Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Caenyss, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    BF5 is running like a charm here. Can post a video if you want :)

OnnA likes this.
  2. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    unfortunatelly it doesnt work. I made profiles for other games and made sure they are on auto default. no change. the profile with lowered clocks gets stuck as active until AB is restarted

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I don't think AMD even knows they have an automated acknowledgement email anymore. :p

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    About chipset drivers (2.01.15.2138)... anyone else getting error 1702 during installation or is it isolated to my case?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I've read about others having installation issues and having to either install the relevant component manually (The PCI Express driver mainly.) but it seems uninstalling the old version and then installing the new works for some users, installed here though reports also exists for where it installed seemingly fine and then didn't update the components properly or how the resulting log file shows a failed install so there's still some issues with the install process for AMD to resolve.

EDIT: For the 20.1.2 driver Atelier Ayesha caused a black screen crash so there's still the occasional quirk with the drivers although Assassin's Creed Unity worked without problems start to end plus the Dead King add-on. :D
    (At least it seems only Atelier Ryza actually has some problems with starting up though wrapping it through DXVK works.)

No bomb throwing alchemy adventures with these then. :p
    2020 overall seems to also affect Vega and Polaris GPU models for these issues so hopefully the February drivers will see this fixed for remaining priority problems for Navi and now also even the earlier GPU models.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First Uninstall previous driver, then (no need to restart yet) Install New One -> Error free that way :)

7. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, it has been 5-6 drivers i have to uninstall previous ones by using AMD Cleanup utility as i get the 1702 error at the end of installation.

I do not know if it comes from me or not

8. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Anyone knows what is "Toast notifications" in radeon software? To be specific it is located in settings/general, preferences section. Name sounds funny or i'm not up with some things, does it really notify me when my toasts are ready or does it notify me when my gpu toasts itself?

9. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Both. :p Toast notifications are the Windows Action center notifications that popup up from the right bottom of your screen.

10. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Hm hey guys

i haven't followed the updates recently (20.1.1 / 20.1.2) after i've reverted back to 19.11.3.

Are the blackscreen problems fixed? ^^

~

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    For me yes. But it depends on what the definition of black screen problem is for you.

12. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    In Resident Evil 2 for example:
    DX 12 - Freezing after leaving the game (the last screen/menu screen will stay visible, even ctrl+alt+del doesn't work - but moving the mouse cursor does)
    DX 12 - Random Black screens during gameplay, sometimes acting like a gpu driver reset, sometimes ..i had to reset my computer

+ Yes even tested running the card at stock clock / no modifications to anything ... etc :/

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's still there and still as random as ever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ome_information_regarding_potential/?sort=new

19.12.1 might work otherwise if not well the process is basically one of dropping down to an earlier monthly driver and test until it works for some that's 19.11.3 and others report stable at 19.9.3 whereas some would recommend 19.7.5 so yeah it's pretty random.
    2020 does however introduce the problem to Polaris and from your profile yeah also Vega so 19.12.1 and wait until confirmation that later drivers resolve it and it doesn't affect earlier GPU models either. :)

Thread I linked to has plenty of reports from Vega users and Polaris GPU owners both in addition to the two or three possible driver issues with Navi GPU's so it's not too good even if later drivers do contain a number of good fixes too.

EDIT: For Vega and Polaris 19.12.1 should be solid, OpenGL's a bit of a mess so 19.11.3 for that but you should be able to use these newer drivers with the GPU actually being stable.
    (Should though unfortunately isn't a 100% guarantee even the more demanding titles could work for hours and then something else just goes "Nope!" and the card basically shuts down.)

EDIT: As to what can be observed and measured well GPU-Z will generally have clock speeds throttling in hard just shortly before the problem itself so something's hit a snag in the drivers but as to what well I can't really say.

Looks to be more so for D3D10+ / DXGI thus why DXVK and wrapping D3D9->D3D11 to Vulkan works around the issue but at a upwards of 20% performance hit though the way the GPU drivers work (Mainly on Navi and D3D9 throttling.) it might even be a performance gain although it's a software workaround complicating things and it just needs to be fixed in the code whatever it is. :)

EDIT: As a Navi GPU user being able to lock voltage or clock speeds in would also make for a test situation as I can clearly see the GPU voltages and clocks fluctuating but it's both down and up so sometimes it's near "game" or "base" clock speeds say 1300 - 1600 Mhz only it's actually using less voltage than normal or it might actually be using more.

And sometimes the GPU clocks might be near boost but voltage could fluctuate a bit so there is a possible issue here that can't be tested until the set voltages and clock speeds can be locked or the minimum is P1 and not P0 and P0 disappears when in a situation where the card is under load.
    Thus no 0.900v Wattman for 900 - 1000 Mhz but the game is doing something so the GPU's going at 1300 Mhz around 0.850v or it might bounce into the 1.2v range though lower than supported is worse for stability.
    (The spiking is a issue as well but manageable.)

Or at least have the voltages respect or sync better to or around each respective state even if they are for display only more than anything as Navi does it's thing yet doesn't quite behave. :p

EDIT: Doesn't really explain what's going on over with Polaris and Vega though why these regressed at all and also got this problem and earlier workarounds like locking a P state as minimum or maximum seems to not help so it's not something like less than supported voltage so yeah the sum of it would simply be that the drivers still do need work. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  14. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I went into windows 10 safe mode, uninstalled chipset drivers, did use ddu to uninstall gpu driver, rebooted into normal windows 10 with disconnected internet, installed chipset driver and during installation i'm still getting the same error message but installation ends with success message. Error message:
    https://imgur.com/itQd5cV
    After chipset driver i installed again gpu driver.

Another thing, minor visual glitch with flickering reflections in ac unity:

In video description you can see info about hardware and software.
    How about you, have you noticed something similar on your config?

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That I think I have would explain why I thought the game was briefly flickering or flashing which I attributed to the lighting adaption and changes to the scene (Baked lighting and limits of this while having a form of time transition and a simple rain weather system.) but the game does utilize a form of screen space reflections and it's Syndicate that then drops support for these until the additional segment after the main story. (And somewhat altered lighting though the cutscenes still have a lot of graphical detail preserved in them even if the main game itself looks a bit duller.)

The game was stable and ran well otherwise, definitively nice to see it again and this time with high framerate and only minor game bugs and occasional cutscene glitches.
    Can't fault the drivers here but and those are mainly remaining game issues but that SSR issue could be a either the drivers or just very limited info and optimization for how the game does screen space effects and what these need to work.
    (Angle the camera a bit and it's just about gone, Division would employ a mixture of cubemaps to avoid too obvious transitions plus a fade effect whereas Battlefield 4 and on I think would employ a temporal solution though with slight ghosting.)

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Disable surface format optimizations, use app AA settings, set AA method as adaptive multisampling, use high quality texture filtering and force fixed tessellation at x16, also set the Anisotropy at 16x. Do not let radeon handle many things, there was a rule back in ccc and ati era, we should disable catalyst A.I for best gaming experience and bug free visuals.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some of the options can cause a couple of visual glitches yeah. :)

And from a quick re-read on the Reddit maybe we'll get a 20.1.3 next week too with further fixes. :D
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eq94wk/adrenalin_2020_drivers_need_work/

This I do like, bigger fixes might take time of course but as long as AMD can keep up the pace the fixes will steadily improve and increase and resolve the listed and unlisted known issues and more.
    EDIT: Well the above is still just a rumor of course and we'll see if the next is 20.1.3 or 20.2.1 or less numbered the next January driver or if it'll be until February though with the 5500, 5600 and the 5300 making their appearance and heading to shops and OEM builds they would need driver support so that points towards at least one more driver shortly.

18. cbs1977

cbs1977 Guest

GPU:
    Vega 8
    i confirm that this bug is not yet corrected in driver 20.1.2. I mainly use my PC with ryzen 3200g for movie watching with MPC-HC and Madvr with image enhancements. There´s no problem at all with driver 19.12.1

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Possible Black screen fix on Navi:

For pre-19.12.2 drivers go to

Display tab -> Specs (top right corner) -> Override tab -> Adjust Voltage Swing 1 & Adjust PreEmphasis 2.

For 19.12.2 drivers

Settings (gear top right corner) -> Display tab -> Extend the Overrides section (right side bottom) -> Voltage Swing 1 & PreEmphasis 2.

Make sure with 19.12.2 you have to use latest DDU, in windows safe mode (is paramount) and then install the drivers. Without using DDU in safe mode had issues upgrading from 19.11.1.

-> https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...on_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yeah I had a crash in BF5, my 1st one ever too. But this is on 19.12.3

OnnA I'm sure this is good advice but you gotta tell us what Voltage Swing and PreEmphasis actually do. Definition of each please?
    Does this has something to do with how it controls the monitor?