Heed help with a ported Linux program on Windows

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by 386SX, Jan 16, 2020.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi all! :)

So I recently started to play with ... a Linux tool for network inspection (no, not KALI ;)) and this was ported to Windows.
    I downloaded the Windows EXE but as requirements there was written I should install some dependencies which I havent found yet for Windows:

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]libpcap
    [*]libusb-1.0-0
    [*]libnetfilter-queue (on Linux only)
    [/LIST]

Seems like I dont need the last one, but from where do I get the other two libraries? Any hints or suggestions?

@anticupidon / @schmidtbag : You probably have got some ideas where to get those?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Smells like bettercap to me.

libpcap- WinPcap installer is available from https://www.winpcap.org/
    The library contained in he binaries is almost the same. Could work

libusb

You can use libusb-win32 for this.

To install libusb on Windows 7 download the bin package for libusb-win32 .Then go to the bin directory and run inf-wizard.exe.

Trouble is the last library ...you need to compile from source and install it in Windows.

I suggest install Cygwin and then Flatpak or Docker and by the means of WSL you could execute some .sh scripts and have some libraries added to WSL.
    Once you have a running Windows Subsystem for Linux, things are easier to launch the desired software. Just don't give chmod 777 to any script, even handed from Linus himself.

386SX and Astyanax like this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Thanks for that. And your nose is right. ;)
    (btw.: DEAUTH is the new GTFO! :D)

Just building a portable device for carrying it around during my walks with either the dog (park with a lot of wireless networks in range; will be interesting!) or the kids (through the city's shopping district, muhahaha). I prepared a laptop for that to try, if successful I will put this into some ultra portable form factor (dog collar or wristband or sth. like that).

I try without the third (only needed in Linux, but my environment is Win) and see how far I can proceed. And I know of chmod 777, dont worry. ;)

EDIT:
    Same goes with unknown code:

Code:
    :(){ :|:& };:
    Lets drop a bomb. ;)

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Some neighborourly pentesting WiFi networks?
    Build a portable hacking device with Raspberry and Kali.

386SX likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    My Linux experience is too small to use kali. I already tried .... multiple times ....

And no, I dont pentest other networks without some written agreement. I just take care of pollution, so the air around me is always clear. :D

EDIT: Or kill "zombies" (we call people who only look on their mobile phones and walk around "ZOMBIES")

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You don't need to be an expert in Linux or a person with long lasting experience.
    Just run the predefined software, usually all tasks are automated and you can learn a lot clearing the air of bad packets (sender wirelessly):p

386SX likes this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    But please let us stay on topic, I always feel bad to give others tool names and possible tutorials for pentesting stuff. My problem so far is solved, I will post back if anything happens. ;)

Thanks again for your help and tips. :)

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    One can stay on topic and pentest own network. To learn how to attack, learning defence is crucial.
    Finding the kinks in the armour is what patience accomplishes.

386SX likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Haha I just woke up an hour and a half ago, but it seems anticupidon has already taken care of this.

anticupidon and 386SX like this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am sure that you would do the same.

386SX likes this.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I guess you are right @anticupidon but nevertheless I think those tools and "manuals" shouldn't belong into script kiddies' hands.

But I fully agree on the defense part!! I already thought about writing a guide for basic protection, but after I saw a lot of gurus fighting even about the easiest things like "do you need an antivirus program or not" (protip: yes, you do! We are not in the 90s anymore!) I feel like that's wasting time for nothing.
    Or do you know the pic with "Good luck! I am behind 7 proxies!"? If the 1st one is pwned it doesn't matter how long the chain is. But you cannot get that into other people's mind! I talk and talk and educate people for YEARS, but only one single company was sensible enough to listen to me: 0, zero, nada infections anymore! Wanna cry, Emotet, you name it ... NO CHANCE!!

Why?
    Because people listened to me and are now able to detect malicious stuff, sometimes even better than I do I must confess. :D

It basically sums up to these rules:
    - use your brain!!!!
    - think about if you are the intended recipient! A production worker will have no reason to get the Q1 finance report by mail, does he?
    - extensions are important! More important than ever! Enable extensions in Windows!
    - protect yourself with antivirus, up2date OS and firewall. NAT is NOT sufficient anymore!
    - never open attachments you don't expect! Ask the sender by calling him / her. NOT by replying to said mail!
    - use "mail options" in Outlook to check the origin of the email. This needs some training, but if you speak or read English and understand basics of IT it will suffice.

... and some more. Depending of your IT skills you can dive deeply into ITSEC or not. The more you do, the better you are / will be protected and prepared if something hits you.

But as I said, a lot of people will disagree and flame around. I am too old for long discussions. :D

Anyway, thanks again guys and have a nice evening. ;)

anticupidon likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    lol yes, one of the easiest ways to get computer nerds (regardless of background) to argue with each other is to make recommendations about security. And when it comes to corporations, they either arrogantly think their security is fine, can't afford to restructure their entire system, or don't care how broken their security is.

That being said, I have some pretty controversial opinions on security, but, I think your rules are sound advice for the average person. Unfortunately, the average person doesn't use their brain, which is why stereotypical spams like Nigerian princes "needing" to give you money continues to exist for a decade.

386SX and The1 like this.