AMDs bloatware.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rflair, Dec 23, 2019.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Run "MsiExec.exe /X{284967ee-7da2-4fc6-b14a-361266a50448}" to uninstall the VR crap.
    Kill AMDRSServ.exe and rename it to prevent that service from starting along with other processes it runs, such as the desktop overlay service.
    There's a bunch of scheduled tasks as well, that aren't needed.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Thanks all, I went back to 19.12.1 and it allows custom install, why they would take it out for Adrenalin 2020 is beyond me.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    AMD is making a mistake by removing choice. Hopefully they will in a future driver.

4. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    We'll need a driver slimmer like someone made for nvidia drivers. Anyone have knowledge on modifying the xml and json files in the Config folder of the installer? Could we customize it ourselves that way? Some look like configuration for the scheduled tasks that get created. cccmanifest seems to have the different components, but if you look at AMD WVR, it's listed as InstallByDefault No, but installs no matter what anyways.

OnnA likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah well I don't have much software expertise let alone programming so that's probably a tad optimistic and besides it looks like the slim package was already in the CCC installer from that first post here on this page of this topic though AMD offers no real means for picking one or the other with the normal driver download and most customization options disappeared entirely in Adrenaline 2020 for some reason or another, more I read the more problems I find though it seems to be working just fine for a lot of users too.

The last half years drivers for AMD GPU's have been a bit all over the place even outside of newcomer Navi and everything is a bit weird though I am hoping to see improvements now that Navi12 is a thing and whatever will happen up until Navi20 and RDNA 2 plus on the driver side now that Adrenaline and the feature driver of the year is out and focus can be on bug fixes and reported issues either new or old. :)
    (No lack of things to fix far as it looks like at least.)

OnnA likes this.
  7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    lmao please leave.

Yes, Radeon Lite is very good, but wtf don't recommend installing AMD driver from site?

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  8. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can't direct link to amd drivers

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT

11. Jayson

Jayson Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    What's wrong with the drivers? If you don't want the overlay, then disable it.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hiding the overlay is what it should be called, its loaded into process either way.

AlleyViper likes this.
  13. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    The problem is that overlay is always working unlike with 2019's without relive, by "disabling" you're just disabling the alt+r shortcut. If you press a combination like the ones for recording video (even if recording is disabled on the settings), the overlay will still pop and tell you to enable recording.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Either amd vanguard either site they are all beta and alpha. Microsoft is the absolute authority in terms of barebone usability. Either way the thread was called about bloatware. Microsoft package from Microsoft update and ms store have zero bloatware.

People here should aquire some knowledge and respect. When I had ati rage you were playing ps1 kid. You should try leaving the thread clean.

15. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I've been trying to figure out how to remove some of the bloat. I'm not sure there's much that can be done to modify the installer besides changing some xml files to disable some scheduled tasks. There's some things that can be done after the installation though. I've been putting them together in a script if anyone wants to try it out. It should remove most of the processes besides the AMD External Events Service Module NT service and the RadeonSoftware process, like how things were with the 2019 drivers.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/Radeon...b/master/RadeonSoftwarePostInstallDebloat.ps1

mirh, silentus, OnnA and 1 other person like this.

16. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    AMD is suggesting everyone to use their main driver which have literally EVERYTHING. If a user want bare bone driver, he can use the Lite one, or the MS one (which isn't recommended). The load of the "bloat" is actually minimal, and you won't really feel it even on Dual Core systems, so what are we talking about ? You lose 0.1 FPS or less by this....

I was talking about you NOT recommending using the (latest) recommended drivers, which is the worst bllshiet ever heard. Why do you think they make drivers, and we don't stick to the old Crimson one anymore ? Or why nVidia still released drivers ?

17. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    CCCSlim doesn't seem to install anything useful, while cnext64/ccc-next64 does install the new radeon settings. I'm not seeing how this is any better or different.

Another option looks to be removing packages entries from Config\InstallManifest.json and Bin64\cccmanifest_64.json. That allows you to use the main installer but have it not install certain items.