Epic vs Steam sale

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Martigen, Dec 20, 2019.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    As for this sale. EGS is completely owning steam. You'd have to be a real steam apologist to see it otherwise. Steam sales really aren't all that great and haven't been in years. EGS just wants you to eventually use their launcher to play some of those free games many are piling up in free libraries. Then you may look at EGS while your free game is getting started and may actually buy something. It's a solid strategy. Me, I've yet to install their launcher at all. I grab their free games with a web browser.

I don't give 2 chits where I get my games from. If it's cheaper on EGS, then I will buy it on EGS. If people want to avoid things and only use something else, good for them I really don't care. I'm old enough to remember when steam was the evil gaming platform. I'm still not a big fan of owning "digital" copies of things rather than physical media. There are drawbacks to both.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Todays free game on Epic (Celeste) is the first game they already have given for free. I've got every game for free they gave us since they started, so i know.

3. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Depends on how you look at it. In terms of drawing people to its store, Epic is doing very well, and a lot of negativity has subsided. But most people are probably only coming for the free stuff, and every game €15 and over comes with a €10 discount - very few people are spending a lot of money on the Epic Store compared to Steam. At some point that's going to have to change, otherwise what's the point of having the store at all? I assume they can fund the store for a long time with Fortnite money, but the long play is obviously that once Fortnite runs its course, the store will do for Epic what it has been doing for Valve for 15 years now. I think in terms of sales and actually making money, Steam continues to print the stuff even with relatively low effort, while Epic is investing in a future where they hope to do the same.

So long as the launcher is somewhat reliable in terms of whether it'll still exist next year, I don't mind where my games are at. But so far, Epic hasn't made a lot of money from me: looking at my own purchasing pattern this month, only about 10% of my spendings went to the Epic Store.

Ubisoft uPlay: €28 (Assassin's Creed: Odyssey)
    Steam: €25 (Halo: Reach (twice), €2x10 and The Stanley Parable, €5)
    Epic: €5 for Journey (€5), Superhot (free)

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just because Epic are giving away free games, doesn't mean they are doing better.
    So far, I haven't seen a single free game from them that I either don't already own on Steam... or have zero interest in.

And, personally, I'd pay a little more for a more established platform.

Besides, this constant comparison is... well... dumb.
    Epic are not doing anything special. They want to be Steam, they want what Steam has and are trying many different things to get it. Exclusivity deals, giving away free titles... all trying to build their user base up.

Yes, Steam's sales have lost their luster. But, given how long Steam has been around... that was going to happen.
    And, it will happen with Epic's sales as well. I wouldn't say Epic are owning anything.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    does the epic Launcher have a shopping cart yet?

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Like streaming movies and TV shows, Steam and online distribution is becoming too popular to get the epic sales of years past. I used that $10 coupon for Metro Exodus. Epic doesn't have the library for me to really care about their sales.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yep, this is exactly what EGS are doing right now. Filling people's libraries with games. Once they own a few, they won't mind buying games on EGS.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You have some bad "patterns". You could've bought Odyssey for a third of that price on EGS.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    bought crew 2 and division 2 on egs with vouchers. not bad really.

refunded crew 2, disgrace.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    bought Mordor games on Steam since i never finished those. making a list of older games id like
    to have in my Steam library so i might pick up some more titles.

Epic owns a lot of freebie accounts. i disagree about how smart this strategy really is. on some level
    i actually believe acting as a Robin Hood against Steam isn't even an issue if we could see real solid numbers.

most of their crowd is based on Fortnite. and like all good things ( garbage in my opinion ), the Fortnite train
    will take the long dive. and im not saying it in a bad way, its just how things are, newer games \ evolved genres
    replace older titles.

Steam has based itself with a steady, solid and healthy economy, its not just a random big player base.
    people actually care* about their libraries. i fail to understand how some of the "oldbies" fail to recognize it.

Kolt likes this.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't see how flooding people's accounts with random titles is going to get people to buy stuff from them?
    Why buy games when you can just create an account and snatch up free ones?

Also, that's going under the assumption that the titles they are releasing... are stuff everyone wants.
    Which me, I haven't seen a single title they've put out for free that I either don't already own somewhere else, or don't care about.

Also, some, no matter what Epic do... have been soured on the company and won't change their minds.
    I'm all for more options, more stores. But as long as Tim Sweeney's pompous smug ass is involved, I won't support them.

Kolt and ShadowDuke like this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You do you.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I do. :)

I don't knock people for using Epic, if they want to... that's great.
    And I only ever speak for myself, I dislike it when people try to speak for me, so I try to not speak for others.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I on the other hand have no problem calling people out for being complicit in the splitting of the gaming market place.

Kolt likes this.
  15. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    No, I don't think I could have. I didn't get the regular edition, I got the Gold edition including the season pass. On the Epic store, that's €35, and after a €10 coupon discount that still comes to €25. Just ever so slightly cheaper than on uPlay, but I got it before the sales started. Also, a third of €28 is €9,33. The regular edition on the Epic Store is €24, which after a coupon would be €14, which is half of €28 instead of a third.

16. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    This isn't rocket science, it's about lowering the barrier of entry.

If you have no Epic Store account at all, then you're extremely unlikely to make an account just for one purchase. You'd be much more likely to make that purchase on Steam (or Origin, or uPlay, or GOG, or...).
    If you have an empty Epic Store account, you're unlikely to start using it for just one purchase. You'd be much more likely to make the purchase on Steam (or...).
    If you have an Epic Store account with a bunch of games (that you got for free), then you're probably already using the account and store. The chances of you buying something to add to your collection is much higher.

In my case, I've done exactly this. I already have a library of ten titles that I got for free. Journey is an Epic exclusive (PS4 port), and is just €5 during the sales. Had I not had an Epic account, or had I had one without any games, I wouldn't have bothered with the game. But now that I do have an Epic account, and I do use it from time to time, I chose to buy Journey.

This isn't a tactic that has to work on every single person; it has to work on enough people so that the store becomes viable without Epic throwing Fortnite money at it every single second of the day.

Note: I've been a Steam user since buying Half-Life 2: Silver, the digital release of Half-Life 2. I was an early adopter and have been a big proponent of Steam from day one. No store / platform is perfect, and none of them are knights in shining armor. Personal pet peeve: platform or store exclusivity.

I believe this is exactly why they're using Fortnite funds to create something that could become a steady, solid, healthy source of income for Epic on the long-term. So long as Fortnite is raking in cash for Epic (and it could for a long, long time; there are lots of examples of games with extreme longevity), they can ride the wave and use the funds for additional products. Should Fortnite ever become financially irrelevant, Epic will have a store to replace it.

Sidenote: if you have to add the comment that you think Fortnite is garbage in your opinion, even though it's one of the biggest gaming success stories of the decade, then what worth are you placing on your opinion? I assume you mean you don't like the game yourself (which is entirely valid)?

17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    exactly. the game is garbage in my opinion, i dislike everything about it.

and it has nothing to do with Epic since UT-99 is for example, one of the best Multiplayer games iv ever played ( Epic's doing among others ).

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I don't think Fortnite is garbage, but I do dislike how its popularity is "infecting" other titles. I get it, it's a trend, but some of us want a different experience and it gets annoying when other studios are trying to copy it in certain ways. It's probably why a lot of people "hate" it.

Kolt likes this.
  19. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    in my case, just to be clear : i dislike everything about Fortnite after* iv tried it. im not hating the game
    or the community, nor do i hate Epic, or EGS in general.

the idea behind exclusivity deals for PC games is something i can't accept, and that's why Epic's launcher is dead
    to me. that's about it on that issue.

when it comes to the battle royal genre, PUBG is the game i enjoy since its early access. i also tried
    Apex, and the latest COD and i disliked them both.

20. Mothra-Man

Mothra-Man Guest

GPU:
    RX 580, 6 G
    Must be nice to have disposable income....Good for you!! As for me, I pay the cheapest price....I am on Steam, Epic, Origin and Battle net.....I will say I like STEAM the best, but after all I am the consumer...so do as I please where I please, and pay what I please....simple nuff said!