Need a little help here please

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by SputNick, Nov 26, 2019.

1. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Yeah I made a rookie mistake during the first cleanup by using a rough brush to clean off the dust off the radiator and bent some of the tiny metal holes but it still works for the most part, maximum stress temps are between 50 and 55 degrees and at idle it sits between 28 to 30 degrees. As of now one tube is moderately hot and the other is cold, when it doesn't work i noticed that both tubes get super hot and BIOS reports temps up to 90+ degrees minutes after a cold boot. I'll use the air-cooling unit that ships with my AMD processor and use the H60 fan as an exhaust. :)

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Did you check if the pump is working while the water is hot at both sides? And the fans? Because this sound like either pump is failing or the fan. Any strange metal noises or crunching sounds?

3. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Yeah it was making a sound like when you start an engine and it fails to start, but it's working now, i've had it for years, do you suggest any budget-friendly liquid cooler?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Sadly no. I only owned an H80i from Corsair before and I hated the "i" (control through software crap).
    I plan to mod my Vega64 with an Alphacool solution, so currently I find those pretty interesting in general. They are basically extendable cooling solutions with some kind of quick connect to put more stuff into the water loop.

See here:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=coolwsets&xf=4006_Alphacool&sort=p&v=e
    I planned for an Eisbaer (polar bear in English) 280mm as CPU solution and add the Vega cooler into the loop (only available as bulk cooler for my specific card :( ).
    They seem pretty cheap but seem to perform good.

Rule of thumb: the thicker the rad, the more heat can be transferred.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    SputNick likes this.

5. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Confusing times again. I decided to go with Ryzen 3600 (25% performance increase and not over-priced) and apparently a lot of people are having issues using it on their B450 motherboards despite updating their BIOS to the latest version, the problem seems common across all vendors and it's not vendor-specific, so the "headache-free" alternative should be the X570 series but although it works OOB it's an overkill for Ryzen 3600, I personally don't need PCIe 4 slot or two M.2 slots or 10+2 phases digital VRM and 128GB RAM support. Is there a commonly known B450 Mobo that just works with Ryzen 3 and won't cause boot loops and such?

6. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    im using the r5 3600 on x370 gaming pro carbon and works just fine and worked from the first bios that supported it the only problems is had was with ram speed but now that is fine too and with the proc no problems at all.
    what kind of problem did you hear of?

7. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Essentially slow booting (up to 10 minutes) and in some cases no booting at all or BSODs. The B450 Tomahawk seems like the best choice but i don't want to gamble and end up spending weeks or months waiting for a BIOS update that will make my PC work.

8. All of them running AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54) or later complemented with RAM on the motherboard's QVL.

SputNick likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If you have issues with B4x0's on combopi 1.0.0.4, go into the bios when it does boot and disable 10bit tag support.

10. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I haven’t had any issues other than the early BIOSs on my low end B450 and a 3700x

SputNick likes this.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I haven’t had any issues other than the early BIOSs on my low end B450 and a 3700x

12. The below all have BIOS updates for AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54)

13. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Thank you for the links guys, this video helped a lot! Almost every motherboard has its quirks apparently and the best choice is the one with the least potential issues or drawbacks. If I get a B450 it has to have a BIOS flashback button i can't order a lower-end CPU just to update the BIOS.

14. AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services

15. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Sadly the place i live in now makes it very difficult for these things to work smoothly.
    Speaking of thermal solution, is the factory placed thermal solution provided by AMD on their Wraith coolers reliable or better go with 3rd party option?

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Depends on if you plan to OC. If running stock or mild OC the stock cooler will suffice. But if you plan to push the limits more use an aftermarket solution. Please keep in mind the IMC (mem controller, SOC) is on-chip, so OCing your mem will put heat on your CPU, too.
    No OC = no issue running stock cooler I would say

SputNick likes this.
  17. Buy a cheap single 3.5 gram unit of Noctua NH-1 or CoolerMaster Master Gel thermal compound; that is my personal recommendation.

SputNick and 386SX like this.
  18. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Yeah I saw a video about this earlier today and how OC'ing memory to high extremes starts to push the CPU to underperform although on paper the numbers show that the performance should be improved.

19. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Thanks!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  20. No worries; best of luck with everything!

SputNick likes this.