Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultra-curved 49-inch 'dual QHD' gaming monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Smokey25 and warlord like this.
  2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    "but expect something 1000~1500 USD."

Ain't gonna happen except for top G9 ultrawide which is special. G7 monitors should be priced 500 and 750 according to their size and specs.

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
  4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Man this screen looks fantastic!!! Unfortunetely i like my kidneys so no Odyssey for me :(...

5. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Love the design,looks like it came straight out of a Sci Fi movie.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't know about that curve. I like that the curve on my Acer X34P is barely noticeable. I feel like this would be so distracting

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This looks disgusting, but I just hate curved panels in general, makes no sense to me.

Frazer likes this.
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    $1000-1500 for such a resolution at such refresh rate ? HDR 1000 nits too ? You're dreaming.

Easily a $2000-2500 display.

9. Frazer

Frazer Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 OC
    Priorities at Samsung:

HIGH: make a useless and overpriced IronMan-style monitor
    MEDIUM: make a monitor with no backlight bleed / flickering / flaws
    LOW: make a panel with no dead pixels

:rolleyes:

Silva likes this.
  10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm not in the know in any way here but as it's a VA panel it's likely the refresh rate is a paper spec anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about the price, just saying there are reasons why it'd make sense.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Presumably it's FALD.. how many zones? The problem with all these HDR1000 monitors is that the contrast isn't anywhere near high enough. You either get blooming due to lack of zone density or high contrast scenes end up with washed out blacks.

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    okey

now give me OLED

13. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    isn't that resolution a problem in gaming?
    Looks stunning, but it would really be sad to game on that beauty with huge black bars on the sides.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Get a hint. It replaces the 1500€ 120hz crg90, all specs are the same except 240hz. If they drop price, the new G9 will cost again around 1500€. Don't be so anxious without some research. ;)

15. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This looks like a very nice monitor to me. I use two at work that are 2560x1440 so this would be equivalent to those with no bezels between them. I think it would be pretty cool. For me, that is the perfect resolution. Standard text is the right size and I can see a lot of it. Mine are 27-inch units and I find the pixel density to be just right for up-close viewing which for me is a shallow desk-depth away.

16. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    This is an epic monitor indeed, but it's going to be pricey as heck. It is just for the uber enthusiasts with an RTX 2080 Ti, since no modern game will run very good with anything below that. I'm wondering why LG doesn't produce OLED-monitors similiar to this or even a regural 1440p 27" monitors without the curve. That kind of monitor would rock the market even for 600 € I'm quite sure. Nifty looks are cool and all that and more HDR monitors are always welcome, but we really need that OLED response time plus contrast, which is a more appealing combo even without proper HDR. I'm currently using an IPS panel, but I do appreciate the OLED blacks very much indeed. I guess if LG ever makes a 43" OLED television you would find quite many with that as a monitor.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'd buy it if they could give me a 5 year guarantee that I wouldn't see burn-in.

As a TV I def watch enough mixed content for it not to be a problem but on my computer I can sit in documents or on my desktop for hours. I love my LG C7 but idk if I'd trust it as a monitor.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    When this drops in OLED/micro LED this guy is upgrading!!!

For sure. Never can accept so much back light bleed in newer monitors these days. Like they took a huge step back to either stretch the screen or to curve it. Or both, but back light bleed is simply abysmal today!

19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Years and years of OLED HERE and zero burn in. You seriously have to be an idiot to burn it in.

Watch Vincent teoh on YouTube. HDTV Tech. Professional color calibrator and he will walk you through his six month OLED burn in torture test using real-world scenarios!

Can't stand the talk of burn in.... Been there for years guys. Did it on cathod ray tubes for goodness sakes. Anyone complaining about the arcade cabinets back in the days!?!?

Obviously people will come up with whatever reasoning to convince oneself, but please make sure it's been researched.

Burn in ideas didn't just happen because of OLED coming about.

Move the document around the screen once in a while..... Like one should get up and move around every so often to keep comfortable and or not to stroke out!!

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I don't care. There are already reports of people with newer OLED laptops with burn in. In my research for my own LG C7 I've come across multiple people with LG OLED TVs experiencing burn-in. I have multiple Samsung OLED panel phones where the notification bar and android buttons are burned in.

If burn in is solved then it shouldn't be a problem for OLED manufacturers to give a 5 year warranty for it. But they don't. In fact LG's warranty doesn't even cover it - least it doesn't on my C7. So this idea that it's "solved" or doesn't happen is bullshit.

On a TV with mixed content it's rarer - unless you spend a good deal of time watching CNN you'll never have a problem but on a desktop with static elements on the screen it's not going to be as rare. They can mitigate it with software only so much. It has nothing to do with word documents - even HUD elements, start menu with icons on it, etc. I don't want to have to change my computing habits to adopt a new technology. Just fix the burn in and warranty it. Done.