Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Glad the lowering of volumetric fog helped out!

I haven’t played Gears 5 in some time, I’ll fire it up again at some point, I’ve always left the shader cache enabled, never really had a reason not to.

Gearbox actually lowered the amount of time particles exist on screen with a recent patch, for both performance and gameplay reasons, it was very difficult to spot enemies in certain situations previously.

Another setting you can tweak is environmental detail, that’s another setting that hits performance quite hard, shouldn’t notice much difference visually with it down a notch.

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The game got better since launch, and Moxxi DLC is totally a blast specially with the new weapons.

I hope the DLCs will be as good or even better than Moxxi, so far it seems like a gr8 start(Plus the OST of the DLC is amazing!).

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If you do install and play it again, could you test to see how it plays with shader cache turned off? I'm betting that I'm not the only one affected by this.

To me, that was always part of the appeal of the BL series. Total mayhem and absolute chaos with so much sh!t happening on screen that you couldn't even tell who was friend or foe. :D

Thanks for the tip, although the game is running really well now with volumetric fog set to medium. It's going to be interesting to see what my CPU usage is like in both DX11 and DX12 in those areas you mentioned earlier that were giving you problems.

BTW, what CPU do you have?

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Sure I’ll give Gears 5 a go this weekend if I have time without the shader cache enabled and report back.

I’m using an i9 7940X @4.6GHz, I haven’t tested DX11 in those areas with any of the recent patches so things may have improved, but at launch it was pretty terrible.

It seems to be running pretty well with those new drivers in DX12 and there’s more performance updates on the way apparently.

But you’re right about the particles and the chaos it caused, I really miss the hardware PhysX from Borderlands 2.

Carfax likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

I just got to Lectra city and it runs well in DX11, so they must have fixed whatever problems it had at launch time.

*Edit* After switching to DX12, Lectra City does run faster than in DX11. DX11 still has good performance though.

DX12 still runs slightly slower for me in areas that aren't CPU heavy, so hopefully some more patches will rectify that. With DX12, I am getting higher GPU utilization and lower CPU utilization compared to DX11, which is what should happen. But for some reason, DX12 is giving me about 8-10 FPS less than DX11 unless I'm in somewhere like Lectra City.

It's probably because the developers aren't as good at optimizing the GPU's performance as NVidia's drivers. Under DX12, things that would have been done automatically in the driver with DX12 must now be handled by the developer manually, including important things such as memory management.

I remember using a dedicated PhysX card for that game, and it caused some slight stutter at times. I'm sure there was a lot of overhead associated with using hardware acceleration, especially for a DX9 32 bit title.

At any rate, Control has really good software PhysX so it's now possible to do everything that was done in BL2 on CPU. BL3 should have had a PhysX option that enables greater quality and quantity of particle effects for those that could enable it if their CPU is up to task.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    anxious_f0x likes this.
  6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I hope they just choose one API and put everything behind making it run as well as possible, DX11 seems to be at it's limit draw calls wise so DX12 looks to have more scope for improvement, so perhaps they'll go with that. DX11 is particularly bad when playing in co-op.

I've played Control, the PhysX effects are pretty amazing, really enjoyed that game.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Call of duty has that thing that never gets old because its fun,it s about kill streaks

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Indeed! I finished the game after 53hrs and that's without any DLC. Loads of funny side missions to do.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The DLC is pretty large, really enjoyed playing through it, had some real Borderlands 2 vibes :D

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Finished this today, I liked it, loot and lots of killing, plus some very nice visuals.

anxious_f0x and Carfax like this.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree! I never finished BL2, but it looks like I might finish BL3 (just hit level 24). BL3 is a much more polished and enjoyable game than BL2 was, from a gameplay, performance and graphical perspective.

anxious_f0x and rflair like this.
  12. An interesting DEV video about BL3 in UE4 and some engine changes they had to implement. (from technical art. point of view)

anxious_f0x likes this.
  13. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    They're off to a good start with the first DLC so let's hope they at least keep the quality at the same level.

I wonder if we'll see something massive like Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragonkeep? *Fingers, toes, eyes, and testicles crossed*

anxious_f0x likes this.
  14. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Is this game playable solo as well?

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Yep, my first two play throughs were solo.

Also, new DLC announcement trailer.

moab600, AsiJu and scatman839 like this.
  17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Yes, finally some gay crap there :)

It looks really good though.

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Good that it's hitting Steam.
    But even so, this would only be a buy depending on the price.

I'm sure I'd find some fun in the gameplay. But I absolutely hate the writing/humor in the BL games. And I've been told BL3 has some of the worst of the entire series.

Kolt likes this.
  19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Season pass is mad expensive, even with the current EGS discount (and for no real reason my £10 discount token wont work on it)

Will wait for later when other two come out. First DLC was meant to be reasonably good, but after the prequel DLC "season pass" being utterly shite i'm sceptical.

As for writing, it's the villains in BL3 that fu.ck it up, the rest of the game is pretty good.

20. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Its really not that bad in BL3. The villains are just a satire of streamers, they are supposed to be annoying.

From the half way point towards the end there is actually some good background on the twins and I found them to be pretty good villains.