Windows 10 20H1 reaches RTM status: build 19041 will roll out next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Strange Times likes this.
  2. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I, like many others have totally lost it with Windows 10... I do like the OS but I haven't got a clue any more about what it is supposed to do with each update or what's new. Even the little intros you get upon the installation of a large update barely cover anything and are easily forgotten. Although I do notice when they break things... like you can't right click in an explorer search bar since the most recent big update, you can click in to the box and CTR+V but right click doesn't work and why are all the searches defaulted to be grouped? Even when I turn off grouping the next search is grouped and I hate it.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so much for the once every year bs they feed us eh? I just installed 1909 on my personal pc and did stand in upgrade cause I didnt feel like doing clean install. I have done more clean install which really just re-installs at this point with windows 10 then all windows versions installs combined to this date.

It got to point I tell people get mac just so i dont have deal with problems they have at some point. and seeing I know next to nothing about mac they cant bother me bout it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I miss the big releases every 2 to 3 years. They were far more interesting.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    At least if they could do some under the hood job that make sense.
    Like showing us what has improved in security and memory management speed, file system speed.
    If they would balance some work in that area rather than new things not really many people asked for...

I do not know i have really an hard bias on them.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Dude, Windows 10 has gone through numerous under the hood tweaks and full on overhauls since it launched in 2015. The OS is way more secure now than it was back then, and more performant as well. You need to look at the change logs for the biannual updates if you want to get a grasp of the improvements they've made.

7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Never please some people, big releases everyone complained, small releases everyone complains.

8. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    Dont think so ... i use 041 from 09.12 ... 19041 same as 19037 have critical issuse with FrameWork 3.5 (in update error code 0x800F0950 :) ) .. Lot of old soft and game not compatible with new 4,8 ... Help only preinstall 3.5 on WIM. 100% Not last build. In MS Insiders Team ... every body go holidays ... Gen post "stupid" not serious tweets on Twitter ... Bt anyw hes must sync with Azure ( Hello from Dona :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    Bt What,s best in 20H1 ? ... Finaly can in apps advanced settings DISABLE BACKGROUND like Edge, My Phone, Skype ... more customize finaly

10. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Seems rushed.

ArtKursis likes this.

11. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    @intellimoo, if you mean 1909 versus 2004, of course ...

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    RTM already? Seems a bit rushed but well perhaps it's true guess we'll see if there's additional builds or not which would confirm it.

EDIT: Ah they're doing a bit of testing with this build it seems, that would explain the December 10th build date and then some months of updates and whatever will be released when that's done.

13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Can you point me where those change logs are ?
    The only performance improvements i have seen are the one of big problems that we shouldn't have from the start, like search getting crazy.
    I still feel windows 7 was way snappier.

14. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm slowly tiring out with two updates per year. It's just too much. Installing 1909 feels like yesterday still, and now there's already talk of the 20H1 release. The quality of those fast releases has been at least a bit problematic, and as a user I'm just getting annoyed at having to install an update twice a year. That's much too much OS in my face, which is supposed to sit there, do it's job and get updated maybe once a year at the highest. Sure I could delay the upgrades, but eventually end of support dates will catch up to me. I could maybe delay one upgrade until the next one releases, then install both at once and be done for a year.

15. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    and yes ... 19041 awaible on Slow Ring Insiders Update, bt not in Release Previev. When any build move to Release Previev ring, we can talk about RTM ready and sign.

16. PendragonUK

PendragonUK Guest

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    I think it's all the years running Linux but I like Windows updates! New features, things to play with, things to fix. I'm not saying I would use Windows 10 in production but it's always interesting. I use a stable OS in production but for something to play with and play a few games windows 10 is fun to mess about with.

(if you can't see the sarcasm I'm sorry)

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Been on 19041 for last couple weeks. Solid, stable, feels RTM worthy. Not often feel this way about preview builds, but this may be the best OS I've used to date.

Strange Times likes this.
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Zac Bowden lol, not a source I would be quoting given his history for getting it completely wrong

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3090 FTW3
    All of these complaints about too many updates from Microsoft makes me laugh. So many complained when they didn't release them fast enough, because they had to wait on service packs, now they are trying to release smaller ones quicker to address issues or to give more features, and still people complain because they "can't be bothered" and think "releases every one to two years" are much better than this? Many got free upgrades from Win7 or 8 to Win10 so at least you didn't have to buy another OS just to upgrade to the latest one, unlike the days of Win98, Win98SE, WinME (shudders), WinXP. Those were only a few years apart, and were NOT cheap to buy. Be happy they are fixing things. If you don't know what they fixed because you didn't bother to go look at the full changelog, that's on you, not them. Do you complain every time that your favorite game has a patch too? Or an online game has a maintenance period for a few hours and then there's a massive patch released? It's called software cycles. Get over it, get used to it, and if what I read about the next version of windows turns out to be true, be happy now because it's going to get REALLY ugly then.

20. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    I'm liking build 19536 so far, 19041 was ok from memory but I'm pretty sure it had a few issues with the WDM. Also the old multiple refresh rate problem with nVidia, just got fixed recently, so I guess that didn't make it? (or was that a nVidia driver fix, I forgot sorry lol).
    I'm loving the rolling updates, when they don't release bugs that is. That's easily fixed by selecting to delay automatic updates for 7days and you'll have to force yourself to look at forum headlines for possible problems (OMG the thought lol). But I do miss the big old service packs and small fixes you used to be able to get.
    Those complaining should have seen how it once was done. With NT 3.50 I had to phone up MS and request NT 3.51 to be sent to me via the old mail system. Let's not talk about sky high piles of floppy's shall we, before the CD. I wonder how many 1.44M disks Win 10 would use and how long it would take? Hell let's use 5 1/4" for shits and giggles, that came with NT 3.50. *8D