The PC Game That Blew Your Mind

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Size_Mick, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I've seen a few of you mention STALKER and yes, escpecially Shadow of Chernobyl for me, that game had an atmosphere that was unique and could only have come from a post-soviet-block country. Depressing, terrifying, alien, compelling. It's not a WOW game for me because it didn't really break new ground technically, but it has a special place in my heart for sure.

Other games people have mentioned I've played, but wasn't wowed memorably. Doom 3 seemed like it would be a wow game at first, but they demo'd it when the Geforce 3 was getting ready for release and then took 2 more years or something to release it, by which time people had already hacked stencil shadows into Quake. I found the game itself to be rather boring, though someone made the 10 levels of the shareware version of original DOOM for it and that was pretty awesome. HL2 is another example: Should've been a wow game but: previewed too early, source-code debacle, arrived a year later than planned. By that time it was too late. The original HL1 might have been a wow game for me but I'd already seen Unreal and etc. so it didn't impress me technically, though I agree that it totally changed the way story telling was approached in video games and is a classic.

2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    The first game I ever saw running 3DFX Glide was at a computer store running a demo of Quake II and it blew my mind so hard. Apparently it left an impression on my dad and he bought a Voodoo II and then I saw Jedi Outcast with glide and I had the same reaction. When I got my Voodoo Banshee, I started playing Unreal and it also blew my mind with all the reflections, how smooth it was, the frame rate was awesome, etc. I think Diablo was the first game I was truly obsessed with, that and the original Warcraft and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Those were good times.

3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Yeah the Voodoo 1 blew my mind for sure, but not any specific game for it because the first things I saw on it were tech demos or screensavers. The first games I used it for were GLQuake and a few other forgettable games (Tomb Raider, Swiv3d, EF2000, Return Fire 2, some others). Previously I'd tried the Matrox Mystique which totally sucked at 3D (though it was a great 2D card).

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Unreal that game to this day still blows me away on how it looks, it is dated by this point but back then was ahead of the curve. And if you bother to put HD textures in to the game even to this day is still blows me away.

Deus Ex was another one of those games but for other reason not so much graphics even though revision bring new life to that game. It was the game made me say, I dont hate all First person view games, but I think that had lot to do with augmentations theme and mixture of RPG elements. If it wasn't for Deus Ex I would give hard pass to Cyberpunk 2077 simply cause its First person view game, people raved about Dishonored games I hated them cause they were First person games

DerSchniffles and Size_Mick like this.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    For me it has to be Star Wars Galaxies, one of the first MMORPG, before World of warcraft.
    A living Star Wars universe in which i could create my character, a bounty hunter, a weapon mod craftman, armorsmith...
    Explore the map for ressources, place large extraction machin to collect. Have my own house/shop on the map and sell my goods there..!
    (The game in which i picked the name xenthor - must have been 12-14 y.o by then)

cerebus23 and Size_Mick like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Morrowind
    Witcher 1

Recent games doesn't really have strong grip on me, due to being targeted at consoles and literally telling me what to do next.
    Skyrim would be great game if it were not designed for retards.

I'd like to add Dota2, but that game blew my mind in a bad way.

Witcher29 and Size_Mick like this.
  7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    cerebus23 and XenthorX like this.
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Followed this a while back but i've moved on since then ^^.
    I'm not nostalgic of this game, just had a blast with it at this point in time.

I played Star Wars Galaxies from day one, and everyone was so excited it was a unique amazing experience, especially in those early days.

That was before the dark time, before World of Warcraft, (and the combat update, shhh).

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Dark Forces 2
    X wing Alliance
    Half Life
    Operation Flashpoint
    Hidden and Dangerous 2
    Chaser
    Far Cry
    Stalker

Size_Mick and Grimbarian like this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

funny just grabbed XWA other day for 2 bucks so i could try this mod. never played any of the sim sw games all the dark froces jedi academy but the x and tie fighter stuff skipped cant recall why though.

DocStrangelove and Size_Mick like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have that someplace on disc and that make me want to find it

Size_Mick and cerebus23 like this.
  12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    From a game design perspective, The Witcher 3 blew me away. Totally immersive. Call of Duty 1 was also jaw dropping when it released. Something about the combat made it more immersive and entertaining than the Medal of Honor games.

From a technical perspective, Crysis. I remember playing the demo at a cinematic 20 fps and still being blown away by the visuals.

These days, art design impresses me more than graphics.

Size_Mick likes this.
  13. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R

S.T.A.R.A.C. and Size_Mick like this.
  14. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    OMG haven't tried this upgrade since like 10 years ago i think. Hmmm i guess it's time to find the old CDs again - if they still require those to install that thing like it used to be.

Also i'd like to add the 1st Aliens vs. Predator to my personal fav list. Playing as the alien through the single player story was surely mindblowing. Most of the time i was walking on the ceiling looking down on prey or those autocannons. Abs loved it and i never felt dizzy or anything even after hours.

Size_Mick and cerebus23 like this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    also a major empire at war mod dropped like this week.

but yea hope you all enjoy the xwing one ;) need to set up my stick for a few games soon.

Size_Mick likes this.

16. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

-----------------------------------------------------------

NOW Wishing for ZERO HORIZON DAWN (PC)!

Never had a Playstation 4! :(

But have a GPU:cool:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Turanis and Size_Mick like this.
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    god of war creator or director also said he would like to see his god of war on pc for what thats worth but in light of the avalanche of ps4 exclusives coming to pc, i think that also is likely.

Size_Mick likes this.
  18. Fatupazrat

Fatupazrat Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7750 1 GB
    On over 35 years of gaming of course there are some titles that raised the rod of gaming experience to another level, here are few of my most memorable

International Karate My first Commodore 64 game, the music, the graphics, the animations, I had a Commodore 16 before so you can imagine...
    The last ninja 2 I think it's a unmatched C64 Game, probably the beast C64 music along with the best graphics my jaw was really dropped when I first saw it.
    Screamer 2 I had an 80286 at that time, so you can imagine what means to see a 3D racing game running on a Pentium 133 at 640x480.
    Daggerfall It was a huge game, yes 99% of dungeons were copy and paste but still jaw-dropping.
    Tomb Raider 3 Running on a Voodoo 3, probably not the best tomb raider but my first 3dfx experience.
    Half Life It was so ahead for its time on all aspects...
    Mafia 1 It had superb storytelling, great face details for that time, the city feels like it was alive, probably much better than GTA, the first movie-like game I ever played, very immersive.
    Lineage 2 To be honest for today's standards it's a mediocre MMORPG, but it was super in 2003, graphics and animations for its time jaw-dropping for sure. The music was so epic I feel it like it was a bit wasted for a game like that, but it gave the game such a great atmosphere. very addictive.
    Titan Quest I always liked H&S, and Diablo 2 was one of my favorite game at that time, so a diablo 2 like game with physics and superb graphics, what I can have asked for more?
    Crysis Basically for its graphics, so ahead for its time.
    GTA V Well, no need for introductions for this one.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Great addition, in Mafia 1, one of the best open world games ever

connos and Size_Mick like this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Solid list... I didn't list any C64 games on my list but I'll give you International Karate, spent hours playing that at my mate's house, I was so jealous that he could carry on playing every time I left. Also last ninja games, classics. Good to see we agree on Daggerfall too :)

Screamer (the OG) ran like a pig on my Cryrix 133mhz cpu but the 2nd game on 3Dfx blew my mind.

Size_Mick likes this.