Graphics cards could become even more expensive in 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2019.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a 1080Ti so i´m good for the next couple of years but the current trend of hardware prices increasing every year worries me...

HARDRESET and jbscotchman like this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Don't worry, millions of other people would agree.

Say what?

[​IMG]

3. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Nvidia, as the 'RTX' inspired, eye-watering, bar-raising-shenanigan instigator, need to learn the lesson from the greatly reduced 1080/Ti --> 2080/Ti up-graders, that the holy grail concept of "price-to-performance" needs to be adhered to. Mess that up (again) at your peril - you don't want another upgrade cycle, at this performance point, lost - that is, if you give a damn!! Message to AMD: there's a queue/opportunity waiting for a suitable rDNA2 product...please!!

screwtech02 and jbscotchman like this.
  4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Seems like only politicians are getting cheaper and cheaper, as the time goes by...

carnivore, user1 and sykozis like this.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    GDDR prices aside the entry level GPU is doomed to be merge to CPU anyway. Nvidia has to prepare for a higher standard if they wanna stay relevant.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    All hail to the famous generation of "but can it run crysis?". The problem is, those were the people who lead the gaming community to this dead end. These idiotic memes, ironically forged a generation and destroyed another. Enjoy your uttermost failure. 3,000€ pc will be the new mid ranger. 2020 tends to be the decade of declined sales. Consoles are rising for a reason. No hope.

7. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Maybe is time to Chinese government look into this..

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  8. Keno34

Keno34 Member Guru

GPU:
    R290 1150/1600
    It's simple as that!!!! Don't buy it...
    They gone sell it cheaper...But you gone buy it anyway !!!
    The same people complaining about it buy "DLC" "Skins" "Precommand" "early acces" are the first to Buy it !
    "JUST BOYCOT" those prices....but like allways we gone ear the dumb but classical "i dont give a f*** i've got money ! Why do we have half finished games,because people buy it like this....LMAO why do EA or other will lose time and money by finishing the game,people are dumb enouth to buy it like that ! The entertening industry is in it,people are so dumb,they dont even try to do good art...
    Movies,music,games...lowest quality possible,people gone buy it anyway!
    #Bananaonthewall

Mesab67 likes this.
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I dont believe they will much in normal market, current 2080S are actually cheaper then regular 2080's, same by 2070 and 2060..

10. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    Two issues here:
    1. Consoles do use the same DRAM, so they either also get more expensive, or they have to save costs elsewhere. Neither is good.
    2. Consoles are no replacement for a PC at all. Hell, no matter how much magic the 2020 Consoles will make happen, any highend 2016+ PC will already have more horses.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Meh, no rush for me to upgrade until late 2020 or early 2021.
    I won't mind paying £500 for a PS5. And I'll definitely be buying one. But you can't ignore the fact that some of the console (mainly PS) exclusives look out of this world. And considering that PS5 and the next gen Xbox will use modern hardware, they'll be pushing the envelope.

One thing... Give me proper keyboard and mouse support... I know it won't happen. Shame. I'll still be buying PS5 on release though.

BTW, 2016 PCs won't have anything on next gen consoles. You're kinda deluded in that respect.

12. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    I will be buying both XBOX and PS5 as well, but they won't replace my PC anytime.
    They can't even replace it for gaming, let alone all the other things I am doing with my PC, including work.
    And honestly the games do look nice(ish), if you watch screenshots only. But those fancy sub 20 fps on last years games really made my eyes bleed. Get the same game on PC and enjoy 144p144hz at much better settings.
    Yes it is more expensive (for the hardware anyways), but you get what you pay for, as always in life.

If you factor in game prices my most expensive gaming piece is my Nintento Switch btw. And I am running a 9900K and 2080ti on my desktop. Yet the Switch was more expensive while still having hundreds of games more on the PC.
    Still worth it for the switch, for those amazing couch co-op games when friends are over here for a beer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Rumors put next-gen XBox and PS5 as using "semi-custom" Octo-Core Zen2 CPU and GPU with more active CU's than current Navi cards..... So, how are systems from 2016 going to be faster?

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Don't even speak of such things! :eek:

olymind1, Mesab67 and insp1re2600 like this.
  15. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Though certainly not great news, I nevertheless appreciate this article being posted - thanks Hilbert.

16. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    Because there is no magic in tech.
    If they sell a 400 or 500 dollar Console, it will be pretty close to a 500 or 600 dollar PC due to them eating their own margin to make people buy the thing.
    You get some minor value out of the deal when the consoles launch, but that will be gone a year later, when everyone can just freely buy faster components on Newegg and Amazon, most likely cheaper as well.

If you are after a console to replace a gaming PC, you are in a loosing battle from the get go.
    Games are MUCH more expensive, so the very minor upfront advantage will be eaten up (most likely on day 1, depending on how many games you buy with the new console). Then a PC can do all the other stuff a console can't and (right now) there is nothing a console can do, a PC can't do better.
    You really only buy a console due to exclusive titles nowadays. Why do you think they spend upwards of 2 digit millions per game, just so the developer don't port their game to more platforms?

The good thing is that you stop caring, once you get out of school and get a job to be honest. Yes we are getting screwed over, but some of us are just too lazy to get a HDMI cable from the PC to the living room, so a console is the easier option (while sacrificing plenty of quality, but meh).

To get back to the topic tho:
    It is kind of funny how HBM was the bad move due to pricing. They all claimed GDDR6 was so much cheaper. Now I wonder if a company going HBM as an outlier, while all the others fight over each and every stick of GDDR6, would see a performance AND price win,... How are the current prices for these modules for larger corps?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You are confusing people for people. They are not the same.
    When you talk Console people, and then you compare pricing to DIY-PC-Builders, you talk about two very different groups with minimal overlap.
    Most people who would buy console would buy prebuilt PC too.

I'll tell you what you can do with $600 PC after 2 years. You can stick it... where Sun does not shine.
    Hell, it will not be very good upon purchase for modern gaming.
    But that console you talk about here has life cycle of 5~6 years. And in that time, games will be targeting its hardware.

More expensive games? Sure, but that's how it works. Surely not so bad in comparison to slowly upgrading that aging $600 PC every 2 years.
    - - - -
    But serious questions here:
    - What is regular price of PC case you use in systems you build?
    - What is regular price of cooling (include fans too) you use in systems you build?

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was hoping GPU's would be dropping in price, not going up... Top end is already insanely priced.... might just have to become a retro gamer, or 5 year gamer xD

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sad state of gaming when midrange gpus cost 400$.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you mean the ones who sell Fermi GTX 1060's?