ASUS brings its ROG Bezel-Free kit to market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If memory serves me right then it was CES 2018 when ASUS announced a bezel kit for their monitors to expand towards a better surround-view experience. Basically you can take three displays and transfo...

ASUS brings its ROG Bezel-Free kit to market

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This is actually really cool. Not sure if someone else has done it before.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree. Although I have to admit, I wouldn't bet on the picture not being stretched... probably would get it after seeing it in person, or I'd get it from a merchant that's easy on returns. But generally I think it's pretty neat.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I think the main challenge will be the angle and positioning (and they do give suggested angle in the press release, so that kinda confirms it). If you have it perfectly aligned - it should work well. Concept is simple.

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Maybe I am to old ! But I don't fancy this and never liked the multiple monitor idea !

6. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I use a multi monitor setup (3 x 27" 1440) but the 120 degree angle seems rather steep. It's also the sort of thing I'd like to see first before spending £100, I don't really "see" the bezels anymore anyway.

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Might be great for custom racing simulator setups where some still use triple monitor setups instead of VR setups... so the monitors are *only* used in the rigs for a single purpose.... but I don't think this would look great on a normal desktop for everyday usage, when most of the time, the prisms are not in use and just look stupid.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    for gaming i am not a fun either buuuuuut for general computing work or just having at least 1 extra monitor ... well personally i never planned it but every time i sit on a computer with just 1 monitor .. i feel like someone restrained my hands ! But yeah gaming on 3 monitors is a strong meh from me especially now that there are 31:9 monitors

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Afer watching the video you realise what a really neat product it is but the 130 degree`s limit is a bit steep, expensive for what it is but i`ve no doubt that eventually we will see 3rd party companies picking up on the idea or even custom user equivalents.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I recall seeing this somewhere else before a while back, but it's cool to see that it is now something you can buy. Definitely a great solution for triple-monitor setups. In most cases, your brain would "filter out" the bezels anyway, but this is a much less disrupting solution. Too bad it's so expensive.

I have effectively 4 monitors in my office at work. I say "effectively" because only 2 of them extend my desktop. One of them is devoted to a VM and another is basically a discrete SSH client, but, they all can have a shared clipboard (at least to some degree).
    However, regardless of how many monitors I have, I feel so restrained when I only have 1 workspace/desktop. Makes managing tasks feel so cluttered and tedious.

For my gaming PC, I only have 1 display and intend to keep it that way.

Venix likes this.

11. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    In work related stuff , at office sometimes I use 2 monitors , One with Autocad and one with Excel or what I need on the fly !

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Expensive? What is it $100?? That's not expensive for the intended application.. I have seen videos of guys running triple monitor setups using $10,000 wheel & pedal setups on $5000 racing seats on $50,000 4DOF motion rigs. Do you think $100 to remove the two bezels from that setup is expensive to them, compared to what it adds to the system??!

13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Yes, thats exactly what they meant, $100 is expensive. There are people with billions of dollars, lots of things probably arent that expensive to them, however as a niche device with a simple application, yes that price is absurd to anyone with common sense

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Buying 3 screens is cool, but spending another 100$ on that stuff when setting up your surround stuff with a kick ass gaming PC behind it (since I doubt you'd buy that thing for pro work) is a dealbreaker? Mkay, I guess I'd not see it as the big problem there with spending 3x150+ on the screens already, plus way way more on the rest of the PC.

geogan likes this.
  15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It may be a niche application and a bit spendy but i like that it exists at all. Not that I need one.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Expensive is a rather relative term. For most of us, the $110 price tag for this is expensive. Obviously, for someone who can afford a $65,000 setup to play racing sims, that would be incredibly cheap.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @schmidtbag even on gaming pc having a second monitor is very nice to have! Just managing what ever googling guides / discord and music you want to have! The great thing about it is that the cheapest 22-24 inch you can find can do the trick like a charm!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    That is very cool, if I was going to go triple monitor I'd make sure it worked with this.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I use my laptop for that. Much less hassle.

In general, I prefer many weak PCs over one big powerful PC. Makes life a lot easier, and hardware more affordable.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's basically just a piece of plastic that polarizes light. It isn't worth $100. Cost relative to other parts doesn't change that fact.

As for rigs like that triple-monitor racing rig... sorry but I find that to be a waste of money. I think such a rig is very much worth spending money on if that's your kind of thing, but not that kind of money. You could buy an legit fast car for real with that kind of money.

Fox2232 likes this.