Graphics cards could become even more expensive in 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No one is nagging, the 1080 Ti can't pull off high frame rate game play in modern games. Period. I wasn't the one butting in insisting that it's some magic that's good for all eternity. So what are you on about? FreeSync holding things together doesn't change much, it just makes a low frame rate experience what it should be instead of letting additional issues make it worse than what it is.

And how do you want me to respond to someone posting BS? Ignore it forever? I can't just call someone a procreating retard making crap up like I would say in real life, no, the internet has become pussified. Hiding behind an internet persona has made idiots even dumber. So I'll just mock them in kind. Or were you referring to that post that was to you? That wasn't a shitpost.

Edit: Interesting new language filter.

This pussy attitude of "that guy mentioned something that could somehow be interpreted as negative therefore we must attack it" needs to burn in hell. This a tech forum... for discussing tech. I'm discussing my experience and talking about upcoming stuff, if you think that's nagging that's on you.

I'm so tired of seeing this stupidity about not being allowed to ever mention anything that's wrong, and it's not just tech forums. It's whiny shitters everywhere, someone could sell them a car that'll explode after 30 days and if anyone complains they'll still defend it. Guess what if something is fantastic there is only so much that can be discussed about that, and not much of it needs to. If there is something wrong, well then there is a lot more to discuss isn't there?

And to reiterate, that's not even what it was. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Sometimes I imagine this cage match where members with beefs fight it out, its glorious.

Keep the name calling in check, pretty please.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Would certainly help at least. AMD has been slacking in the high end GPU segment for years now.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Wasn't at him, buddeh. I think there's nothing left to discuss about it anyway.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I wonder what the margins are on the navi gpus.
    The margins on Turing are so good (to my knowledge) they can easily soak any extra vram cost.

6. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    Where does that knowledge come from?
    The last and only information I could gather about that was from about 2 months after launch.
    A few vendors complained in private to Tech Jesus (No kidding... the forum converts his channel name to "Disney"... why?!) that they only had about a 5% margin and setting prices to MSRP would be impossible without making negative income.

Surely that situation improved over the past year, no doubt. But "margins that are so good!" would be a surprise.
    Shitty margins don't magically turn into amazing money makers, just because a year passes by and prices drop by a few %.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    AIB profit margin is bad, still probably bad. After they pay NVidia for the GPU die it's hard to make money on just MSRP. That's what Steve was talking about.
    NVidia is not an AIB, and that news was suggesting that NVidia was overcharging AIBs. Maybe so they can sell more of their own GPUs (compounded with the fact that they put a real cooler on the 20 series) (also kinda conspiratorial).

It's no secret that NVidia's profit margin is great for their die, has been great since pascal. Just google something like "NVidia operating margin".
    If GDDR6 went up in price NVidia could easily keep MSRP the same and soak the cost away from AIB's. You can suggest that NVidia would refuse to do that and make AIB's increase prices, but that reflects badly on NVidia to the public, not the AIBs. It's also an easy way to make AMD suffer more from NVidia's perspective, if AMD is forced to keep MSRP they take a hit on margins they (might) really need.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    3 years, 7 months on my GTX1070. Gonna hit 4 years with ease. I don't think I can hold out for 5 though but if the prices suck....

9. I guess I'm glad I turned over my 2070 super for a 2080 ti during the sales pre 2020 at bestbuy cause reading this honestly puts a knot in my stomach. We already have fake inflation going on; what's in effect tantamount to price-gouging. These income in-equal product costs are way out of control. Someone says "oh but you have a 2080 ti why would you say that" Why the hell not? It's true. Eventually things will just push above wage lines till people will have to take out loans to afford things within current gen unless something else happens. That or markets adjust accordingly, people's average wages rise. These costs are out of control. I say this because what I just paid at the store for a video card the other day was what I paid for my first car when I was 15.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2020
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    All of that text, and you completely failed to answer my question....

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I suspect they won't change much at all, the reduced dimensions of the dies will be offset by the increased complexity in masking.

12. Possibly because you failed to read the answer to your question?? That and you do tend to be an egotistical asshole...