Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Per.r

Per.r Member

GPU:
    1080Ti
  2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It is not only RTX cards or Nvidia IMO, but there are also a lot of variables when you start mixing and matching HW. There can also be many causes for stuttering which a lot of times is the game itself, many are ported over to PC.
    This thread has a lot of references to stand by memory fix and those app's do fix the issue if that is the cause.

PS: I don't seem to be getting the standby stuttering anymore in the last few windows updates, but I am not 100% sure it's fixed, cause I had a very mild case of it, hard to trigger.

3. Per.r

Per.r Member

GPU:
    1080Ti
    but i have no that issue..i measure it with latencymon for 30 mins a max dpc was 125us
    1080ti / 441.08
    win 10 1903

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Great, then your good to go but DPC latency doesn't have anything to do with memory standby issue AFAIK.

5. Hemisfear

Hemisfear Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    It doesn't

Regarding the NV driver latency threads over at NV reddit:
    They even start games with latencymon running in the background and then go like "uuuhh, my latency is so high..."

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The original poster with his ryzen system has a hardware defect which im sure originates from the kingston ssd he is using (there is a long history of issues with that drive hanging and stuttering the system)

everyone else yes, was using it wrong

Hemisfear likes this.
  7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Just curious, what's the procedure for testing Latencymon, just running in the background at the desktop with nothing much running?

Edit:
    https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_faq

"Should I run my audio software while LatencyMon is testing my system ?
    In general, no. In particular, the interrupt to process latency that the software measures already simulates the workings of an entire audio process. You should run most tests without running any other software in the background. Running your audio software together with LatencyMon only makes sense if you wish to measure hard pagefaults of the audio process. "

:)

8. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
  9. Wycleff1971

Wycleff1971 Member

GPU:
    Intel Core i5
    One little question ->

EmptyStandbyList was used before 1607 and after 1607 -> FreeStandbyMemory.bat by AveYo / Purge Memory Cache Service by @mbk1969 / Intelligent Standy List cleaner is recommended ?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you have stutters then you can try any of these tools in hope that this stuttering is caused by standby list issue. If stuttering is not eliminated by the tool, then you can remove the tool from disk.

11. ICrewella

ICrewella Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4060
    Hi, pls help me I'm having trouble with all the games. Stutter and microstutter. I've tried ISCL,MSI mode. PLS help me
    System:
    • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    • i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
    • WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 64 MB
    • G.Skill 8x2 G.Skill 16 GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz
    • MSI Z-170A Pro
    • Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB
    • Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120
    • 144 Hz screen
    • Corsair VS650 Power
    CPU max temp 60
    GPU max temp 64

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    See if running an FPS cap helps, What I do is run MSI AB, set graphs for FPS (framerate) and play game uncapped, then look at framerate and pick an FPS cap equal to like 90% of lowest value, so you cap on that value which should give pretty flat framerate.
    See if that helps, the side effect is also lower CPU temps, lower GPU usage (this may hurt in some extreme cases).
    Also, give some examples of games as some games are just poor at optimization.

13. ICrewella

ICrewella Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4060
    Problem in progress.
    Game: Fortnite,PUBG,LOL and Star wars jedi fallen order

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Could be many things. Corrupted Windows install, broken drivers, background applications such as AV eating your resources, HDD may be too slow for some of those game, try them on an SSD and see if they still stutter. Bigger, newe games should be on your SSD, if SP, play them a lot, then unistall and install another and so forth. Fortnite even runs on a potato, so no idea why that game would even stutter.

Lock framerates with RivaTuner to 75-80-100 and see if there is any improvement, if your GPU has overclock, tone it down a bit.

15. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Highly depends on the game. Like Devil May cry's latest release was about the best experience i ever had. All maxed out and i have not had a single stutter or frame dip below 60fps,it was bliss. But then i play Final Fantasy XV,unoptimized piece of ** espec after the last patch,and i spend a good chunk of time trying to get rid of stutters and framedrops without much succes.

warlord likes this.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Could you please tell me your Windows version, your CPU and GPU drivers version? Also, do yo use the Standby Memory fix? Thanks!

17. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Well back when i played it was right after release,so in march 2019 or so. I was on different chipset/gpu drivers etc as i currently use. And i believe i was still on Win 1803 ? Im not making use of the Standby memory fix. I am however using TimerTool since aslong as i can remember to set the timer resolution at 0.5ms which decreases latency by a good chunk when you have DPCLat open and set the timer you can see the difference happen instantly.

https://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Smough likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Hmmm, ok. Thanks a lot for the input! Happy gaming.

19. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Forgot to add,about stutter issues or crashes Nvidia users can try enabling MSIX for their GPU's with msi_util_v2 ( Message-Signaled Interrupts Utility v2.0 ).

You can download it here https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/MSI-utility/releases

Information here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/enabling-msix-on-nvidia-gpus.18842330/

"Apparently AMD does this by default already on their consumer gpu's maybe some here who owns an AMD card can confirm.

Nvidia cards support MSIX but I think for market segregation Nvidia only enable it by default on quadro cards.

So legacy IRQ's aka line interrupts, have lower performance and also more prone to issues related to irq sharing."

How to use https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...rror-when-using-multiple-gpus-on-motherboards

"Simply fire it up (with admin rights), it will list all hardware in your system and the irq's assigned. If its a positive irq number then its using legacy aka line interrupts, and you should see the MSI box unticked.
    If its using MSI it will show a negative number and should have the MSI box ticked."

Ive seen it's also recommended by checking the msi box for High definition audio controller and usb devices. Also changing the interrupt priority can have a positive effect. It's worth trying out,i'm also using it with no problems since i had irq sharing issues,this solved it. You will need to repeat this process each time you reinstall or update your NVIDIA display drivers,same goes for other drivers you enable it on. Currently i have msi enabled on everything.

Some more information here from mbk1969 who is also active in this thread currently. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ge-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are no legitimate issues caused by irq sharing on APIC motherboards, pcie slots are always on virtual lines now-a-days.

and MSI doesn't alter how Interrupts are processed, just how the system notifies the cpu that an interrupt is signalled.

HandR likes this.