Epic Games Store has more than 100M users

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2020.

1. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I think people are missing the jist of the article. Epic is not bragging on how much they have sold. They are merely stating fact that to date they have had 108 million people subscribe to their site in less than a year. I am sure that anyone of us, to Include myself, and 3dGuru( I do not speak for Hilbert) would love to have 108 million people visit and subscribe to our web site in 12 months time. Every article here turns in to the J.F.K. assasination investigation lol. [​IMG]

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I've picked up most of the free games and to be honest spent a good £150 so far on games. Waiting for Metro to come to another platform wasn't something I was prepared to do with a 2080ti. Not playing heavy rain and beyond on pc isn't something I'm prepared to miss though. Control is wanted but it's too weird to justify more than £15 for me.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So they're bragging about how many people subscribed for free games? "lol"

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kinda funny. I must be one of the few people on these forums who doesn't have much of a gripe with Epic, yet, I've never use EGS.

It's worth pointing out that a large amount of accounts are secondary, tertiary, or higher, for the sake of evading bans on games like Fortnite for hacking/cheating.
    I'm sure if you were to only look at primary accounts, the statistics would appear very different.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'm sure everyone here would like to have the money to give like 40 games and secure timed exclusivity. I still feel like EPIC are pushing the client down the throat of gamers. I have 35 games on it and i have not paid a single one of them. Obviously when you give that many games in such a short period of time and secure timed exclusivity people will download your client no matter what. But it's still a very basic client lacking lot of features and i'm not so sure i trust Epic to make it mature into something really worth my cash. For now i grab the free games and if the client improves i might buy something but the client is currently not impressive they are just giving lot of free games which is nice and all but nothing worth mentioning as an accomplishment.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I didn't buy anything, but I have 70 good free games! Thank you, EPIC!!! :D

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The bolded part is the most important, lots are only there for the freebies. Nothing wrong with that but if we exclude those people and the Fortnite players then Epic store doesn´t seem to have a lot of users who are really interested in the platform provided by them...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    They have 108M users overall, that's very different from "gained 108M in 12 months" because they have existed as a launcher for Fortnite and everyone who was using it automatically became EGS users. It would have been far more interesting if they have posted statistics about number of games sold per title or how many concurrent players there are in each game. That would have really shown how much they have grown as a platform. As it is, I'd say that most of those users and most of the cash comes from Fortnite and not the store.

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't think Epic has a problem with that. It's not for nothing that they're giving away games; this is a key part of their strategy - get more people to use the platform and build up their game library. After all, the main reason why Steam gamers prefer Steam is because that's where most of their games are (we want all our games under one launcher). Epic wants us to build up our Epic library so that it rivals or exceeds our Steam library.

This is similar to how AMD was selling first-gen Zen CPUs for cheap. It's not immediate profit that was the motive, but to get more Zen CPUs into people's hands and build up their market share. The profit part will come later, after a strong base is established.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I said this would happen. Despite all the initial resistance, free games and exclusives lured people in. Epic is still working primarily to pull users into their ecosystem. The holdouts seem few, or at least less vocal than they initially were. I don't have anything from EGS yet and had initial concerns, but at this point I don't have any substantial beef with Epic other than not being a fan of exclusives (at the same time I don't know how a new platform could possibly compete without something to stand out, whether that's exclusives or going after old, unavailable games like GoG did).

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    But PC gaming is dead.

Hypernaut and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can't complain about the free games.

Atleast they're doing something with their money that doesn't involve swimming in it... right?... Gabe?

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    The exclusives are annoying but i have no beef with epic if they are the cheapest of the 3 gog/steam/epic i will buy from em..... except if the game has good modding community ....then steam workshop alone making it number 1 with out a contest!

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    EG do much better than EA Origin or ubisoft Uplay
    if comparing to steam, over 1billion user (15 million concurrent users https://store.steampowered.com/stats/), then its still far, but for 1year-old-store its doing great enough

user spent, imo for a game-store, its quite low
    if we look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_mobile_games
    a single mobile-games like PUBG Mobile $1.5 billion March 19, 2018... so is like generating over 500mil per-year
    for steam game sales back 2017 is 4billion iirc... today probably around/over 5bil ?

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, i claimed all the free games but i am sure i already had them spread across steam and the xbox. Lol

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This is how out of touch we are though. There's a market here that Epic has been able to tap into more effectively than most of the other launchers and that's the younger audience.

For them, Steam means nothing and Origin is just Fifa. Epic has a much stronger grip on a generation who will be growing up with them within the next decade and beyond. Don't under-estimate Epic's foundation work here. They're building a huge loyal following, one that thinks we're old farts.

17. Locoyote

Locoyote Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Six game launchers installed and counting: So far I've got Steam, Uplay, Origin, Epic, Oculus and Rockstar. I've got 97 games on Steam, all purchased gradually over the last few years. I've about got 70 free games on EGS so far from 2019, so they're catching up fast. To be fair, half the free games I'm not interested in playing, but I like collecting them even if I don't install them. :)

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The thing is, I treated Steam in a similar fashion. I would buy a bunch of games just to have them in my collection, and then spend the next year or two playing a single game. The vast majority of my hours on Steam are in two games: Fallout 4 and Borderlands 2.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Not if they don't upgrade the client quickly. I doubt kids will be fine with just a plain old store for long. Old farts yeah. Kids nope not gonna fly. Just the lack of achievements is a big deal for young adult gamers. If they don't have them implemented by the time Fortnite will slow down not sure people will stay on EGS. And the achievements is just the tip of the iceberg. No integrated support for mods, no tags for library (this is a massive fail for people with huge library which is nobody right now on EGS but it will come), absolutely no community features whatsoever, etc ... considering that for young adults XBox Live has always been one of the big selling point of the xbox i just don't see how just a plain old store will fly for more than 2-3 years.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    We're talking about kids who play Fortnite. Influencers and trendy skins are more of a factor than whether there are achievements and tags. Kids just want to play what their friends are playing (you don't want to be the only kid not playing the game), and what their friends play are what's trendy and cool among their favorite streamers. Stores and launcher features have virtually nothing to do with it.