Do you guys let Windows update your card driver automatically?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenonS, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Sadly, with the rate Windows 10 was designed to update (thank goodness they are at least only doing a feature update every year now) its up to individuals like us to tweak it back to a normal state. Microsoft is saving money by keeping less internal testers employed and are using more insiders for testing new features.

If you don't stay in the know, it won't matter what you have learned all the way back to Windows 3.1. The standby memory bug, Intel UHD displayport sleep issues (at least on current dell business-grade computers that i have witnessed), and context menus reverting to what looks to be classic windows theme and file explorer search bars corrupting (UI issues) after some time that the computer is running are just a few issues i've seen in regards to Windows 10 that weren't part of past versions.

As far as UAC, i use to disable it thinking i would always know what's running on my PC, but what if you accidentally click on an executable that runs without asking how it wants the user to configure its options or run a command that needs elevation and you realize you were changing the wrong property?

It's one of those things that may save you from a bad decision.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    DDU has a huge button, front and center, in the app that allows you to turn off driver updates in Windows. Physically changing your home network so you can install drivers doesn't sound like the easy way to me.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Once again, just because I am not a tweaking fool now, does not mean I've probably forgotten more about Windows 10 than you're pretending to teach me. Do you do anything but make assumptions as arguments, ever? Yes, I am clearly an idiot that just randomly installs programs... how have I ever managed to not get a virus in decades....just dumb luck I guess.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I think you took my response a bit personal. Apologies, but I didn't mean to direct it entirely at you, just saying in general why these things are available and that these days things are changing more rapidly with Windows and those who exploit are getting craftier with scam links and installing hidden software along with intended software installations.

Don't know if someone else called you an idiot, but i didn't.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I just disable my Network Adapter in Device Manager.