AMD Announces Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors: 4800U and 4800H

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Viliu Olariu

Viliu Olariu Member

GPU:
    rtx2080ti ventus gp
    I have never been a fan of laptops, i barely use them from time to time , i have one at work that i barely touch.... now i want one

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok how does smart shift actually work? I understand that you get a performance boost but it's not clear how you use the dGPU?

4. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    15W is not good TDP, is too much for small fanless machine and not enough for workstation where are 35W/45W mosters and fan. Make it 5W, 8W and it would be fine. For something better there are still Intel + Nvidia combos.. a bit doubt how AMD + Nvidia combo will work, there is lot and infamous history of Nvidia Optimus switching and AMD would need something similar.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You want a laggy slow system? Go for it. We are talking about performance package. Intel+Nvidia is no match for ryzen babes as one package. Never were. I prefer great 15 watts instead of 5 snails.

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Get one of those ryzen apu's in a 2-in-1 thin form factor laptop that flips to a touchscreen style device and just take over the market at this rate. Will upgrade my laptop to one of those for certain.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Nvidia doesn't make x86-64 CPUs itself, so why would it matter if it's Intel or AMD CPU inside? Nvidia's enemy is a laptop with an AMD GPU, not a laptop with an AMD CPU. Cheap laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, no matter if the CPU (with an iGPU) is from Intel or AMD. In more distant future Nvidia's enemy could be, naturally, iGPUs getting so powerful there's no need for a dedicated GPU. But that threat, again, comes from both AMD and Intel, now that Intel is seemingly more interested in GPUs as well. However, that day is not today.

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    In a laptop you are primarily power/heat constrained, so presumably what it does is use heat/power headroom that eg. the CPU currently doesn't use to OC the GPU (and with OC that probably just means running at higher boost clocks), and vice-versa.
    This works in a laptop because everything is so tightly integrated, and most of the time all components share one heatsink, so they also share thermals.

In an actual desktop PC, cooling and power delivery of dGPU and CPU are so far away from each other, this tech wouldn't work.

It sounds like a fancy way to call thermal-based performance scaling that other vendors also already employ.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A 4600/4500 on a 14 laptop would be something interesting for me. Even the 4300 looks interesting. Good to see AMD take the fight into the mobile market.

anticupidon likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's see what Thinkpads will emerge from this. Keen to upgrade my old Thinkpads

11. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    It'll probably be worse than Intel in both idle and non-idle battery times, but at least now it'll be up there in performance!
    Hopefully the next version attacks the power part, especially the idle power usage part.

12. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    i'll get the bunting out :rolleyes:

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah - the performance looks good but until I see actually battery benchmarks it pretty much means nothing. The Ryzen based Surface is god awful despite technically being the TDP being the same. When TDP can literally mean anything it's hard to gauge how good these are with just those numbers.

14. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Probably most exciting announcement at CES IMO. Intel has had almost no competition in the laptop market but this will mean AMD will take the performance crown. Ice Lake was disappointing and Intel can't really answer this at all.

15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    With 5-8 W TDP, you can produce fanless device, with 15W TDP you produce small but noisy device, which is still not good enough.. BTW GPD tried to make their new GPD Win 2 Max with AMD APUs, but there was so many problems with this unmatured platform that they after half a year switched back to expensive intel now finally with Intel Iris GPU which is only quite good for years.