Stuttering on all games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Diogo Glória, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    Hi,

Yes i did try with fresync disabled and i always had fast sync enabled on NVIDIA panel. And same behavior.
    Tomb raider graph just shows that when the stutter happens the CPU takes longer to send frame to GPU. If my interpretation is right, CPU should always prepare frame first then send it to CPU. In the graph i can see that CPU took 10 miliseconds to prepare a frame and GPU displayed it in 10 miliseconds. The rest of the graph shows that CPU is taking only 3 miliseconds to prepare the frames and GPU takes longer to display them . that part runs really smooth.

2. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    Hi
    My monitor fully supports 144hz, i did try with HDMI but no change :/

3. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    It could be the problem. I did OC the CPU. Got 5.0 on 1.40 and got it stable under intel xtu and aida 64. But same stutter. But had same issues

4. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    This could be a stupid question. But can a nvme and ssd cause delay to processor when loading new Textures? I have 2 spare sata mechanical drives, and i didnt test them to check if havê same issues, i always uses the sata ones with my old GTX 770 and never had any issues

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which device/driver ISR was that? You can post screenshot now. (Note that the method of DPC/ISR monitoring I pointed out gives you the text results which you can post here between {code} tags.)

But can your monitor work at 120Hz? Or 100Hz? If yes then have you tried it? 20Hz of a difference can be huge for frame pace stability.

6. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    try to format and if the problem persist you need new cpu this 4 core cpu is old and in latest games gives stutters even if oced

7. So no one brought up temps. What do temps look like? Kinda sounds like thermal throttling to me.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    From what ive read so far, he seems to be worried the most about random stutter in RoTR benchmark.

Does it happen in other games that you actually play? Like i said that benchmark is not really a indicator of anything..

9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Have you enabled game mode in windows setting? Have you tried disabling xbox and game bar? And have you tried using high performance in windows power settings?

10. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    It's a different beast all together (since i'm still on a sandy bridge cpu), but i know my pc is a stuttery mess if the intel security fixes for spectre and meltdown are active.
    Just as a test try to disable meltdown and spectre prevention with https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm . It does absolute wonders for me, and i know it helps for Hasswell generation cpu's to.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    ur PC is decent. Had similar problems, stutter with no apparent reason. Tried everything and nothing worked(drivers/cleanups etc)
    Only system reinstall helped.
    So, try this first.
    OR just install another os(try win7) on other disk/partition.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My laptop came with 16GB of GSkill DDR4-2400, and I used to have a stuttery mess gaming at 4K@60. I OC'd the RAM to 2666, and it didn't help, plus the RAM didn't like to OC further. Since RAM got cheap again, I invested in some Kingston Hyper-X DDR4-2933 32GB, and my gaming got a lot smoother. Could be the fact that the 16GB modules are double row helps. No matter, point is my consistent microstutters went away.

i7 7700HQ + GTX1070 8GB

pharma likes this.
  13. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Two things - first the expensive fix: Throw money at the problem...
    Friend had this with the same cpu and a 1080 non-ti.
    Bought a 3800x on a B450 board, some good 3200~3600mhz RAM and his issue went away.

Free things to try!

I had a stutter issue that once was solved by down-clocking the core on the GPU by about 50~75mhz via MSI afterburner, but sometimes just forcing a set speed can help, especially if GPU load fluctuates a lot (likely on a quad core with newer games). This often helps more for things like 'DirectX: Device Removed' errors more than random hitching, but the hitching can happen long before that error does, though it's inconsistent.

If you have monitoring apps open, try closing them, and disable any unneccessary Windows start-up software you may use for your hardware.
    Try removing your network device if it's a USB wifi adapter. It may be even a joystick causing this, so start uninstalling things after backing up your OS drive with something like Macrium Reflect (free).
    I've seen all kinds of things cause weird stutters. If it's a consistent stutter, there's often a monitoring program at fault or a hardware driver doing it.
    Make sure none of your power supply voltages are sagging below the required 10% spec, but even 5% out of spec can cause weird bugs.
    GPU VRAM errors (it's ECC memory essentially with a parity bit) if there's enough of them will cause this a lot especially under heavier load.
    I'd RMA the GPU if nothing else works.

If all else fails, start replacing motherboard/cpu/ram/GPU/PSU stuff (whatever you haven't done) until the problem goes away, and either then upgrade or RMA the defective hardware.

Game such as Just Cause 3 (I believe that's the game!) with DENUVO can cause hitching due to the copy protection constantly pinging certain servers, especially when those servers are no-longer active.

TLDR - RMA the GPU if you've tried everything.
    --Cheers & best wishes from 'Murica.

14. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    What kind of temps and cpu usage are seeing? Only time I get stuttering is when my cpu usage goes to 100%.

15. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    Hi all, sorry for not being here for long. I read all posts and apreciaste the help provided. I indeed tried all the fixes mention this post and manage to trace the problem or at least reduce it to almost no stutters at all.
    My problem seems related to gpu temps.
    Let me explain further:

I indeed checked my temps all the time when gaming or benching and all the temps seems fine to me (75ºC) on full gpu usage (heaven benchmark and hwmonitor temps).
    What I did was remove the plastic window on my gpu since I read that can bring down temps like 10ºC.
    After that the stutters went away, and also my frame time seems stable. I believe my gpu is not showing temps accurately or I have a bad thermal paste application. Im not sure yet. Any thoughts on this mod?
    Can afterburner , and Asus gputweak show wrong temps?. Im thinking about get an aftermarket cooler to this gpu, maybe water-cooling. Any ideias? thanks

Also. Happy new year to all

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Plastic window?? The shroud?

17. :cool:

18. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    Only problem is that gpu shows normal temps in all software :S

19. Diogo Glória

Diogo Glória Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 TI FE
    Yes the transparent one attached with 4 bolts. My gpu works fine without it. Seems that it needs a repaste :S

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Repaste... for temps?