Rumor: First NVIDIA “Ampere” GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 specs surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Astyanax, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, exactly, good question...I imagine the new architecture itself won't bring massive improvements in performance in IPC, so I would think the number of cores and frequencies of those cores are gonna be a pretty close way of comparing the performance.
    Also yeah, exactly!
    Rollocks! :)

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My guess is the 3080 will be roughly the same performance as a 2080Ti, on non-ray tracing scenarios and significantly better in actual ray tracing supporting games. I just hope it won't be the same price though, lol.

What interests me more however, is whether a 3080Ti will launch along 3070/3080 (or very soon after), or will they go back to the 1070/1080 launch followed by 6-12 months gap 1080Ti launch scenario.

Maddness likes this.
  3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Titan Xp is faster everywhere than rtx 2080 except the first is incapable of ray tracing...

Question is, will rtx 3080 be faster than titan rtx? And by what percentage? That could answer the question if rtx 3080 will be a 749€ or 1049€ gpu!

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Haaa! :p

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If there's alternatives that offers similar visuals without the huge impact on hardware is what will matter in the end. I don't care how many calculations Quake 2 is performing, nobody is rushing to buy RTX cards to play a 20 year old game.

6. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Rofl, needless to remind you that "mid" navi, which is 5700XT barely matches the third fastest nvidia card is 7nm too, and turing is 14nm, how exactly do you think big navi is able to battle mid-high Ampere? This isn't intel we're talking about here...

7. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    3070 -> 1000€
    3080 -> 1500€

:D

warlord likes this.
  8. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    It's far cheaper, while still providing a great experience.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i'm always amused at this stage of development by the breathlessness of fanboys.
    but, no-one doubts that Nvidia has the tools to leverage a smaller process to its own best benefit. which process exactly Nvidia would be using is of great interest and would enable better guessing of the true nature of their performance.
    after getting beat out re: fab availability at lowest node for RTX, it would be interesting to see if Nvidia is going to risk potential yield problems with the 7nm+, or whether going the less expensive 7nm (despite final retail prices) with proven yields will be the deciding factor.
    i have no idea, so i'll be watching with a crap-ton of interest.

10. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    How do you know it's FAR cheaper? 5700XT isn't that much cheaper of a 2070 Super, ~80€ in my country (comparable AIB), and the 2070s is faster, not by much, but still faster, temps are averagely slightly lower and you don't get the tons of problems with drivers and bioses. Great experience i wouldn't say, i had to make a friend send back his Sapphire pulse 5700XT for problems he was having with its fans and general instability crashing games and whatnot. Surely a great experience.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I foresee $1250 pricetag for 3070.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    3080/2=1540€ seems a legit price tag for 3080ti

13. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Regarding prices, I'd bet a dollar that we'd be quite fortunate to see them remain about where they are for a given class of card.

I mean, if one takes this rumor, (repeat: rumor), as being accurate, the fact that it's simply a bit more costly to produce a 320-bit PCB, than the current 256-bit one used for everything from the 2060S to the 2080S, and a 384-bit PCB to use in place of the 352-bit one employed by the 2080Ti, would dictate an increase in manufacturing costs. Yes, these, and wider bus-width PCBs have been produced in the past, and, no, it's no longer rocket-science, but surely it's an additional expense. I hope I'm proven wrong.

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    meh I should stop reading this stuff I have no intrested in replaceing my 1070ti atm, I still beating my self up for paying for the step up for it from the 1060gtx and considering how pricing is now?

I will probably get ps5 first, before i think about a new gpu, which most likely wont be this year or next year.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't think performance was in itself an issue. The price to performance ratio was the main issue.

The 1070 launched at 380$ in 2016. The RTX 2070 launched at 500$ in 2019. That's a ~30% increase in price. The performance difference between the two cards was pretty much that 30% on average. I think 30% increase in performance is perfectly fine as long as the price is not increase by the same margin. The super series is really what RTX should have been at launch.

Maddness likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think its gonna be a shocker price wise. If people tought turing was expensive get ready. Nvidia gonna distance itself from amd and intel acting almighty and charge premium once again.

Oh, its so gonna bite them in the ass one day.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It already did.
    If they have sense the prices will drop quite a bit.

Maddness and alanm like this.
  19. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    Hopefully, everything would return to the time of Maxwell, 960, 970, 980-TI around $ 250-600, would be competitively more aggressive and an option to take into account to attract new users against a PS5 and XBOX X Series of Between $ 400-500, 7nm and miniaturization already exist, which means that prices should be cheaper and not sell us the story of all the new generations.
    During the first two years the consoles are going to snack on these graphics cards and they will only notice in these the extra if it fits a bit of better processed because as for Frames per Second they will be very even, (case of Red Dead Redemption 2) and pay $ 1200 with a complete team without counting the graphics card for the same product, it is not cool.
    The maximum exponent of this will be Cyberpunk 2077, intergenerational, in the current ones without RTX in the new ones with RTX, they are going to put it through our eyes and it seems to me a nonsense once again in the change of new generation.

mohiuddin likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The only reason why these would be cheaper is that the transistor count is probably less given the total number of cores.

The cost per transistor from 16nm onwards has been increasing, where as up to 28nm it was decreasing.

So basically any chip that has more transistors than last years from here on out will always cost more to produce, regardless to the feature size.

HandR likes this.