Not sure what to get: HTC vive or Oculus Rift S?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by mike2299, Sep 17, 2019.

1. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Any suggestions? Which one has better game selection?
    Mostly would like to play FPS. Much appreciated!

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The HTC this week just discontinued the Vive, so if you do buy one don't pay full price for it, as i assume any left in retailers might see a price drops to get rid of now defunct stock.......and as for Oculus a few weeks ago they pulled some Apple type anti consumer nonsense and stopped selling CV1 accessories, so if they are dropping support ever 3 plus years for VR hardware then that might not be the company you want to invest your money on, plus they seem to be moving away from PCVR and moving onto mobile vr with the Quest.......so at this point i can't personally really say which would be better, BUT!, me personally, and while i have the CV1, if i saw a Vive new bundle going for the same price as a Rift S right now, i would grab the Vive bundle in a heartbeat, simply because i don't like the route that Oculus seem to be taking, plus the Vive has steam VR and that is almost a unlimited selection of VR games, but as i said that is just my personal view......as for me i am waiting until next year before i look at upgrading my present VR setup, but the valve Index, although too costly for me to justify at present, is at the top of the list so far, i will just have to wait and see.

Hope you find something you like, also look at some cheap WMR VR headsets, there are a lot of good ones out there.

Undying likes this.
  3. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Thanks Xp200!

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Well, talk about fate, i was just roaming ebay fighting sleep and low and behold, i found a ebay shop who had just stuck up 4 brand new Vive bundles for £399, the box has been opened by them to check but everything else brand new and unused and sold as new, so i grabbed one, i mean £399.......so if you are still looking for one roam ebay for a sale like this. lol

Looks like will be dumping Oculus now, and i was quite happy with them for the last two years with the Cv1, but their recent poor consumer moves have lost a lot of goodwill i had for them.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i just got the Vive and set it up and WOW!....i am like a blind man who can now see, i had no idea the god ray glare issue on my CV1 was this bad, the Vive makes my CV1 look like it has grease smeared all over the lens i kid you not, blown away by the clarity of the vive compared to what i have been using for 2 years, yes the Vive does have GR as well but nothing to the smeared mess that my CV1 has, i am gobsmacked by the difference........and that extra FOV is phenomenal,.......really let me double down hereand say if you can grab a new Vive bundle on sale are as last stock now that it has been discontined then grab it with both hands.....i am now packing my CV1 up and it will be heading towards the nearest secondhand shop as soon as i get time as you could never go back and using it now. :eek:

6. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Thanks!

7. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Just be wary of HTC's customer service if anything goes wrong... never been angrier at customer service. :|

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    We have a little thing in the UK called trading standards office, i have used them a couple of times over the years when companies have been less than helpful, Sony and Game uk being the last time i had to get them involved over the first Pro Limited edition i bought, Game refused to change it as they said the fan noise was normal and any manufacturing issues or defects were Sonys responsibility, Sony said it was nothing to do with them period, both being asshats.....contacted trading standards and a week later i was sitting with a new GOD pro, of course it was only then that i found out they all sounded like this......so it is nice to have such a organisation in your corner for these companies that seem to think they are above other countries consumer laws. :)

386SX likes this.
  9. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Happy New Year to everyone!
    So I got a HTC Vive Cosmos. It works great with my MSI with RTX 2060 laptop.
    I play mostly horror and exploration games, like Kobold, Do No Knock Twice, The Solus Project, Blades and Sorcery, (for my son).

I also installed Virtual Desktop app from Steam that allows to play non-3D games on a giant virtual screen. That did not work well, since I hoped that non-3D games would look in stereo. I still have my old Sony 3D goggles from 2010 that create an amazing 3D effect in any game via HDMI.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I recently grabbed Boneworks and it is a game changer, just jaw dropping and stunning and as far as i am concerned its has raised the bar dramatically, so roll on HL:A VR, it should be stunning.

11. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Agreed on Boneworks, easily my favourite VR game.
    If you like horror games you should give Organ Quarter a go! I nope out very quickly every time.

12. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Thanks friends!

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    So seeing as you have a 20xx card have you tried your VR games with VRSS option that came with the latest drivers and is only avalible to Turing cards, i have been reading a lot of talk about it and it seems to be a mixed bag, a bit like RT, some can see a difference while others can't notice anything, apart from a performance hit when turned on it seems. lol

14. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Tried this last night, waste of time for me, get better performance at 120% SS. What a shame... I was hoping this was going to be a magical massive performance+graphical boost.

XP-200 likes this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeah that seems to be the opinion coming from those that have tried it, shame as the way nvida were selling it we were about to see a massuve leap in vr visuals, oh well....back to Borderlands 2 vr and 2 hours of standing backache. Lol

16. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    E: my bad, wrong thread!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020