NVIDIA Announces New G-SYNC Esports Displays

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA today unveiled new G-SYNC® displays with a 360Hz refresh rate, providing esports enthusiasts and competitive gamers with the fastest gaming displays ever made. At 360Hz, game frames are displa...

NVIDIA Announces New G-SYNC Esports Displays

2. Frazer

Frazer Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 OC
    Can we really see a significant difference between 144hz, 240hz and 360hz refresh rates?

3. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    if you give the money to buy it, you will see the difference, if you get what i mean ;)

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Placebo mostly. But then again, there will be a difference that you will notice only on very high fps.

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I am also curious if the human eye can really spot the difference...
    When I changed from 60 Hz to 165 Hz I noticed a difference in smoothness on the screen but from there up I think that is only marketing...
    If you change from 60 Hz to 360 then yes you will see a difference but from 144 or 165 to 360 I doubt it.

mentor07825 likes this.
  6. Firstperson

Firstperson Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080 Super
    LTT did a video on it, check it out on youtube. (If your eyes can see a difference)

7. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    Yes, very clearly to be honest

Robbo9999 likes this.
  8. Avalanche

Avalanche Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1080
    Short answer: Yes, up to 240hz. There hasn't been anything significantly faster since the first 240hz monitor launched so we don't know yet if going from 240hz to 360hz makes a difference.

Short answer: You do on some situations, like when you're turning around 180º as fast as you can because you just got shot from behind.

Long answer: Most monitors that work at 60hz or even 120hz/144hz do not "truly" (100%) display 60/120/144 frames a second because not every pixel can faithfully transition between the right colors fast enough. This gives off an effect called "smearing" where some frames look badly blurred, which makes it harder for your brain to accurately recognize small targets (like heads) when both of you are moving at high speeds. (Apex Legends is one of those games where this happens often).

Higher refresh monitors have better pixel transition times (they have to be within a certain margin of error to be considered 240, 280 or now 360hz) which means fast moving scenes are much sharper, which allows you to track and aim faster.

There are plenty of videos in youtube with blind tests between 240 and 144 refresh rates (its the same monitor, but one has its refresh rate capped to 144) and 80% of the players can accurately tell which one was smoother (faster), so it's noticeable.

Personally, I think they'll keep trying to increase refresh rates just like TV makers are trying to convince us to upgrade to 8k, just to milk customers for more money.

9. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Does Nvidia have a videocard for 360 fps?

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I found a YT blind test on differentiating 60 vs 120 vs 144. He managed to differentiate 60 and 120 Hz, but he hesitated (and if I remember correctly, failed once from 2 attempts) when comparing 120 and 144 Hz.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Meanwhile, if you test a display with appropriate hardware, many don't even have the specifications they marketeer.
    It amazes me to see most cheap 144hz displays struggle to give true 100hz experience.

12. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    there is no video card that can get over 160 fps at 1440p or 2160p in AAA titles with all the eye candy turned on ! Hell maybe someone with two 2080 TI can tell me if I am wrong ...
    For esports - that is entirely different since most game on 24'' ... at 1080p ... and some even turn the eye candy off as it;s a distraction for them . ... no foliage , no post processing ... some game with almost full brightness ... etc.

13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i can definetely tell the difference between the generic 60hz and my first 3d monitor samsung 120hz syncmaster.

It was quite a step up. Then i got an asus 144hz but was not as good as that old samsung.

Regarding the comment about apex legend, how can that be game dependent?

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    this?
    well he said he see no different between 240hz and 360hz

reading this make me abit curious, the tech seems throwing things they can make and hoping people jump in the trend (basically they not focusing in one thing before stepping to next)
    not saying its bad, its good that the tech progressing fast

but there is raytrace stuff to catch up... then resolution race 8k... then now extreme refresh rate 360hz
    the gpu even still have long way to catch up in raytrace.... 4k seems catching up pretty good...
    then for extreme refresh rate, i guess we stay in fullHD ?

next Nvidia will saying "u can get those features with our $5000 gpu" ?

15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I don't know what the limit is, theoretically speaking, but say at 360Hz and matching frame rate something that's 10 pixels wide like a bullet goes whizzing by in your favorite shooter, will it appear smooth? What about when you whip your head around really quick to look behind you? What about if you're looking out the side window of a speeding vehicle, will everything be jittery, or will it be going by smoothly enough to track small objects?

At some point the frame rate and refresh rate could theoretically be high enough that any motion blurring you see is just a result of your eyes not being able to keep up with the changes on the screen, which viewed in slow motion would appear perfectly sharp. That will be a high enough speed for my taste, at least.

As an aside, I'd like to see the whole progressive-scan refresh thing get chucked out the window. With digital display and enough complexity, there should be a way to update the entire picture at one go, and sort of like in video compression, only change the pixels that need changing, to save bandwith or power or whatever. Then frame rates and refresh rates should only depend on the speed of motion in a scene and be adjusted up or down accordingly, again to save bandwidth/power/the world. Alternatively for cinematic effects you could use different frame rates to convey different qualities to a scene. Or whatever.

16. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    "24.5 inch Full HD display"

Glad I'm not a pro gamer. That sounds terrible.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Definitely you'll see a difference, high refresh rate is mostly about reducing blur during movement which allows you to capture details during movement that you wouldn't have done otherwise, and in close combat scenarios when you're panning the camera real fast to aim at your opponent you're just getting more information through to your eyes to judge what he's doing and to help you lay the cross hairs on him - it's just a lot easier and makes stuff possible that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to do, that's my experience going from 75fps to 144fps. Since then I've overclocked my monitor to 180Hz and there is a small advantage to be gained from 180Hz vs 144Hz, but not a great difference. Now this 360Hz monitor that will improve things even more and that's a significant bump up from the 240Hz max that we often see now. Blurbusters website have proven that there are advantages to minimising motion blur all the way up to 1000Hz, so manufacturers can still keep upping the Hz to allow for better experiences....but the caveat is that those games need to have no artificial frame rate caps, and also you need a video card & CPU capable of pushing those high framerates - you can turn down game details to help though. The idea of a 1000Hz monitor is quite attractive from a maxed out competetive perspective, but it would mean that you're trading eye candy for fps...video card technology is not outgrowing game software development fast enough to allow for 1000Hz with full eye candy in future 'state of the art' games...so it'll be a tradeoff between eye candy and fps when you're trying to hit your max refresh rate of the highest refresh rate monitor you can find at any given time.

Yep, you just turn down game details to hit your target, provided your CPU and RAM (platform) can allow you to hit that target too.

yasamoka likes this.
  18. Nano2k

Nano2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    Haha, I remember checking out my 24" BENQ 144Hz before selling it (just to make sure it still worked).
    I thought to myself WTF how the hell did I ever game on this.
    Todays 24" 1080p might be better though, I dunno.

NCC1701D likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes. But I would go from my 240Hz to 480Hz. 360Hz is welcome, but not sufficient upgrade on its own to warrant expected price tag.
    I used to use XL2420T with firmware mod to XL2420Z. Out of the box, worst color management I have ever seen built into monitor. I had to modify firmware to nullify color shift in all gaming profiles. And then I enabled classical color management for color profiles.
    At that point screen became watchable without anger. I'll never understand how engineers in BenQ can have bad eyes and let such firmware out of lab.

I'll never buy another BenQ as long as there are other brands doing screens I like.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  20. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Maybe the esports market is bigger than I think. My pro gamer years are well behind me. Not that I ever had them to begin with, but I can't see a normal gamer opting for such a small screen considering the high price these are probably going to launch at. If you could get a 27 or 32 incher with 144Hz for the same price or lower, that's what the majority would probably buy. At least we're not still stuck on 60Hz monitors like the old days. I'm on board with technology advancing regardless.