ATX12VO: Future Power Supplies will not have 24-pins ATX connector anymore, but 10-pins

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its feasible if they are dumping support for SATA and going ahead with consumer SAS,

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Anything that removes clutter, but no features or performance is a win in my book.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Let me guess, every new intel processor will require a new PSU plug now too eh?
    /sarcasm

I have often wondered if the 24pin connector was necessary, I'm just betting it'll take forever for a change to actually happen.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    motherboards are going to get more expensive.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My fingers will be happy when this happens. Don't know about you guys, but for me the 24 pin is always a pain to work with. When I build my latest Ryzen rig, and had to take out the old X99 mobo it took me like 5 minutes to get the damn thing off. It became so stiff and almost glued, that I was sure I'll end up ripping the mobo apart. I mean, I had problems in the past, but not quite like this last time, lol. :oops:

The Laughing Ma and JonasBeckman like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you even read the pdf?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    To be honest I don't care much about the cable count, it's just the connector that is really bad...
    Otoh, if it somehow helps increase efficiency (for any psu, not just super cheap ones) then bring it on.

Edit: just read a bit more. This should be integrated with new SATA cables that include power. Having 2 cables per device going out of the motherboard is not nice. Specially since each manufacturer is free to put such connectors pretty much anywhere on the board which conflict with case design.

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Pretty much all PSUs today first convert 100-240v AC to 12V DC, then obtain 5V, 3.3V with DC-DC converters inside said PSU.
    But to be honest this is a good move, Laptops have been powered by 19V DC (most of them) for quite a long time, and they do every other conversion internally ( after the battery regulation ).

If these things fit in a slim case of a laptop, it won't be an issue whatsoever to do so on a desktop-sized computer.

... the question is, how long it will take to actually be put in practice.
    AT to ATX took many years to happen, I'm guessing ATX to 12VO will be even longer.

---
    p.s. You know what I would find interesting ?

To devise a standard for a PSU with a connector in which you can plug a lithium battery pack (also standardized). I'm fine with only high-end PSUs having it...

It would make normal desktop computers behave like laptops, just buy a battery pack and attach to it, internal battery backup for power outages, brownouts, spikes etc.
    No fear of unexpected shutdowns and data corruption...

Also, the powered "standby" mode would work nice, keeping data in RAM for Instant-On, even if the computer is unplugged...

Yes of course, there are external UPSs, but those are inefficient, heavy, loud, have that giant transformer... as they have to deal with the high AC voltage.
    This PSU-based battery solution would be slim and elegant, only working at DC levels (12V), and a 13.4V LiPO battery pack can be small and theoretically cheap... as they already are in billions of laptops and other mobile devices.

One can dream...

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah Corsair Type4 cables with some extra thickness to them and getting the cable management to look good and plugging these in with the twist/bend/orient gymnastics that is certainly a challenge though at least the cabling can take it but once it's fitted it's going to remain fitted in, forever. :p
    (Well removing the end bit from the PSU is a thing at least should it ever be required.)

EDIT: Course a straight line from the PSU to the socket also works, cable management pfft.

Solfaur likes this.

11. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Any change that makes more space available on the mobo is a good change. That 24pin thing is just archaic and a monstrosity from decades ago.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    In industrial PC most motherboard supplie the 3.3v and the 5v, PSU are already only in 12v (because it is one of the standard ).
    The bad thing is that yes, motherboard are generaly more expensive.
    As a lot of Intel's "improvement" it will work Only if people adopt it... I don't think it is already won...

Anyway, adaptator will exist, i still have a PSU with 20pin and only molex that still work with 24pin and SATA adaptators for my spark/injector program.

13. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I have seen this all ready on prebuilt from Fujitsu and Dell, maybe this is not new at all, just not a standard.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Looks good to me. The old, humongous connector doesn't fit this decade anymore. In fact it should have disppeared 10 or 20 years ago already. It's ridiculous that thing is used for nothing but to deliver power to the mobo, and not even all of it these days because the CPU got its power elsewhere. You'd think a couple of those wires could at least be used for communicating with the PSU for monitoring info, not just for the power on status, but nah.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Original ATX spec was only 20pin. We didn't move to the 24pin connector until 2004 with the ATX 2.2 spec. Not quite "decades old" yet....and 10 years ago there was little reason to do away with it, as the ATX2.2 spec was still relatively new. 20 years ago, we were using a 20 pin connector...

16. Most OEM systems. Lenovo's and hp's too.

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ive imagined going full DC after eventually getting enough solar panels and batteries, so like 12v wall outlets, and wondered about what to do with my pc and its complicated PSU, now i see thats probably getting addressed later on, and eventually everything will run on usbc, that means almost every device will accept 12v power through it, pretty cool, no more dc>ac>dc

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    *Thomas Edison intensifies*

Kaarme likes this.
  19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Actually, it would have been precisely the perfect time to get rid of it, to replace it with a more handy connector, instead of adding more wires to it.

20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    While you are totally right in your prediction of the future, I'm convinced as well this will happen eventually, the world is far from ready.

First of all, local (in the house itself) energy production and storage is still basically non-existent.
    Yes there are tons of houses with solar panels on them, but if you look at the total number of homes in the world and how many of them have solar/wind directly connected to them... the percentage is microscopic... like 0.0001%
    There are entire cities in poorer countries, hundreds of thousands of people in them, and not a single solar panel in sight. They do have a few smokey coal plants though...

---
    So, come back 50 years from now and there will probably be 12v or 24v outlets in the wall, at least in the "1st world" with the possibility of plugging electronics straight to them with only DC-DC conversion. But I personally think I'll be inside a nice colorful urn by that time...