Windows 8.1 amd driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SentinelAeon, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

First of all, only today i learned that AMD dropped support for windows 8.1 in 2017, since there is only about 7% of users using this OS. This itself is kind of crazy because if u use classic shell for windows 7 look start menu, it is an awesome OS. I migrated from windows 7 to windows 8.1 because i thought this way i will have support a little longer. And i moved back from windows 10 because i simply cannot get used to it updating sometimes even when i say do not update, and it basicly taking more and more control from me. I do not like windows 10. And knowing that if i stayed on windows 7 i would have amd driver support, well that stings even more.

Anyway back to my problem. I have 3 gpus: r9 280x, r9 390 and rx 570. rx 570 as it turns out, i cannot even install on windows 8.1. The first two gpus i can, but when i try to run call of duty ww2, it says i have to upgrade the driver cause its not supported. And obviously i am using the last driver from amds page from 2017.

I remember many years ago there was a bunch of unofficial drivers, that added support for more gpus and more operating systems. So my question is this:

- Is there any unofficial driver for rx 570 and if not, at least for r9 280x or r9 390, a driver that will allow me to play newer games like call of duty ww2, etc.

If possible i would avoid experimenting with windows 7 or windows 10 drivers, i would hate to play 90% of the game just to find out that the wrong driver causes a crash at that level that i cannot fix so i cant finish the game. It would be great if the thing was at least a little bit tested, so i know that it will at least probably work, without amd control panel crashing, etc.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  3. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Thank you for your reply, but this driver is sadly for laptop not desktop pc and last update was in 2016, while my current driver is from 2017 :/

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    unpack the driver and look for nt6.2 and 6.3 install sections in the inf, if they exist the driver can be used on 8 and 8.1 still.

5. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    But how will that help me ? I will be going to older driver from 2016, while i need newer driver

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    You should be able to just install the official Win7 driver and it'll have the same functionality as if on Win7. If the installer refuses, it should still work if you do it via the Device manager.

But the latest CoD uses DX12 even on Win7, and Win8 never got that support

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Ok so that way i will solve nothing :/ I guess its time to make a thread about windows 10 and how to stop it from being such an annoying OS. Lots of patching and cracking and modding awaits me it seems.

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    First of all, why 8.1? its crap and useless.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Quite the contrary. But hey, everyone has the right to have an opinion.

mirh and olymind1 like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you get 95% of all the improvements windows 10 brings, without the crap.
    downside is no dx12, but vk can do that eventually....

LocoDiceGR and anticupidon like this.

11. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    The only reason as far as i am concerned that windows 8.1 can be crap is that hideous welcome screen. But once u install classic shell (2 minutes), u get windows 7 look and feel, with many improvements. I really hoped that moving to windows 8.1 it will buy me some extra time and now windows 7 is supported and 8.1 isnt, which pisses the holy crap out of me. Also i stick to windows 8.1 because i periodicaly play older games, like once a year (age of empires 1, age of mythology, impossible creatures, supreme commander 1 and 2) and well i know they work in windows 8.1, i dont know if they still work in windows 10. Anyway now i will have to find a way to tell windows 10 to stop being a complete trash of a OS with bugging me and doin things i dont want him to do. First thing is to completely disable auto update and i mean completely. In pro version u can disable it but once in a while OS decides i need that special update and goes through with it. I will simply not have this.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There is another route. Create your custom W10 ISO with anything you don't want disabled, and customise it as you see fit.

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  14. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I've been using the AMD Windows 7 x64 drivers on my two AMD-based Windows 8.1 systems, as has my brother on one of his. (In my case, a R9 380X and a RX 470.) Neither of us has experienced any difficulties, but, of course, I can't guarantee that this will hold true for everyone. (When we desire a newer driver, we're uninstalling by using DDU.)

I share your appreciation of Windows 8.1. Once I replaced the abomination of the full-screen Start Menu with, in my two cases, Start 8, and "reformed" the metro/modern apps into something actually functional with Modern Mix, both from Stardock, I was feeling pretty good about things. I was aware of Classic/Open Shell, but I still think the $10 purchase from Stardock was money well-spent. Then, the Radeon Technologies Group decided to nuke driver support. All we need now is for RTG to drop the Windows 7 driver updates now that it's gone end-of-life. It's good to have a bit of drama in our lives.

I see two possible work-arounds for you. You can consider replacing your graphics card with one from Nvidia, who still release drivers for Windows 8.1 x64. (They axed the Win 8.1 x86 program back in 2018, I think.) This, of course, won't net you any DX12 support.

And, it *may* be possible to set-up some manner of dual-boot arrangement, adding Windows 10 to your current system without foregoing Windows 8.1. It's been years since I set up a dual-boot jammie, so, I can't offer any meaningful help with that. (Assuming it's even a viable possibility.) I certainly would mirror my existing boot-drive to a spare before treading very lightly down that path.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Lets help a fellow guru,shall we? :)
    And NO,Windows 7 & 8.1 are not crap vs always patched bugfest Windows 10. ;)

So,again:

From an older post:

Extract these new 20.1.2 drivers,for Windows 7 x64, somewhere into a new folder with 7zip,then Install drivers(from e.g. ...win7-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-19.12.2-dec12\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF)
    manually from Device manager and after that install the ccc2-install.exe from "C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install".
    Now you have the new driver with the new Radeon Software installed.

Or install 19.21.1 or an previous good WHQL driver.Not always the newest driver is the best.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is only one bug i know of that is unfixed in win8 and that is that one of the WinSxS components will randomly flip some bytes at the end of the file after running Diskcleanup / Update cleanup and defragging.

This shuffles WinSxS files around on the FS and allows a bug in the Defrag API to corrupt this particular file as it opens some createfile threads incorrectly

The file in question is CNBJ2530.DPB and its a Payload file, microsoft has been aware of the issue since 2014 and not been able to find a solution.

I dug into it in this post,
    https://www.sysnative.com/forums/th...and-prncacla-inf-corruptions.7702/post-258162

I workaround it by using DISM++ to scan after each update cleanup+defrag and then use a tool provided elsewhere to replace the now damaged file (since DISM online no longer works for 8.x)

If using a SSD this should happen quite rarely as the OS will only occasionally optimise the contiguity of files (SSD's do need some defragging occasionally to prevent hitting a NTFS map limit)

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  17. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    No. There is like almost no reason to use any other windows than 10 ( ecxept XP for very old programs )

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I'll respect your opinion just from the benefit of doubt and politeness. Pray, did you read all the opinions above? Those gurus know their stuff, and as you, everyone is entitled to own opinion and choosing.

How about that?

Again, try to understand that we are here to learn and share information in a academic, relaxed way. That information could be (and it is wanted to be) different. That is the fundament of learning. As learning different OSes for different purposes.
    Cheers!

19. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Thank you for your inputs.

What i decided right now is to just play the games that support my driver. I always play games when they are a few years old - this way i get a patched game and also i can use cheaper hardware to run it as opposed to buy brand new gpu for a brand new game.

Right now i will put aside any game that doesn't support my current build. Then when i feel the time is right, i will trade 1 of my GPUS for nvidia gpu of similar performance and just play all those games. I am 1 of those ppl that really don't care much about graphics. I still play original age of empires and to me graphic is awesome. Why companies do graphic overhaul of old games instead of adding new awesome campaign to it is beyond me.

And when finaly the time comes when even nvidia drops support, i will move to windows 10, that is when i figure out a way to stop it to auto update, because i will simply not have this, if necesary i will cut the ethernet cable to prevent it from updating but i will simply not have it. I will update when and if i decide it is time to update. Other things dont bother me, as soon as i install classic shell that i am used to.

I will have to think about my builds in the future. For instance, i want to play age of mythology, but i found out that it is broken under windows 8.1 and only works well in windows xp. I tried many many times, carefuly observing and have yet to find the reason, but if i play on windows 8.1, on certain missions there will be less spawned enemies, they will attack less frequently etc. And since difficulty is the reason i play, its a game breaker. I really thought that i would get away with having 2 machines - windows xp for older games and windows 8.1 for newer. Now it seems like i will need 3 machines, windows xp, windows 7/8.1 and windows 10 (or whatever comes next). I guess i could get away with 2 physical machines, 1 for windows xp and 1 dual boot windows 7/8.1 and newer OS.

The problems we face ..

20. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Win 7 driver can be installed on Win 8.1 and it's a wddm 1.3 driver.

But with Win 7 EOL probably they will stop releasing drivers for Win 7.

One of the reasons I moved to NVIDIA is cause they still offer drivers from Win 8.1 and they look to just work, while with AMD + Win 8.1 things haven't been that good for me (and based on what I read on this forum it looks like even with some particular gpus and win 10 things are not that good...).

Depends on your use you might take a Linux distro into consideration or not.
    If you just watch some movies and browse internet a Linux distro will happy be enough. If you do only what you can do on your smartphone then well a Linux distro will be just fine for you. (I know it will sound shocking but most pc users can happy use a Linux distro just fine because they don't really need Windows. (The lack of an av in a linux distro will for sure make the os snappier, tehnically speaking you can install an av in linux but in most cases it will do nothing and in extremely rare cases it will block some scripts when you visit some shady site.))
    If you play games you probably gonna need Windows, same if you use specific Windows software.
    You can always dual boot :p, but it's not very practical...

Someone that want to plan a migration from Windows to Linux well can start to use only software that can is built for Windows and also for Linux. That will make the migration easier because well he/she will basicaly use the software that he/she already is used with.

In term of how easy of use I find a start menu, I like lxde one for example.

L.E.:

Are you sure that next Windows version is not gonna happy install the stuff that you removed from the initial install? (because Microsoft knows better than you what you don't need/never use).
    Or next Windows version update is just gonna break when you try to install it?
    Those are good questions because if they release 2 version / year you have like 6 months of peace or 2 years of support.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020