning. The melee is "basic" but it's set against too many monsters, so it gets repetitive. Heretic and Doom also have a melee weapon, but there are way more ranged ones to choose from.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Absolutely :) My point is that a publisher can either let the developer follow their vision and have creative freedom or decide everything in order to make the game earn as much money as possible.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ah, I see :)

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Activision owns the development rights to the Heretic/Hexen series. While id Software owns the publishing rights.
    For a new game in the series to be made, either both companies would have to work out a deal together... or one would have to give up their respective rights.

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeah, I though so. This also rules out any remasters.

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The talk of older games reminds me of how impressed I was by ID's phone games. DOOM RPG and Orcs & Elves were perfect for that format.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I do find it kind of funny.

I've seen people losing their crap because you can kind of, barely, slightly see the Doom Slayer's face through the visor on his helmet.
    Yet, in Doom 1, 2 and 3... his face was fully visible.
    And, since Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom 2, following the same marine... we know what he looks like.

DOOM 2016 is the first main game in the series to not show his face.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean, it's not from Doom 2016...But fun little easter egg in Quake Champions.
    [​IMG]

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Pretty sure the DOOM2016 model has a face too but you rarely or ever see it short of model viewers, would have liked the little bobbing head display as a throwback nod to the earlier games though. :D
    There's not too much to the dude either or his appearance since the first games but if Eternal does follow closely to DOOM2 as a sort of re-imagining of that then Doomy's going to be real pissed when he's back and sees how things have gone with that pet rabbit of his.

Though DOOM-16 is a bit different of the earlier guys that were mainly USMC I think stuck on less than stellar jobs on UAC's Mars facility.

EDIT: Wonder if the leaked details are true too for the DLC and stuff, been accurate thus far though so maybe.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

JonasBeckman likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Quote from og Doom manual:

"You are a Space Marine..."

(Is it weird I remember this kind of stuff...)

Btw strongly suggest playing Doom 64 if you haven't. There are good sourceports available.

The ending basically confirms Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Doom 2016 and now Eternal are canon (and explains how 2016 game starts the way it does).

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's definitely from quake champions.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Quake 4 remake in id tech 7 would be amazing. Idk but i kinda liked that game even though everyone thought it was crap.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB