DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Dat texture detail! I'll say it again, John Carmack's vision for megatexture technology has finally become manifest. The artists are completely unrestrained and can make beautiful, unique and highly detailed textures without having to worry about storage and VRAM limitations due to much better compression, faster hardware and predictive algorithms which stream data in an intelligent manner based on where the player is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KissSh0t and warlord like this.
  2. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    emperorsfist and KissSh0t like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ok Doomguy

emperorsfist and Shataan like this.
  4. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Heres the original Doomguy :D
    [​IMG]

AsiJu likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The first game needed 8gb vram at nightmare texture setting i doubt eternal will be using less with such increase in detail.

warlord likes this.
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Yeap, now 10 up to 16 gb should be the new standard mid to high range and 16+gb enthusiast class. Lower to mid range is 6-8gb and 1-4gb for office and OEM.

Technology advances. Doom is running like a dream with 8gb vram, I am not willing to lose this fluidity due to vram, surely it deserves an upgrade IF needed! :cool:

Undying likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thing is that was running high framerate, even 100fps+ on my 580 nightmare setting but only becouse i had 8gb vram. If i had 4gb it would be a stuttery mess.

warlord likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    In OpenGL perhaps and when the game launched it may have required 8GB of VRAM, but after the Vulkan update and several patches that introduced and improved predictive algorithms, the VRAM requirements were reduced.

The predictive algorithms in particular were a game changer, which also practically erased the pop in effect the game had when it first launched. I played Doom about 3 times and I definitely remember the pop in being noticeable when the game first launched on OpenGL (though nowhere near as bad as Rage), compared to after the Vulkan update and the subsequent improvements.

Though that's not to say I think you will be able to get maximum texture quality on a GPU with 4GB of VRAM on Doom Eternal. All I'm saying is that the texture quality is less reliant on VRAM due to the engine upgrades which can better predict what textures will be needed at any given time.

Wolfenstein 2 is a good example of the engine improvements that Id made to the engine compared to Doom 2016. Wolfenstein 2 has a lot more geometry on display and the texture quality was better than Doom, yet it used less VRAM and RAM.

Undying likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I know you are just being silly but for the sake of also being silly he is still one and the same and will still rip and tear and always need a bigger gun.

[​IMG]

@Duke Nil your image did not work, try an image hosting site like Imgur for example...

10. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Ah weird it's showing fine for me in firefox and chrome (even logged out) but not IE, I tried imgur and same thing :/

Anyway it's this, I was just showing the setting for disabling the glory kill UI stuff: https://imgur.com/Ufkzong

AsiJu likes this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's working now :>

Imgur for the win.

Duke Nil likes this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You cannot enable Nightmare settings in Doom 2016 unless you have atleast 5gb of vram.

13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, I feel silly now...

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

Carfax and Shataan like this.
  15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    I dont like that at all, that you need to make different glory kills to get more ammo, armor or health. Thats a huge letdown for a Doom game for me and was already in 2016. Now that its essential to survival its even more of a letdown. But then again like i already stated earlier, Bethesda issnt gonna get money from me anymore.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  17. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    woooooooooooooooooooo im so fn ready for this game!!!!!!!!!

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio

Carfax likes this.
  19. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Love the visuals. But the gameplay doesn`t interest me at all now. If Eternal has a multiplayer mode, I might try it for some Q3 Arena style fun. Just not interested in this kinda thing anymore. Really liked DOOM IIIs campaign and storyline. I`m sure Eternals going to be really big with your basic DOOMwad fans though. Not to mention it might be a hella Tech Demo. hehhhe

20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I know what u mean, i still get it, but i cant explain it either something is off.