Windows 10 Queueing Frames in game (false fullscreen mode?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Andre Souza, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Why do you quote me and then actually say nothing to me? What the...

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah but some games disabling FSO doesn't actually work and turn off like it's supposed to.

Unless Microsoft has fixed this in any recent updates. I haven't used my W10 boot in a while. But I can remember several games where disabling FSO didn't actually work. FFXIV, Left Alive, Legend of Heroes VI just off the top of my head.

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Strange and that sucks if it can't be disabled on newer Windows versions. On 1803 it presents no issues. Even editing the registry does not get rid of that?

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Any of the latest BF1, BFV etc enabling disable FSO does nothing, windows key still brings up the desktop in the game.

5. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    Yes. To correct behaviour for FSE when using GPU View is no Flip Queue at all unlike all those rows that I have posted. I don't have an LED mouse but I can never reach ~140ms avg / mean in CSGO response time test in the nowadays while I could repeat that score from time to time a few months before. I tested the game with the 1607 and it still showing these flip lines so I guess CSGO have updated their code to the new flip model in fact.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DXGI for DX12 doesn't have exclusive, it has either independent or directflip

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I never run DX12 with GTX970, was talking DX11 mode.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Dice chooses to use directflip on Windows 8 and 10 for Frostbyte

9. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    That is not true. I have plenty of frametime fluctuations without RTSS even with FSO enabled.

10. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Borderless Fullscreen always gives me issues on my system, erratic frame times resulting in bad/viisible in game stutter. If I can get any game to run true Fullscreen Exclusive it normally runs far more visibly stable and frametimes remain at 16.6 if my hardware can manage a constant 60. I have an old sytem - 3700k/GTX 970 stock/16GB 1600 Ram. Currently using Windows 1909

joe187 likes this.

11. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    What does PresentMon say about it?

12. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    No wonder as anything that is not dx12 does not run in independent flip mode and thus is double buffered.

Install 1709 and have all dx10.1+ game run in that mode. Still waiting on Microsoft to give us a GOD DAMN TOGGLE

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    PapaJohn likes this.
  13. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    You said it brother :)

FSE and independent flip with true immediate + tearing (with optional Nvidia V-Sync/G-Sync).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Well, then it's on your end. Also, you need to enable v-sync for it to work anyway. And it does not work properly at all games, it mostly depends on the type of engine the game uses, on top of that some games require Max Pre-rendered Frames set to "1" for this setting to work on them. If the frametime fluctuates anyway, then that game does not support FSO.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, generally it's a bad idea to run the games that way, this is why MS created FSO to combine Borderless+Fullscreen, but doesn't work properly at some games, but when it does work, it's wonderful imo.

16. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    No dice guys, gotta roll back to a 1709 build minimum, I have well more like I had this machine that I use mostly for media playback and emulation only, this machine was still running 1703 until two weeks when I finally decided to update it to the latest Windows version, what a mistake I made. It's like every new Windows build is just determined to frack me harder and harder.
    The new COD reboot has better frametimes in 1709 according to some youtuber who is almost OCD about this kind of thing, how ironic.

17. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    Can't believe it's taking them that long and still angry they took it out without being able to force it. So many people are misinformed about fso and what it does just because games can't run in independent flip mode and devs labeling borderless fullscreen wrongly as fullscreen confusing everybody that then hate on it.

Microsoft answer? Just removing it. To this day some people don't think you can bypass DWM with flip mode.

1709 was the golden age for me but I have a 3700x and a 2070 so updating is helping my performance.

Every time they release something in the fast ring they disappoint me every time. One of my feedback posts about this is even marked as changes were made in the latest insider build.

Yeah right. Keep lying

PapaJohn likes this.
  18. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Did 1709 have the standby memory issue? I also suffered with in past versions of 10....At this stage I'm seriously just thinking of Linux and enjoying whatever games work on it properly lol

19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Is Windows 1709 pre-standby memory bug or does it still have it? Because I am kind of tired of newer Windows versions with more strange issues, I just don't get MS. It's like they are against the PC gamers. At this rate, the consoles will look like spaceships compared to how bloated and slow Windows is becoming, also why MS never added any feature to solve the standby memory issue is so sad.

PapaJohn and artina90 like this.
  20. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Never had any memory issues but that was on 1703 and my machine maximum up time was only up to a week since I usually dust off on Mondays.
    I don't know about 1709.