purring/grinding sound coming from brand new Asus 1660 Ti OC Strix,what can I do?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by frozensun, Jan 22, 2020.

1. frozensun

frozensun Guest

GPU:
    1660 Ti OC
    Hey guys.
    Bought the new card,used for few days and it started to make a purring sound.
    Firstly I contacted Asus so pissed off at them, and was told it's a coil whine,and I knew it wasn't because coil whine sound is different,then I put my ear near the card and thought like this:
    Let me try to load GPU in Ungine Heaven and set somehow that fans don't spin at least for a minute until I see if it's coil whine or fan failure.
    I set custom fan curve.
    Well the card worked like for 2 minutes,reached 62 C and fans started to spin,firstly middle fan and that was it,immediatly I could hear purring sound,then left fan started to spin,and maybe even left one is faulty.Then I turned off the PC put the finger on the axis of those fan and both of them can be pushed a bit inwards/upwards and I don't know if that is okay or not because the right end fan can not be pushed upwards,it's tight.
    So fans seem loose,specially middle one.
    So what can I do,one thing which comes to my mind is somehow if there is a way to limit the FAN speed,if it's possible?
    I don't think I can RMA card because of the weird sound coming out of it,because card works okay but this sound is making me so anxious and nervous.

2. Sounds like fan bearing to me. Quite certain you can RMA for that, or just get them to send you replacement fan(s).

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    make sure its the card, disconnect it and use your discrete gpu for a bit and yeah contact them for an RMA, they should be good with it since its just a fan issue.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Send it back

5. TiePhiter

TiePhiter Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 LC
    He is using a discrete GPU. A discrete GPU is an add in card.

You've got them mixed up in your head. Hehe.

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    :eek:ah thanks for correcting me.