Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    really? very interesting I wonder why?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because its a platform clock and the pch is a platform hub

:D

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    tru , i wonder if ryzen chips have it onboard, since the server "eypc" chips dont need a pch at all.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres a strong possibility of that, the ryzen io die is a reconfigured x570

5. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Regarding the pre-set "Adaptive" power plan on some Windows .exe: I think they simply forgot to change it, as those were set in the profiles already, before optimal had been released.

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    No, as I suspected, it keeps using HPET. (Yes, I rebooted after disabling the device because I applied the boot parameter changes at the same time.)

[​IMG]

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah, thats with hpet enabled in bios but disabled in os (i misread)

yeah, as i thought, the device manager device doesn't do anything.

So all the posts online about it doing so are purely placebo.

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    What if you went full stupid by actually following the "advice" of experts that don't know anything and you started to change the settings of HPET via CMD, just like I did? Lol. How would you set that to "default" to just let Windows do its thing when it comes to all of these "tweaks" that honestly have not helped me one bit.

Is there a cmd command prompt to just revert all of these settings back to default or as if Windows had them the moment you reinstall it?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Smough likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Sorry for spamming again, so I used "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock", rebooted, then I used bcdedit /enum to check what has been changed and if anything needs to be reverted back to stock and useplatformclock does not appear anymore in there, it did appear when I tried to force it ON or OFF. With my Windows version, HPET is not enabled by default it seems like, as QueryPerformanceFrequency shows a small 3 MHz value. Everything feels ok and HPET apparently is at normal settting, isn't it? So if any app or program needs it, it will use it. I want it to stay that way.

Is this correct? Thanks!

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yeah. Deleting the setting you let Windows to decide.

PS On modern platforms Windows 7, 8, 10 does not enable HPET by default. It is just that Windows 10 latest builds started to use some synthetic timers/counters instead of pure TSC - hence the 10Mhz instead of 3.smthMHz for QueryPerformanceFrequency function.

13. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    I can tell you so much. My system (9900K on GB Aorus Master) becomes more or less unusable when the HPET is enforced. This should not happen, but still does. Windows desktop experience feels as if I downclocked the CPU permanently and when Stardock Fences is running that experienced slows down even further as if I was running on a downclocked Atom CPU.

Disabling various processes and services, as well as the NVidia driver and Intel LAN + WIFI driver made no difference. HPET on my system is broken. Whom do I blame, though, GB or Intel? No idea.

Fortunately the invariant TSC on my 9900K runs at 10 MHz, which should be sufficient for most tasks.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  15. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Yes, I know, but there is a difference between getting fewer fps in a game and turning the whole computer experience into molasse.

16. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    No, the TSC always runs at the stock base core clock frequency (doesn't follow neither SpeedStep/SpeedShift, nor TurboBoost), the Windows timer frequency is always lower. It used to be /1000, now it's always 10MHz (probably still divided from the TSC clock but I am not sure).

Smough likes this.
  17. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    As far as I understand invariant TSC runs at the "nominal" CPU frequency, regardless of Turbo or P-state bins.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Why is this still being debated? Neither Windows or Linux choose HPET as platform clock, for good apparent reasons. HPET even got completely blacklisted for Coffee Lake on Linux. Every claim it to be useful in any way with non-ancient CPUs has never been backed, afaict. So please let this disgusting cruft just vanish from our collective memory, ok...?

Smough and mbk1969 like this.
  19. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Not everyone is just gaming, though, so higher precision time-stamps can be useful. Audio software used QPC for as long as it exists, when games likely did not even care. But since HPET takes too long to be queried it more or less remains only theoretically useful. Too bad.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    AMEN!

SyntaX likes this.