Six new games Announced with NVIDIA RTX Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    None of these games show any kind of major ray tracing advantage. F.I.S.T. looks like your average good looking 2.5d action game. Bright Memory is more shiny objects for the sake of more shiny objects. I've never ever seen eyes reflect light that well not once in my life. Outside of the shiny objects and vaseline induced world an average looking game. Textures look rough in RoE and BM ... Computer hardware is simply not ready for full fledged ray tracing. Not powerful enough. Everything i've seen so far don't look lot better than traditional shaders outside of the "everything is shiny" gimmick. Ray tracing is the future but the current half-assed implementation really is not.

fry178 likes this.
  2. Olfert Hansen

Olfert Hansen Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    You can bet that if Nvidia held a contest next year, and then you won and got the following choices for a price:
    1. 3080 GTX TI (20% more overall performance)
    2. 3080 RTX TI (20% reserved for raytracing)

Then I think 5% would pick option #2

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From description of each "game", I do not see them as very successful.

4 generic shooters where 2 are battle royale. 1 Having Anime-Styled rendering (Great fit for RTX).
    1 rehash of Ninja Rabbit where generic GI could do the job due to very few elements on screen.
    And one Not so successful episodic game which is about to deliver 2nd attempt while trying to catch eye.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Olfert Hansen
    Cant talk about ppl here, but every person i know that purchased a 2080ti,
    did so partially because of rtx.

5. Lcc

Lcc Guest

GPU:
    RIVA TNT 2 32mb
    The only game I've heard is Minecraft, what a waste...

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I bought an EVGA 2070 Super 'Gaming Black' because it was available, and didn't have the RGB disco-tech thing going on to blind me out, and because my RX 480 8gb card was murdered when the local substation blew up 6 months ago (and has been slowly dying and becoming less stable ever since).
    But playing through RTX Quake II is sure fun! I had a blast and it looks great, too. Reminded me of how fun games were in the 90's yet when I was a teenager.
    I will totally and entirely enjoy any retro-games infused with RT tech, even if they're 20$ a piece. Gladly, no questions asked.
    I don't need a college course to understand them, I can memorize the inputs within the first map or so, and they don't hold your hand in the mean-time.
    No, really, Call of Doodey and Cattlefield can kiss my hide, I like the old games when I am not creating game-worlds for BeamNG.Drive driving simulator.

Why a ray tracing card? Well it was as high as I could go before diminishing returns really kicks in, and yes while it was a chunk of change, I don't want to have to update the PC for a number of years yet, so this fit the bill. Even a 1650 super may have been an upgrade from an RX 480, but with only 4gb of VRAM, it fell short of what I needed, and I didn't want to spend money on another card only to 'barely' have an upgrade.
    Why not AMD?
    Nvidia has nice texture tools and other odds and ends put out for developers of games, which I can make good use of here. They also have the ray tracing support as mentioned (obviously!) so I can work with stuff in substance designer and render in real-time. Also, the folks I produce content for by large run Nvidia stuff, so it pays to use the same thing to prevent odd driver glitches from coming up.

So, I'd entirely be thrilled if we had more stuff like quake II RTX, and would buy it on release day.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Lcc
    Why? Cause your not playing it?
    Lol.
    What if all the games on this planet would have rtx, but your not playing any of them,
    would it still be a waste?

I dont play it cause my 8 bit days are behind me,
    but after i saw it with rtx it got me interested.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That might actually look pretty nice deftly applied.

9. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    It is not bad how it is but with improved graphics just master piece.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Had the 2080ti been released at the time the 1080ti was available (instead of 1080ti) you would've bought it, even with the knowledge that RTX games wouldn't arrive for a while. In-fact, back then, having zero RTX games would've been a positive as there wouldn't have been the backlash we're seeing now.

However, it's clearly the pricing that's been driving the backlash. Had the 2080ti released as a £700 card I think it would've been much more acceptable.

fry178 likes this.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    This. I would buy it myself, instead rad7. But the way it went, looot of overprice with features that are gimmick(dlss) or FPS brake(RTX) I just went AMD, despite fact I know it was not same league(well, it is somehow in dx12/Vulkan) as 2080Ti. Difference in price is so huge, u have to pay double to get +20-30% more...

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Reminds me of the time when Ageia PhysX cards were a thing and they had like 2 games at launch and around 10 games in total before Nvidia brought them and then did nothing with it for years and then it got shoved into games and broke performance.

Undying likes this.
  13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Micraft looked amazing with RTX. At the moment, it lends itself well to RTX. I guess they can make use all the features of RTX and not worry too much about the fps hit - Quake 2 RTX is a decent tech demo but you need top end hardware for a very good framerate.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Most "whine" about the 20xx prices, because they won't and/or cant pay for it.
    No one ever said "i wont spend 2k on this, because its overpriced/bad value", while having +200K in their savings account.

No one here would most likely get the 2080ti, even if they have the change, incl me.
    but that doesnt mean i will make it sour for the ppl that buy one.

and as long as there are enough ppl buying it (for whatever reason), companies like Nv will keep doing it.
    And who can blame them, companies are here to make money, and not as a HW charity.

decide with your wallet.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think it can be an appealing product for those coming from a lesser GPU like a 1070 or below. There's a fairly large contingent of 1080 Ti owners who believe the raw performance increase of ~20-25% is just not worth ~$1200.
    I would be one of those. I can afford it, it just seems like a bad value relative to performance. The difference from upgrading from a 980 Ti to a 1080 Ti.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Lets be honest here, the people who say Products are too expensive now are the ignorant ones who also believe wages of stagnated conservative mismanaged countries are fine where they are, they have no concept of the value of a dollar until their desired commodity is priced out of reach - and most refuse to make the connection.

"Oh, that company's raising prices, they must be greedy" no Jim, the company is adjusting to increased prices on materials and the value of currency depreciating.

Nvidia is also one of few companies that enforce a livable minimum wage for their lowest paid staff, as well as any they contract for events.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Bla bla...
    I know things get more expensive over time. Its called inflation.
    And keep thinking u r ubermench and we are peasants that cannot afford it.
    I can afford it, just refuse to buy it at the price.
    I just bought LG OLED TV, because it has more value for me than this. Never regret this.
    Gains in games are just too narrow to pay such sum of money. Damn rad 5700xt is going 400$ while we have 2080ti at 1200$ . Performance 5700xt is like 30% less than Ti. In dx12 or Vulcan games even less.
    RTX? Have some feats, that may be eye candy(some not really) while reducing fps by 30%, in which point u again have 5700xt performance region...

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @GREGIX
    Gains in games are just too narrow to pay such sum of money

and? its the same with everything else on this planet.
    there are ppl buying +100K cars/double digit houses/planes/ships, not one of those is thinking about value over a product of the same type that goes for 2-10 times less.
    just because you dont see the value, doesnt mean thats the case for everyone else on the planet,
    nor does mean i need to tell ppl NOT to buy a product, just so that the company decides to make the next one cheaper, so we all can buy one.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I agree that the 2080Ti is overpriced for most people but techpowerup's 20+ game summary has the 2080Ti 46% over the 5700XT at QHD, 56% at 4K - the resolutions most people will probably be buying a 2080Ti at.

So i get the argument but for someone with a 4K monitor going for that 2080Ti could easily be worth the price difference. If they had a decent 4K 144hz monitor out I'd probably be with a 2080Ti right now myself.

fry178 and Stormyandcold like this.