Asus Strix Rx5700xt Temperature

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BigBlackCork, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BigBlackCork

BigBlackCork Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Rx 5700X
    While I'm playing rdr2, the gpu temperature will increase a lot after 10 minutes of gaming.

I do not know how to upload images to the forum, so I put down a link for screenshots of my temperatures.
    https://imgur.com/a/rpmlV2C

Is this too high? Should I replace thermal pads for the video card?

Also, could anyone please tell me what MSI Afterburner's GPU Temperature 2 and the VRM 1, 2, 3 temperatures mean? I tried to find out, but I couldn't really find a clear answer.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There are so many better and cheaper 5700xt's and you had to buy an overpriced strix one that defective. Do a research before you buy.

Turanis likes this.
  3. BigBlackCork

BigBlackCork Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Rx 5700X
    Yeah, I know I should have done that... I bought the card abroad, so I cannot get a refund, and I did add the washers to the card, so I thought I would be fine afterwards...

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Card is within acceptable parameters though the fans will have a bit of work so they might run a bit loud, fully loaded up stock voltages and performance targets plus for Strix and Nitro and a few others the higher power draw target does result in a junction temperature around upwards of 85 - 100 degrees Celsius with the card rated at 110 which is where it starts throttling though many bios defaults on the non-reference boards are typically lowered to around 104 to 108 degrees.
    (And modern Adrenaline 2020 drivers have a max range of 100 Celsius for Navi here.)

Personally I'd probably see how it performs with Wattman boost temperature at 1900 to 1950 and voltage around 1100 to begin with to see how that affects temperature.

You can see in your screenshots for the 10 minute one that the card is boosting to 1830 hitting the power target of 220w but temps hold it back from scaling up further so lowering the max to 1900 instead of 2000 - 2050 gives some headroom for undervolting and if things work out the idea is a lessened junction temperature, lowered voltage, reduced fan speed and actually hitting closer to 1900 Mhz instead of 1800 in effect boosting performance. :)

AMD's defaults target 1.2v with the stock design going for 180w often capping around 1900 - 1950 boost until the power limit slider is increased as the card needs a bit over 200w to effectively boost upwards to 2 Ghz anyway so with a few adjustments it's possible to greatly lower junction temperature which allows the card to boost to a different threshold which would be the power draw which the Strix increases all the way up to 220w but then the cooler isn't the most fitting so temps hold it back a bit which when lowered is how performance can actually increase.

Though Adrenaline 2020 also has a possible Wattman glitch where the cards draw the bios defined defaults and ignore the software settings so if it's still performing around the same you would have to lower the power draw slider into the negatives instead but chances are the other bug here causes the GPU clocks to fall much more than they should even with -10% or something small like that hitting around 1650 - 1700 Mhz which well Strix -20w would be 200w so plenty anyway thus software bug. :D
    (I'm on the Pulse model which uses the stock 180w on the silent bios profile which if needed can be increased or the standard profile which targets 194w though in effect they're about the same with one being a bit more silent due to fan settings but performance is identical without tweaking via Wattman or similar effectively min/maxing the various thresholds and parameters for how the card boosts and where it caps.)

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Alternatively the card is within it's designed parameters even if it's not performing quite as well as it could as can be seen from the core clock value hovering around 1800 - 1850 Mhz so it's not any major issue but it's either going to need some software value adjustments and hopefully the drivers respect that but there could be some bugs in the newest drivers or even the older ones that might hinder things a bit. (I find D3D12 and Vulkan to be much more agreeable than D3D9 to D3D11 for these and how the card works after doing a bit of testing.)

Bit on the high side pushing over 100 Celsius junction but below AMD's limits for where the GPU starts to really throttle though third party GPU models will have slightly different parameters but it's not going to damage anything to cause problems beyond just not boosting quite as much for what it could reach although Navi cards are very sensitive anyway so expect to see fluctuating core clock speeds regardless often -50 to -100 from the target boost clocks even with nothing holding it back.
    (Or sometimes even exceeding them briefly which can be a problem with stability but it can also work fine though it's something to keep in mind.)

EDIT: Yeah 2050 Mhz so about on target then for the first image and then it starts throttling, with some tuning hitting 1950 - 2000 Mhz reliably could be achievable depending on temps, power draw certainly won't be a limit with the high default setting here for that. :)
    (A drop of 50 - 100 Mhz instead of over 200 Mhz.)

6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah,Asus & Gigabyte on Amd side (Gpu & Cpu) sucks hard.Better be MSI or Asrock or Sapphire.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Not really,they gone like Asus.Be not compared with better cards from MSI or Sapphire. ;)

9. Daddio

Daddio Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGTX1080 G1
    I have asus rog strix 5700 xt card bought it before Christmas. turns out they screwed up the heatsync on this top shelf card too. There really isnt much info on it unless you dig. there isnt anything on asus site. I was gigabyte man befor i went asus to step up !
    HA!
    Ive contacted them and requested the replsacement kit to re set the heat sync. They hant gotten back to me yet !!!
    No More TOP SHELF GARBAGE FROM THIS PHONY BALLONEY POWERHOUSE!>

10. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Sapphire, Powercolor and xfx are the way to go on AMD