NEW GPU PREVENTS BOOTUP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Larry Heyda, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    I have a good Dell computer but I was using an MSI 1060 GPU 3 gig, and it was messing up my computer. The HDMI port on the card didn't work either. So I just bought a brand new AMD RX780. I figured I would first use DDU to uninstall the MSI card completely, but now, even without the new card in the computer, it doesn't work. When I start it up, the on button flashes yellow/orange and there is a succession of four beeps. I installed DDU using the safe mode, but now nothing works any more, card or no card. HELP!

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    System restore should work if it's purely software, should pass the boot screen though if it beeps before that it's some hardware error and not software since at worst DDU could have removed a chipset component if it was a AMD motherboard which a backup should fix if you did that step since the program does delete system (driver.) files which is a risk.

Personally I would just have uninstalled the driver normally and then tried the new card using DDU if required but you can also see if the MSI 1060 allows it to boot if it's a problematic GPU or if it's something with the cabling or hardware. :)

EDIT: The four beeps is a concern though if we're talking about the post screen before it boots into the OS I would need to know the motherboard model but the common here is a RAM error but it can vary.

If it goes to the boot screen and crashes when loading the OS it could be software but the beeps here are hardware, test the old GPU and see if it boots and if the problem is with the new hardware but if it persists then it's looking like a possible RAM stick failure.

EDIT: For the RAM it depends on the number of sticks but I'd take them all out and try them one at a time finding the faulting stick and getting rid of it.

That might mess with the RAM channel configuration a bit plus you have less RAM now but ideally it's just a single stick gone bad.
    (Was failing, system was shut down and then on boot up which stresses the hardware as power is sent through the components it died.)

Assuming it's not the GPU and it doing something although it sounds like you already tested without the AMD card which again points to a RAM error.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Reseat everything from most of the Dell cases I've seen it's pretty tight in there and you might have knocked something loose.

AlleyViper and JonasBeckman like this.
  4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    good dell computer :D

5. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated

JONAS! I can't thank you enough for your advice! You were right. One of the RAM chips was loose. I got it seated again and the computer booted up normally. Next I plugged the new RX580 (not 780) card into its socket, attached a 6 pin connector plus a 2 pin connector to the card, and went to AMD to install it. It went through the whole procedure, but then told me It could not detect the hardware. I went to device manager and the only thing under display adapters was the on board Intel unit. I don't understand what's wrong. The blue light on the graphics card is shining, the card is seated firmly and the 8 pin plug is in. Any further advice? (Can't thank you enough for the first round of advice.)

6. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    So the card must not have been seated properly because the GPU fans weren't running. This time I really made sure it was seated properly and all plugs were attached I turned the computer on again. This time the GPU fans were running, the blue light was lit, but there was no signal to the monitor. So I have concluded that with the card in, the computer won't boot.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm strange though it does confirm what jbmcmillian mentioned about how it could be packed pretty tightly within these and thus a risk of something coming loose when switching hardware, unfortunate to hear that it wasn't enough to resolve the problem though wonder what it is this time then unless it's some other cable issue.

Shouldn't be too much though there's the main ATX and that tends to stick quite well, additional auxilary power in some systems though occasionally it's just a bigger ATX cable from 20 to 24 pin.
    CPU fan connector could be a thing though as can other fan cables.
    Then there's the RAM but that's slotted in now and the GPU is also checked and getting power as the fans are spinning but it's not displaying anything for whatever reason.

Any 500w power supply or thereabouts ought to be able to have enough for that as long as the cables are all in order, 6 pin or 8 pin (Sometimes that's a six pin with a separate two pin as well.) and nothing like 2x 6-pin when it should be a 6 and a 8 or similar.
    Also no double connectors meaning there's a 8-pin splitting off into 2x 6-pin as sometimes well it might not be enough or it might not hold stable for any possible higher power draws or potential spikes.

Fans are running though so the GPU is turning on and activating but there's no image. Should at least get to the POST screen and initial boot process at this point.

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Just a note, if you can, you could still edit the title thread. Given that it all points to an hw/hw installation issue, it's not fair to to mislead fellow forum users into thinking it was caused by DDU, which at most would only cause (after POST) OS related issues.

9. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    Good suggestion, Alley Viper. Thanks

AlleyViper likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the RX580 might not be bios compatible.

11. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    In searching inside the case I found a pair of wires not attached to anything (at one end). Can anyone tell me where they go? Maybe they have something to do with my GPU problem? They are attached to the back wall of my case.[​IMG]

12. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    How would I determine that?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ask the subvendor

14. Larry Heyda

Larry Heyda Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    Just found the answer: what a bummer:

Re: XPS 8300, Radeon RX 560, no go

The Bios Requires DOS VESA video mode 103. Because this isn't there it never turns on and you cant get into F2 Bios. This is a UEFI vs Legacy option roms Issue. The Radeon 3450 5450 6450 6670 7750 never had these issues. AMD says that GCN series GPUs don't support Vesa Video mode 103. Sapphire tech support is very unfriendly about it. Nvidia on the other hand supports ANCIENT Dells like the DELL YC523 Dimension 9100 XPS 400

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You should be able to boot uefi gpus with legacy bios motherboard.

You cannot boot bios only enabled gpus with uefi motherboard.

Blame Dell. Everyone should throw all those dell systems out of the window. Take the hammer and break it. I've always hated those good for nothing branded pcs.

In my job, I avoid providing IT support to Dell users, using their products from desktops to monitors like the plague, I do not like limited unimaginative products.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    If you have the Dell XPS 8300, try this BIOS from 2014
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/s...rid=r318123&oscode=biosa&productcode=xps-8300

Otherwise, check your BIOS for any options concering Legacy and UEFI, and change to the other. If there's CSM (compatibility support module), set it to load both UEFI and Legacy opROM for maximum compatibility.
    Others have also said disabling Secure boot prompts has worked. Try disabling everything that makes it differ from the traditional POST (older Asus users have said disabling Expressgate was successful)

It's usually working for older motherboards with normal BIOS, and manufacturers like Gigabyte and MSI have released updates fixing this issue on their affected motherboards, which you can't count on for the pre-builts.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if there is an acpi 2.0 setting in the bios, turn that on.

its required for Turing and Navi to work on x58, and those are legacy bios.