NVIDIA lowers RTX 2060 Pricing - AMD reconfigures Radeon RX 5600 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    If they can just do this with a BIOS update and make it faster, they should in theory try and do this for the 5700/XT people as well, since it doesn't seem fair anymore :(

Also, Hilbert the term is "Start from scratch" not scrap, just letting you know :D

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I think article is a bit misleading with pricing. While 5700s prices are correct for paper launch, there should be another pricing column for "less greedy" actual product launch pricing.

Undying likes this.
  4. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    Exactly and it makes me so mad when people actually try to defend these absurd prices that never came down from the mining craze. Its almost like they enjoy being ripped off.

anticupidon likes this.

5. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    They are just about to release a somewhat crippled (memory and clockwise) 5700 as 5600XT and now to react to nvidias price drop decided to increase the perf. instead of lower the launch price more. It could be achieved easily (with new bios) because this 7nm chips sweet spot lies around 180-190W for performance/consumption. (So they choose 185W for reference 5700XTs) Most custom / OC 5700XT cards are at the max (or a bit over the top) with their 225W bios setting - cannot realy go higher on air cooling. If they would have "allowed" for vanilla 5700 to reach that power target, most people would have bought it instead of the 5700XT probably. Now they will cannibalise the 5700 sales with 5600XT as HH mentioned, but looking at current street pricing there is no big difference on that front either i dare to say. Therefore IMHO a 5600 (non XT) would make more sense for upgrades on a budget with a bit of more disabled cores (1920?) for around 229/239$ (=249€ @start). The gap between 5500XT - 5600XT seems a bit too big, but we will see.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  6. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    Poor me! OK, i should have looked before i say something like this :oops:
    AMD already DID released the specs for the vanilla 5600 with 2048 (=32CU/64ROP) shader cores...
    that looks like has about 11-12% lower overall performance!

(I somewhat missed that in the NEWS :rolleyes:)

Just wait for reviews and actual pricing now ;)

7. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    LOL

First hand experience i guess.

8. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    So, the RX 5600 (non-XT) seems to be released as OEM card only.
    Sorry AMD, i might be the only one who don't get it, but WHY? o_O

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So, finally we have a war between companies.
    Thank you, f*ing finally! Monopoly is bad for everyone.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    How is it being ripped off? This isn't a mainstream card like the 5500, or the rx580, or the 1060. It's not made for relative price/performance like the cards I listed earlier were. If you notice, compared to when the 8800 gt was king for price/performance, there were a lot less different varieties of cards, and a lot less market segments.

But there are also few more factors that determine price. Cost of technology definitely isn't getting cheaper, and supply and demand.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Theoretically, it's limits should be the same as or similar to that of the 5700, so long as the VRMs can can deliver enough power.....since they use the same GPU.

I've had no issues with their drivers.... I play old and new games. All without issues. Stop trying to "tweak" everything and problems become rare....

Don't need feature parity when NVidia is lowering prices... Ray-tracing is still niche... Until Ray-tracing becomes mainstream, it won't matter as much as people think. Right now, it's reserved for those willing to spend absurd amounts of money....

The prices are easy to defend. Economies are based on the principles of "supply and demand". Companies will price their products as high as the market will permit. Since people are willing to pay absurd amounts of money for the products, companies will charge absurd amounts of money. It's not so much greed on the part of the company as it is stupidity or ignorance on the part of consumers. It doesn't matter how much people complain about prices, if they're still willing to pay for the products.

HandR likes this.
  12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Lowering prices makes feature parity all the more relevant with availability in all pricing tiers. Little point in buying a card w/o features like RT or VRS now unless you like spending absurd amounts of money buying another card with the features 7 months down the road. If you hadn't noticed ray-tracing has become mainstream for GPU's.

Maddness likes this.
  13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Remains to be seen how well the 2060 will perform when games will start to fully exploit ray tracing. Also it's kind of a stretch to say RT is mainstream as the RTX prices are not mainstream at all. Mainstream cards would be more like 1660s.

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Given the pricing tier, the 2060S performs as it should with RT and future cards in this tier hopefully will get better. Just like some non-RT cards are not able to run triple-A games at ultra quality settings at certain resolutions, the same will likely be true for RT cards in that same tier. Whether that changes in the future I don't know but that's how the gaming industry segregates their performance tiers. Mainstream in the quote is referring to industry acceptance and using the tech in games and professional software.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    A book is not an idiom, it's a name of a book.

Start from scratch is an idiom. I don't think he is basing his English on a guy who made money in the Scrap Metal business. It's a play on words, but maybe you are also American and think its Start from scrap... I don't know, but here is the definition.

To start from scratch means to begin at the beginning, to restart from the beginning or to start over with no source of aid. The idiom start from scratch comes from sporting events such as cricket, horse racing or boxing which begin with people or animals positioned behind a scratch in the ground.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I Know all of this...that was not the reason for my reply

17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Someone call me when a 2060 or 5600 XT is in the $169 range...until then @#$% em both. I'd sooner buy an AMD R5 3400G and just deal with lower settings.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In before thread closes.

So the pro thing to do would be get a 5600XT and cool it properly to reach stock 5700?

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    More like no experience on his part. Because current AMD's driver bugs for appropriate cards are minor and advancements are big. What AMD did with RIS is nothing smaller than amazing.

My 1080p screen feels like 1440p. And I can enable RIS even for HW accelerated movie playback. And if they ever deliver frame-time based Upscaling with target fps, it will be big win for users.