Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rambo, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    weird mate ,, its always been like that for me .. 120, 100, 85, 72, 60 all 200mhz

144hz full speed

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I can't wait for whql. If beta already "is" stable and fixed many, it will be a date to remember. Well done RTG. Next stop the 5600xt release driver. We are gonna have some serious fun!

3. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Speedfan don't cause any problem. Well. not here.

4. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    Yea probably, but isn't it meant to be just a problem with 5700xt? Videos are less smooth with HW accel disabled, it doesn't drop frames, but looks like it does :( I've disabled HW accel for now. Scrolling down Reddit or Facebook becomes a horrid tearing experience with it disabled.
    Even running Winamp and playing games its far less stable, ugh.

I gave my friends kid my old HD7770 1GB that I had as a backup card and he had to disable whatever the HW accel option is in Discord or he would get crashes, so its the drivers that are borked for a wide range of AMD cards.

Does anyone have a good uptime with any of these newer drivers? The lack of stability really irks me.

If I use DDU now it doesn't get back into windows normally, I can hear that it got there, but the display is stuck on the windows loading picture. The built in driver reset works ok.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020

5. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    All videos, either browser or movies, even apps, are butter-like smooth on my freesync monitor.

Driver just works for me.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Still rarely get a 5 second freeze in COD. I think someone had mentioned disabling a graphic setting. Which was it?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Driver release notes were updated with the hardware acceleration problem added as a known issue.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng16s/5700_series_users_amd_added_this_to_the_patch/

There's more to it but it's good to have the HW acceleration issue itself acknowledged at least. :)

rflair, Jackalito and Undying like this.
  9. UkOldGit

UkOldGit Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    What worked for me was setting the in game textures to normal instead of high. Other in game graphics seem to have no impact to the freezing.

MaCk0y likes this.
  10. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    So, boost and anti-lag features are mutually exclusive?

Guess there is a technical reason behind it.

11. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Yep the only fix for me too, some people said disabling sun shadow/spot shadow cache helps with stuttering as well.

12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Just had a hard system lock-up because I opened a 3rd tab in Firefox...ugh

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm all of these at least in earlier Call of Duty games had a pretty significant impact on used VRAM, guessing 10 GB is a thing then and not 8 GB but monitoring would have to be used to confirm how much actual VRAM is utilized.
    Preferably by the process itself and actually in use instead of just reserved or cached and not total system VRAM usage but eh if it exceeds the 7.5 - 7.8 GB limit - OS and other stuff taking a bit after all - then yeah that'd confirm it just the same.

EDIT: Well shadows or shadow map texture impact on VRAM isn't new but the amount used can be a bit of a surprise if measured or if the game has some early approximation on VRAM consumption where higher settings or toggling options on can see a surprisingly large increase on the total estimated VRAM usage. :)

Modern texture maps and diffuse, normal, albedo, specular, metal and more can also add up if it's going for high-res BC7 type near lossless compression and then even for 1920x1080 or thereabout for display resolution exceeding 4 - 6 GB isn't too uncommon in current games.

BC5 or DXT5 more lossy can still build up a respective usage of texture memory too in games that either don't use or support BC7 D3D10+ DDS formats.

Well that's making it a bit more complex than need be, COD using a ton of memory is also not exactly knew far as I know.

Tons of shaders too! Earlier driver from AMD even removed the prior 128 MB cap on the individual shader cache files for one of these games some years ago and hitting that limit at all when the files are around 4 - 10 MB or so is quite a lot of cached shaders.

Though it would do since it keeps it per level or something and building a game specific cache the first time a map is opened and how that adds to AMD's single per-process cache if enabled and then doing it all over after every update hopefully invalidating the older files also to avoid problems.
    (Think AMD's drivers are a bit better at that at least now in later drivers, early ones well manual deletion at least works and AMD does clear these folders on a driver update also so that'd do it too.)

Adrenaline 2020 also has a somewhat more visible setting now for clearing said shader cache for troubleshooting purposes as one of it's improvements though outside of using regedit the setting to disable caching for D3D somehow got lost, OGL and VLK is as usual enforced same as before. (Which far as I know is a good thing.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Jackalito likes this.
  14. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Disabling HW acceleration in the web browser solved all issues for me. Black screens - gone.

15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Getting a 1604 error upon installing these. Tried DDU and AMD cleanup in safe mode. The drivers seem to have installed anyway but haven't run a game yet...

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    It does reach 8172MB VRAM with high textures.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  17. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Not useable on Call of Duty Modern Warfare!
    At least not on my Vega64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When i installed the new 20.1.1 Driver i saw that something felt strange during Gameplay.
    And indeed it looks horrible:
    [​IMG]

So i installed the old 19.12.2 Driver and everything is back to Normal!
    [​IMG]

But it seems like i'm the only one with this Problem?

Edit:
    As always... DDU helps with most issues -.-

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  18. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I don't play CoD, but just a thought --- have you tried to play a little bit with HBCC and anti lag settings under the new driver?

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Getting 16.6k graphics score in firestrike with this driver, one of the best performers so far.

Although 580 is overclocked (1500mhz, memory timings lvl 2, 2100mhz) thats basically same as rx590 and gtx 1660.

OnnA likes this.
  20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I've been playing ALOT of CODMW and I have to say, it's super stable and no problems whatsoever with this drivers.
    Try this.
    Go ingame, configure the game graphics as you want it to be.
    Exit and go to Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players\
    There, delete ppsod.dat
    Do the same for Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players2\
    (File might not be there)

Then, start the game again, and sit on the main menu, let it completely generate the cache.
    Once it says that it's done, exit the game and start it again.

Try a few rounds and see how it works.

Also, do not use Enhanced Sync, only use the In Game frame limiter and Anti lag if you want/need to.

OnnA likes this.