CPU: Intel likely to invoke price reductions in 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I really want a Ryzen Thinkpad. Saving money as we speak.

Evildead666 likes this.
  2. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Competition is a wonderful thing. Hopefully we get a real competition going and it leads to both AMD and Intel dropping their prices

Mesab67 likes this.
  3. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I think this is very important and not enough people look at things this way. I get the feeling that many (if not most) buy a CPU solely on the basis of the FPS in a few games, mostly those they play, and the margin of difference is going to be just a few frames per second at most resolutions. That makes very little sense to me. Mostly because I never play anything at lower resolution except for on my laptop. For the most part, if you use higher than HD resolution there will be no discernible difference in FPS between CPUs on the same video card so what's the point?

I like competition so I will buy from whom ever is the "underdog" in the battle. Buying from the leader does not encourage competition. The exception to this is video cards. Since I do a fair amount of CUDA programming I will be getting a card from Nvidia. I definitely would not if I had a viable alternative but for programming in CUDA the only options I have are differing prices.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Even with gaming at higher than 1080p, you can still see improvements that are noticeable.
    switched from 3770K and 32gb@2133 to R5 3600 with 16gb@3600, both with 1080@2ghz,
    and my min frames in siege went from 30-40 fps to +60.
    even when limiting cpu to 2.2ghz on all cores, win still feels snappier than it was on the i7.

EspHack likes this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good for you, but isn't it weird to compare decade old Intel tech with latest AMD tech?

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... I'd be building a new rig sooner but I decided I'll wait out for Ryzen 3K. Even though it's a pita to not be able to upgrade until probably 2021 (availability of AMD CPUs.........), it's more the itch than thinking I need a new one because of horrible performance.

With my post I tried to say, I won't buy Intel's current lineup for the price they have. Even 200$ off (~300€) I'd not be sold on a 9900K.

Maddness and cryohellinc like this.
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    my response was for ppl stating that cpu upgrades for fps sake dont make sense.
    in my case it allowed the gpu perform much better, i dont have frame drops anymore,
    and no probs running siege at 1440p with avg of 75 (steady,vsync) when before 60 wasnt even possible on avg.
    not even mentioning what crap intel offers me at 200$

8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    till we see numbers, all is just as good as our personal guesses, which is likely not the fact/true
    so if u feel what ur opinion is the fact, show number and we can all agree with that (u saying it urself)
    other than that else as good as bs

back to topic, well everything is better this way, good-company-rivals = better for consumer
    now AMD need to hit nvidia too, sooner is better

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Holding on my 2500K here. Some games with many mobs punish CPU a lot, still getting playable frames. Wish I got 2600k.... those 8 threads makes life easier.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    I went in 2018 from 3570K to 3770K just for CPU bound games like AC:Origins because it was such a stuttering fest. I felt some improvement, but still the CPU was mostly pegged at 90 to 100%. Then I crossed the red river and got the Ryzen 2700. The difference became night and day, since there were so many threads available and everything felt so much more responsive.
    The idea is that the old quad cores are just not worth keeping anymore. Better switch to 6-8 cores either from AMD or Intel. Gaming sucks on 4 cores.

Undying and sverek like this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I had 2500k 4.7hgz and i thought the same, shame i didnt get 2600k. Back then no one thought they will need more than 8threads but sold it and went with 12threads 3930k, best choise i ever made, it felt smoother even on stock than my burning 2500k.

12. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    If their sales numbers were truly good, they wouldn't be cutting prices. That's just basic economics. By limiting stock you can keep prices high, because you are only selling to the segment of market willing to pay those high prices. But this causes revenue and sales to tank. Intel is riding on brand recognition right now but that never lasts forever and people will buy the superior product eventually. Just like Nintendo in the late 90s/early 00s, who also did the limit stock and talk about how you are "sold out everywhere!" game.

fry178 likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Intel is doing well right now, but they will lose market share in the future. A price adjustment is necessary to keep their consumer products somewhat competitive with AMD, just like with the X-series. There's a reason why Swan is expanding the business into the wider silicon market - they know that their dominance in the CPU market will soon be coming to an end.

14. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I will believe it, when I see it! Currently Cascade-X prices are being gouged due to the Intel shortage. Even so, the price structure for current CPU's is too high to justify buying Intel. Intel 16 core is still around $899, while AMD's is $749. Intel's 12 Core is $699 while AMD is $499. Time for Intel to "Put up, or shut up" Waiting six months and Ryzen 4000 series will just about be ready to release...

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yeah its very minimal for avg fps improvements, but overall stability is way better, check frametimes and 1% lows

fry178 likes this.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sure they could come up with a core0.5duo this time around, silicon keeps getting exponentially harder to improve, so at this rate AMD will do the same in response, they seem equally capable now

17. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Can barely keep up with production... of server and mobile chips. The reason that desktop chips are in short supply is because almost all of their fab capacity is full of gigantic server die wafers and mobile CPUs, where they actually make their money. If you want to see real shortages, look no further than the 3 month wait time to get a server delivered that we were seeing last year.

They don't really care much about the desktop market, and haven't for a few years. Between being lower priority and the larger die size they have needed in order to compete with AMD (meaning fewer chips per wafer), they are just not willing to put out more desktop chips, thus creating a shortage there. That's why they are shipping "F" SKUs made up of chips that would have been binned into salvage before this shortage - they won't give up more wafer production to fill desktop orders, so they resorted to selling literal trash instead to try and get product out.

If we see any price drops on the desktop side, it will be because they are shifting mobile to 10nm and freeing up some production. Even with that, they won't prioritize desktop until after their server backlog is filled. I would not expect to see a lot of price reductions on the desktop end of things as a result.

This is where AMD's tech absolutely shines - they make ONE chiplet design at 7NM, and it fills ALL of their needs. They don't need to re-tool an assembly line to swap between server, HEDT, and desktop chips like Intel does.

Undying and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Debating if i should buy a video card upgrade for my Intel I7 7700 next month for birthday, ((current video card Geforce 1050 2gb)) EVGA 1660 Super, or if i should skip that and wait and see what happens in 2021 and do a whole system upgrade to maybe AMD Ryzen based

Bought this Intel System in September 2017 after purchasing a year before a Cheap Refurbed Asus M32CD AMD FX 8310 system, and it still lagged me alot in games, could've been the video card that was in that one, not sure, R7 240, came across more money in August 2017, i was like ok buying faster system, Friend suggested i go back to Intel then, so i was like ok, and bought this Asus G11CD

Someday maybe will go back to AMD based, but not sure when though

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Depends your games and what the card delivers right now.
    I sold my 1080 and used a backup gtx570 was able to run siege, but not at 1440p since it only has 1gb vram.
    As long as you dont have problems getting steady fps at native res, upgrade cpu/board and be ready for e bigger gpu when the time comes.
    And even if you get x570 and 3xxx cpu, you wull have at least one upgrade option without board swap.

20. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Yeah right now games are Need For Speed Payback, GTA V, Battlefield 4, American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck SImulator 2, decent framerate yes right now, resolution 1080P, 1920x1080 on my newer Monitor, Asus VG245H, So guess if comes down to it, could hold off on video card upgrade, and continue saving money for x570 based system if i choose to.