Kingpin: Reloaded Revealed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Kolt, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

I'm actually excited for this. This game always stuck with me for some reason,it's also the amazing soundtrack from Cypress hill bumping in the background adding atmosphere. Ive always been hoping for a Kingpin 2. When you talk about gameplay will the A.I also be improved and maybe some added extras/items ( random junk laying around,more furniture in buildings etc ) extended areas to the game that were not in the original ? And maybe some more random Npc's walking around ( Non agressive , or having conversations with each other ) to add some more atmosphere and life to the game ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    ShadowDuke likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    @Damien_Azreal May I ask, is there any info about the pricing/availability? I own Kingpin on GOG, will the remaster also be available for purchase there?

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    We were selling Steam keys at PAX South for $20, discounted for PAX. IIRC normal price is going to be $24.99.

Right now, I know we are doing STEAM. But, I don't see why it wouldn't be on GoG. Specially since Ion Fury and Wrath are there as well.
    But, I'm not 100% sure. I can ask and see if there's an definitive answer yet.

emperorsfist likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb

5. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    What is your involvement with the game?

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm 3DRealms community moderator.

I'm the tall one on the left, long blonde hair...
    [​IMG]

Netherwind, Kolt and ShadowDuke like this.
  7. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Thanks! Wishing the team luck that the remaster turns out great. I loved Kingpin back when it was first released but I probably shouldn't have been allowed to play it at the time. I think I was 13 at the time :)

Kolt likes this.
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The models have not been changed. The textures.... have not been changed.
    The only things changed are the lighting, shadows, global illumination, ambient occlusion... AA, proper widescreen...

And, nothing in any of those screenshots is final. It's all a work in progress.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There's a possibility of updating the weapon models. But, character models are most likely going to stay the same.

10. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    could never get the game work in the past, nice to know a new up to date version is coming.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The models add a certain charm to the game, don't change that.

If you don't like 90s graphics then don't play such games in this day and age.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If it is decided to update weapon models, it will be with the intent of keeping them as close as possible to the originals. Only "adding" to them a bit.

A few years back, 3DR was working on an remaster of SiN...
    Before...
    [​IMG]
    After...
    [​IMG]

But, sadly that fell through.
    So, now it's all about Kingpin. Right now, it's about updating the lighting, shadows and feel of the game. The core gameplay, polishing combat, enemy/weapon damage. Updating the UI... inventory, map, quest system.

Maybe, after that, depending on fan feedback.... may look into updating textures/models.
    Tried updating textures to HD ones, but... instead of making Kingpin look better. It just looked like a bad modern game.

TheDeeGee, Kolt, Netherwind and 3 others like this.
  13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Darn, I would have loved a SiN remaster... Anyway, could the team make it that the UI doesn't shrink with the resolution (or add a scale slider)? That is one of the problems with older titles in modern higher resolutions.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If it's your full time job it would be cool to read about "a day in life of a community moderator" :)

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    need to update the whole lot, not just a cash grab, too many of those these days.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    First off ,it must be great to be part of a team doing something that will give many people enjoyment in the end ,after the project is finished.Not so fun while doing the work.

Anyway since this is the internet and all,here is the negative part.
    For me , I wonder why I would buy a game that is remastered and not all parts of the game will be updated,such as Models/Textures.

Is the team going after the nostalgic buyer or new customers or is this just a fun project by a bunch of girls/guys.
    I know you may not be able to answer for the team and can only ask questions,with how these things work ,time/money /budget all are the deciding factors.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    exactly, or may as well play the old version with sweetfx or some community mod for free, you want something you cant get elsewhere or haven't had before.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The main focus of this remaster is to polish the core gameplay, not really the visuals.
    Which, the shooting and gameplay design are Kingpin's biggest issues. The notepad is pretty poorly designed, quest notes in the original don't always appear in order.

There's an inventory screen in the original, but it's also really bad.

A big focus of this remaster is to put in a true quest log, a proper inventory screen. To keep track of mission items, weapon mods, ammo and money.
    Also, rebalance weapons and enemy health/damage.
    Right now, the basic pistol is all but useless, put the Magnum mod on it... it's really overpowered.

Visual updates will come after the core gameplay is polished and improved.
    And, really, if you don't want to buy it... nobody is forcing you to. :) It's just an alternative for those that want to experience the game in a more balanced/refined state.

Kolt likes this.
  20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the reply.
    Good luck with the game.