Help choosing a smartphone for 250-300€

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by anticupidon, Jan 17, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello guys!
    Wife's Nokia 950 just stopped running WhatsApp and although she mentioned it, I completely forgot to search for something.
    Well, I did some searching, but reviews only show so much about smartphones, sometimes an opinion from someone who has the phone as their daily driver can shed more light on the issue.
    So, budget is 250-300€ good camera, battery life and software support.

2. Samsung Galaxy A50 is what i have. Going for $300 US. 4000 mAh battery, decent multi-lens camera, plenty speedy, 64gb storage onboard plus a microSD slot. I really like it.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Thanks for the input!
    Anyone here has a Motorola G8 Plus or a Pocofone F1?

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm not sure what country you're looking in but the Pixel 3a/3a xl would be good options.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Thanks for your input.
    Last draw was between Pixel 3a and Motorola G8 Plus. Wife wanted a red smartphone and she had a 20%off coupon for Amazon, so I ended up ordering Motorola G8 Plus.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I just ordered a Pixel 3A to replace an LG G7 ThinQ.....but FedEx is doing their usual "we're going to reschedule your delivery multiple times so that we deliver your package at the last possible minute" BS..... The phone is sitting 4hrs away....in a FedEx depo....

If you want long support life, Pixel phones are the best option since the Nexus line is gone. Motorola makes some nice phones though. I still have an old Moto X4 sitting here that I use as an alarm clock....lol

7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I am also looking at buying a new phone. Don't really like changing phones. What I would like:
    • Notification LED light on the front. Is it me or is this very useful feature a rarity nowadays?
    • Dual SIM support
    • SD card support (can be 1 sim + 1 sim or sd)
    • Headphone jack
    • USB C port
    • Don't really care about the cameras as long as the back camera is decent in lit conditions and a decent front camera for video calls
    • Preferably durable that doesn't require a case
    Can cost more than 300€ but alas the higher it costs, the less features that I want it will have. :p

Solfaur and 386SX like this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    When my S5 finally dies I plan to get an LG G8s or G8x. Adreno 640, 6GB RAM and basically all features you could wish for for about 325 Euros right now (G8s).
    Oh yeah, one thing is missing: shiny blinky RGB LEDs. :D

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I would be down for a Nokia 6.2 (4/64gb) with 2 years of guaranteed software updates, but my 6.1 hasn't shown any signs of struggle.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Pixel 4a is coming out in May I believe, which should drop the price on the 3a quite a bit.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hope the pandemic will not delay the launch.

12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Got a Mi 9T for €270.

It ticks most of my requirements bar the SD card support and probably not that durable but it comes with a free case and it's got a good grip so not bothering me. It actually does have a notification LED but it's on top of the pop up camera. Pretty useless there since I won't be able to see it unless I keep the phone upside down.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The Redmi Note 8 Pro is fantastic. Xiaomi also just released the Note 9 Pro and I'm sure it's even better. I may buy that one as well. They sell for $200-$250 with specs that are really hard to top at that price.

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Is the new Apple Se2 in that range for you? Personally I'm a Samsung guy, but I've heard that the budget friendly iPhone is pretty slick.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    After having a Pixel 3A for the last few months, I'm having a hard time recommending it to anyone..... The performance of the phone has been fantastic, however, it's "glitches" have placed it among the worst phones I've used. I'll probably be switching back to my (equally glitchy, but not in the same way) LG G7 ThinQ soon to wait out better phones....

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Recently got a Huawei P30 Lite, 6GB RAM + 128GB internal storage version, as a spare phone and I must say I wasn't expecting too much from the phone but it handles what I need it to do well enough.

I watch movies with MXplayer, listen to Spotify, surf the net and I find it able to handle them easily enough. The only caveat is, it doesn't handle games well as it has a slower CPU and GPU. But for everyday basic usage, it's a winner.

17. Night Hope

Night Hope Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    My vote on Xiaomi models - Note 9 Pro

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Said this before (maybe 2015?) but I do not pay for smart phones...it's a step process that follows thusly:

1) Research what offers exist on a network/provider other than the one you are on.
    2) Find the phone you want.
    3) Contact your provider and inform customer services that you wish to leave. (Do this on the second to last working day of the month)
    4) After being transferred internally to "The Retentions Department" - make them aware you wish to leave because you want X phone through Y provider because of Z dealio they offered you.
    5) Play dumb, yet sound mildly frustrated in general terms
    6) Ask the question - 'what would you be able to do?' and, just let the question hang...
    7) Wait for the person to say the famous words 'Let me put you on hold for a second and I'll have a talk with the boss'.
    8) Wait for them to come back and (basically) offer you a brand new phone delivered to your house.
    9) In three years (no less) call customer services again and, rinse and repeat.

The reason you call them on the second to last day of the month, is because people who work in the retentions department are basically 'sales people' who try and keep people on the same network, no matter the cost. Their job has a bonus/commission structure to it, and, if it's the second to last working day of the month, they gotta hit their targets, or, smash them for extra $/£/¥...maybe even employee of the month!

I'll say it again though: you gotta be super-nice, but flustered...even tell them jokes...ask them how the weather is...almost that you leaving is a forgone conclusion, and so...no need to be nasty to them, right? Just very very very 'matter-of-fact' and non-confrontational.

This is like...the Kryptonite of the retentions department: someone that is nice, kind, caring and doesn't want to leave, just...saw a better deal somewhere else. Y'see? The thing is this: customer services are the ones who transferred the call to them, and now they have to deal with you, and you are their problem, but, you are not acting like a **** so, they are basically helpless against your winning personality!

Sales people want to be liked, it is their flaw - and they want to hit their bonus!

So yeah - I never pay for phones...and I've been with the same network for years:

I paid for none of these:

[​IMG]

I had more, but these were the only ones that I kept that pre-date 2007...

386SX and Brasky like this.