GTA IV disappears from Steam - Games For Windows Live support the issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Games For Windows Live has been a reason that you couldn't play GTA IV anymore for a long time now, I didn't even know it was still purchaseable.
    We enjoyed playing its multiplayer on LAN parties a few years ago, since it gives you a far more controlled environment then the open-world multiplayer of GTA 5, but with GfWL dying, we couldn't do that anymore.

3. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    "Grand Theft Auto VI is likely Rockstar's highest priority project at the moment, even though CJ's voice actor has shot down the rumors about the game being in development" That really made me lol. I guess we should accept games arent developed over years but magically appear just before release.

4. simnov

simnov Guest

GTA VI would not be able :):):)

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    When did May Lay said that GTA VI isn't in development? He just said that CJ won't be in gta vi

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    GTA 4 was the abomination among Grand Theft Auto games , it ran like crap (ballad of gay tony ran way better already) , and it had stupid assignments like *SPAM*.
    Since they already renewed the licenses of their songs (it received a patch twice) , it doesnt make sense to not remove games for windows live and still have it for sale.
    They should have removed it anyways when the news was out microsoft was gonna drop the service.

airbud7 and JonasBeckman like this.
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just the thought of Games for Windows Live makes me cringe.

airbud7 and Solfaur like this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    GFWL... i guess that's why GFWL 2.0 is such a success?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The 2016 update sounds like it improved stability and performance though at the cost of existing mod compatibility.
    That should have been a prime opportunity to shift LIVE to Steam API as well but I guess they've kinda run out of alternatives now so it has to be either Steam or Rockstar Social Club/Rockstar Game Client.

I'd like to see D3D11 implemented but that's not really feasible much as it'd lift the D3D9 API restrictions and shifting it to x64 is probably also unlikely much as it'd improve memory constraints although Large Address Awareness and increasing the existing 2048 values in the config file to 3072 could perhaps also be a way though the CPU performance and moving to a better graphics API would likely be a bigger benefit but yeah they're not really known for remasters or re-releases far as I know.

Assuming the Red Dead Redemption code situation an early RAGE code might also apply here that could be another reason as to not re-releasing or "remastering" the game for newer hardware.
    Which at least did happen with GTA V and it's PC and current-gen console ports and perhaps Red Dead 2 for the upcoming console hardware though it could be based on the existing PC port now too.

Now then let's see how things go for GTA VI and the numerous "leaks" and other rumors already on that. :D

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I bought gta IV last year and could not make it run even after 4 hours of googling and fiddling. Gave up and refunded it. Or well I could make it run but I could not play multiplayer/save.

Hope they bring it back with just steamworks integration.

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I wonder how, i've never had any issues with launching gta 4, if it was few years ago or few days ago. Actually i did install the game few days ago and launched it without issues, even logged in to gfwl. What were your exact problems with launching gta 4? I'm genuinely curious.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Although I own the game on Steam, I use a cracked version to avoid GFWL. BTW - this is how you get the game to run on Proton, if anyone cares.

BoGT ran better because they seemed to fix a memory leak, that was never fixed in the original game.
    Honestly, aside from how broken the game was or doing stuff like *SPAM* or bowling with Roman, I liked the story mode of GTA4 a lot better than GTA5. Niko is kinda an idiot but the story felt more coherent and I cared more about the characters. I found the missions to be a lot more fun and memorable too.
    In GTA5, I have no sympathy for Michael whatsoever (seriously, all he does is complain and talk about movies, and he's at fault for all of his own problems), Franklin's life choices don't suit his personality (he's the only playable character in the entire franchise who actually seems like a decent and responsible human being), and although Trevor is by far the most interesting character, most of his missions seem so meaningless. I find most of the missions to be forgettable, and a lot of them are just outright boring or uninspiring. GTA5 isn't a bad game by any means, but I find it the least enjoyable. Never played it online but I didn't get the game for online play.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Solfaur likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GTA V gets a bit fragmented by the triple story or how it branches back and forth connecting and then separating and from memory how each character is something like a different aspect of a GTA protagonist or something to that nature but I might be remembering that detail incorrectly.
    Plus a lot of stuff happens as you switch back and forth or do some of the side missions and such stuff whereas Niko's little tale felt more focused though very grim or dark or how to say even within the satirical tone the games often take.

And a lot of story missions total and quite a bit of somewhat forced upon the player mechanics and various events no wonder the two side tales Balad especially is so well received cutting loose some of that.
    Been years since I played through GTA IV though and GTA V I rushed through the last parts a bit though I enjoyed the various takes on the ending but GTA IV also had somewhat of a twist on things as I remember at least. :)

Like Niko as a character more than the trio of trouble though players could patch up and improve things a bit for some of them but then story kinda does it's thing and personality just shifts and alters with plot too at some points making it feel a bit weird or how to say but eh I might have missed some details too in those last few missions.

Also used a ton of mods for GTA IV I do remember that much, cousin let's go bowling...oh look who's banned from the bowling hall guess I can just skip that. ~
    (Then things got kinda crazy with scripting and all sorts of fascinating additions beyond various tweaks and mini cheats. :D )

EDIT: Could do with a replay at some point perhaps, bit of a backlog and I always kinda liked the classic 2D games before going into blocky 3D with Liberty, Vice and San Andreas not that those were bad or anything.

Then GTA IV and V became these gigantic games with a ton of stuff in them, one day perhaps.
    RDR2's on the backlog as well once it's gotten some more patches at least and AMD fixes the artillery shell holes they turned the tessellated terrain feature into, very symmetrically aligned shell holes.
    (Well it doesn't outright break anything other than how it looks I suppose so at least it's just a visual glitch.)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    BetA and schmidtbag like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

There has been absolutely no problem with GFWL and Windows 10 with this game, it has been perfectly playable, all you need is the GFWL client downloaded and to login.

Issues with GFWL come from using the bundled installer with games downloaded on steam instead of the latest

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Live/PC/DownloadClient

MerolaC likes this.
  15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I think he said he was able to make it run but the multiplayer and whatever save feature were not working properly. From what i know GFWL still work sort of correctly on windows 7 but on windows 10 you must not rely on the default installation or else it's not working properly most of the time.

16. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Personally i've never been interested in mp in gta series. I did launch it in gta 5 once because friend asked me to do so but i didn't enjoy it and never run it again. So to clarify: yes, gta 4, 5 and all others, gta I including are working for me in their single player portion.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Exactly this

Also, as an alternative, you can just use the XliveslessAddon, which completely removes the need for GFWL (And online).
    As a plus, put GTAIV.EFLC.FusionFix that fixes a lot of issues in the game.

XlivelessAddon
    https://bitbucket.org/ThirteenAG/xlivelessaddon

GTAIV.EFLC.FusionFix
    https://github.com/ThirteenAG/GTAIV.EFLC.FusionFix/releases

Astyanax likes this.
  18. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    Games For Windows Live

What a joke it was.

19. Irenicus