Epic vs Steam sale

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Martigen, Dec 20, 2019.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    but that's not about the rules of competition my friend. i don't expect Epic to grow by doing things exactly the way Steam used
    to do. its about a simple thing of being able to buy a product ( a game ) made by company A\B\C on all platforms. how is this
    good\better for customers from economic point of view ( not an individual ) ? if we are talking about the delta that individuals
    will save by buying it cheaper on EGS -> that's not a good explanation. the more global\macro point of view is - Steam is blocked*
    for those games ( for a year or so ) because Epic are giving incentive for developers. i don't blame the developers, i just see the whole
    picture.. not the 5$ il save for one game.

i want the freedom to pay premium ( on Steam for example ) or to pay less on other launchers, like Epic. those tactics hurt me
    as a costumer since i can't play those games, unless il pirate them.

in most cases, people will just want to pay less for the same product ( a game ). and its logical thinking.

but what if i prefer the more expensive option ? simple as that. i wanna pay more and enjoy my choice
    of a library without someone telling me where to buy.

the answer: wait a year. or pirate it. its THIS simple.

Kolt likes this.
  2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    That's an interesting idea you have about competition. Because games aren't interchangeable products, therefore making one title exclusive gives Epic a monopoly on it. So where is the competition ? Even keys for Steam are sold by official resellers (and often for cheaper), but not EGS exclusives.

Anyway, this is the same topic that has been discussed in like 50 pages. The point is that if Epic has come with their own shop that has no features but takes smaller cut and has better prices, they would have been well received. Hell, their winter sale with which this topic have started is proof of that. But they didn't want to wait for their shop to grow, so they subsidize it with exclusive deals. Add to that the smug comments of the Tim Sweeney and you can easily see why a lot of people boycott them.

Kolt likes this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No, pirating is never an option. Just because a product is exclusively sold in a store that you don't like doesn't give you the right to steal it. Playing games is a privilege, not a right - you do not have an inherent rights to these games and stealing them makes you worse than Epic could ever be (Sweeney may be many things but at least he isn't a thief). The only valid options are to wait a year or not buy it at all.

Also, by pirating, you justify the existence of DRM. Pirating will encourage game developers to force even stricter DRM controls on their products, which means you will be doing a disservice to every legitimate PC gamer.

Archvile82 likes this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    drm propaganda alive and well i see in the year2020.

CORPORATIONS tell you that piracy is the bane of profits and will make games go away, while record profits go into their pockets and piracy has not changed a bit.

even while a whole series of denuvo protected games are day one hacked, they still sell those games just fine.

but yes google and other want to take all the ownership of those games out of your hands and with things like stadia they tried. and they will say piracy is the reason while doing it.

good sheepie.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Does anyone else use Waterfox? Are you able to add stuff to the cart in the Epic store? Each day I go to collect the free game I have to switch browser, very annoying!

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What's wrong with that? Like with any product, you can buy it online and see it on sale the next day. You just return it and buy it cheaper.

7. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i never pirate ;/ its for the sake of the argument. i still didn't play Control, BL3, The Outer Worlds. waiting for Steam release, have no other way.

Kolt likes this.
  8. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I've given up on reading every single post written over the last five pages, but some of your posts grabbed my attention.

Epic wants your business, Valve wants your business. Epic tries to get your business by offering free games, exclusive games and hefty discounts. Valve tries to get your business in a million other ways. You can buy at both, you can buy at either, it's entirely your choice. They're competing, and you are not robbed of the games you want to play.

The arbitrary rules you're making up for yourself, keep you from the games you play. I sympathize with the rule of "I want to use the one launcher I prefer", because I feel the same way, but I think we can all agree that very few companies give a crap about our own personal preference when it comes to the launcher(s) we are willing to use. There are plenty of factors that influence which store to launch a game on, but "our users prefer Steam" doesn't always rank highly among those factors.

metagamer and coc like this.
  9. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    that's not different than other posts my friend. the same answer im given in a different patterns :
    don't use one launcher. developers don't give a crap about your choice and so on.
    it does not change the fact that those tactics are plain simple, hurtful to costumers such as myself.

im not installing EGS even if they will hand me 300 games for free. its just not something i believe in ( their tactics ).
    not everyone would agree with the way i see things, that's alright, that's life. Epic wants my business ? go for cheaper prices,
    not exclusivity to your own launcher. go for more and better sales. go for a lite\safe\friendly UI launcher.

i can think about a lot of things Epic could do to make me install and buy crap from their own store. exclusivity
    for a year will never be among them.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't think it's necessarily a single launcher that people want. Rather, I think people just want a unified way to manage and run their games - so something like GOG GALAXY 2.0. I seriously doubt people only want to buy their games at a single store, especially with the mediocre sales that Steam has nowadays (this is the primary reason why my Steam purchases have slowed to a trickle). Epic's current sales look pretty good by comparison (just picked up Control for about half off). As the failure of J.C.Penny showed, people love a good sale - doesn't matter how good the store is, people won't come if the sales suck.

I think the ideal situation would be to have multiple stores to buy games from along with a unified launcher - or no launcher at all (just use desktop links or Windows menus like the old days). I look at launchers like I look at the government - I just want them to get out of the way so I can play my game. ;)

11. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I'm with you there for the most part. I haven't pirated a single game in probably over a decade now. I've never felt so compelled to until Epic came into the play though, however I still haven't and am personally holding out for a Steam release anyways as I can wait. That being said, if there is a game that I really really want and it is 100% exclusive on the Epic Games Store permanently... well then I may have to consider pirating it and I won't really feel bad at all about it. It's not like I'm unwilling to give the developer money, it's just that I won't do business with Epic directly or contribute to their cause. Luckily there hasn't been a single game on EGS that I feel like I have to play or that isn't coming to Steam/GoG eventually. Even if it is 100% exclusive the chance of me caring that much about a single video game release is probably not enough to go after a torrent. My backlog is full of games ready to be played instead anyways.

This is just me though. I'm sure that this direction will lead to a rise in piracy for those who aren't willing to wait or have a backlog and don't want to touch the EGS.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Hey lads, Steep is free on EGS go grab it.

About the whole Steam vs EGS. Steam is by far the better platform right now. EGS won the winter sale battle, by far.

£10 vouchers on every purchase
    Free games
    Sale games at better prices than anywhere else.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't think you can really say one won anything over another.
    You can if you are speaking for personal opinion, but... you have to take into account that not everyone feels the same way.

Free games mean nothing if the games that are free are not worth getting.
    Same with sale prices and vouchers, when there's nothing worth buying on the platform... why should I care about discounts?

I bought two games on Steam. Only two.
    And I would personally say... the only place that had some good sales, was GoG.

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  15. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    It's interesting, but also feels incomplete. I don't get this bit in particular where RDR2 is said to have sold four million copies on PC in total, but Epic and Steam only account for half a million each. Where'd the other three million copies sold come from then?

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Rockstar Launcher?

cerebus23 and KissSh0t like this.
  17. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Seems hard to believe that Rockstar's store would outsell Epic and Steam 3:1 each...

18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Not really? Why should i buy the game at Epic with one extra store behind!? Why should i want the need to start Epic first and then it launches RS anyway!? And you think most people who just wanted to play the game are waiting for 1 month until it gets to steam, for what..only to have it at Steam!? Not everyone is thinking this way..
    I had the choice between Epic Version and RS Version and it wasnt hard, so....still hard to believe!?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Kolt, Backstabak and fantaskarsef like this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Certainly this. Everybody's talking about EA's return to Steam, and I still bought Fallen Order on Origin, since you need to run it still (at least on first launch). I was kind of upset about this when I bought Heroes of Might and Magic 5 back in the day, on steam, but it required to run uplay each time you start it on Steam. Since then, I did not see why I should buy a game on steam again that requires another launcher as well, if that other launcher has a store front... they got my data anyway since you need accounts for that too.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Agreed for the most part, although with Fallen Order I just want to point out that if you buy it on Steam you also unlock it on Origin.. (did for me at least) so you technically get two copies. Considering that, it's not a bad idea to buy it on Steam. You can then just launch it on Origin if you want to.

I have it on Steam, and when I launch it through Steam it quickly launches an Origin task in the background but it does not fully launch Origin.. or at least it closes it out completely when I'm done playing it. The game DOES take a while to even start up though because of this. That is one definite drawback, although with Origin I never have it running in the background anyways so it would still take a second for Origin to load before I could play.

fantaskarsef likes this.