Freesync is BROKEN

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Synoxia, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    "At least" ;-)

2. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    FRTC in early stage was breaking freesync. I tested this using 18.2.2 drivers... FRTC is much better now and it's the only way for me to achieve correct frame to refreshrate.
    RTSS > FRTC for input lag, FRTC > RTSS for hz. I usually combine both but without expensive equipment i can't really test if FRTC delivers correct frametimes. RTSS alone for sure introduces stutter at low framerates.

3. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    - Do you have stutter with both options - RTSS+FreeSync with disabled V-Sync and RTSS+FreeSync+V-Sync enabled in-game (because V-Sync enabled in AMD Radeon Control Panel works maybe only with OpenGL, not DirectX and Vulkan)?

- Use exclusive full-screen, maybe.

- Disable F.lux program, EVGA Precision program if you use these.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5pz9hp/for_those_experiencing_heavy_stutters_on_freesync/

- You can also try to disable some overlays (Xbox Windows 10 Game Bar, Uplay, Origin, Steam) maybe.

- Disable Power Monitoring in MSI Afterburner (it can cause stutter) if you use this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9f1iu7/psa_micro_stuttering_a_lot_turn_off_power/

- Try poweroff and poweron your monitor while your pc is running. If it will not works - toggle your input selector on the OSD to HDMI1 and back (or any other source for that matter).

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/weird-stutter-when-enabling-g-sync-compatible.424912/

- Maybe reduce refresh rate from 144 to 120Hz.
    Uninstall drivers with DDU program and install new drivers (I'm not sure if you did it or not).

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4978#p41940

4. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    None of these work unfortunately.

5. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Did you disable Radeon Overlay (it is enabled by default maybe)?

'Can you disable Radeon™ Overlay?

Yes, in you can disable it from within Radeon Overlay using the Settings button in the top right and selecting “Disable Radeon™ Overlay” or using the Radeon™ Settings control panel, under Preferences, and unchecking “Show Overlay”.'

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-overlay

https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/a66fnt/radeon_overlay_causing_large_stutters_ingame/ - about stutter with Radeon Overlay

You can also try close 'amdow.exe' process.

Did you disable in-game OSD in RivaTuner and close MSI Afterburner program?

Maybe you can try also to disable Windows 10 Full-screen Optimizations (right click on game's icon -> Properties...).

Do you have only one screen connected to your PC and only 1 device (PC) connected to your screen?

Do you have stutter only below FreeSync range (in LFC range) or also in FreeSync range?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
  7. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Sorry if i am necroing this but just wanted to let you know that the only way to fix this behaviour is to use RTSS + FRTC togheter. RTSS for smooth frametimes and FRTC for perfect 1:1 fps:Hz.

8. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Thanks for your answer.

Should RTSS and FRTC be set at the same FPS limit number?

Are RTSS+FRTC working together cause more input lag than only RTSS?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes frtc adds some input lag so use just rtss as a limiter with a freesync.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    lol, if you actually knew anything about monitors, you would understand his argument. You clearly don't.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    he doesn't have one, and neither do you.

12. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    To me it seems like the input lag is the same as RTSS, FRTC just serves the purpose of syncinc the HZ. but undying's answer is correct one. Just use RTSS if you do not experience this broken behaviour.
    Im curious if MaCk0y still has the same behaviour with the new gpu.

13. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    I have an update, check this apparently this user experience the same behaviour with RTSS. The problem is that i experience this with in-game framecap too...

14. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Maybe try new AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 19.12.3 drivers.

'(...) Fixed Issues
    (...)

• Improved Radeon Chill experience when using a gaming mouse.
      • Switching between borderless and fullscreen in some games when Performance Overlay is enabled and Radeon FreeSync is enabled may cause stuttering.
      • (...)
      • Some Radeon FreeSync enabled displays may experience LFC intermittently enabling mid game causing poor performance or stutter. (...)'
    But
    '(...)
    Known Issues

• Some Radeon R9 200, Radeon R9 300 and Radeon R9 Fury series graphics products may experience instability with a limited number of DirectX®9 or DirectX®11 games when using a high refresh rate 120hz+ display. A workaround if you are experiencing this issue is to lower your displays refresh rate. (...)'.
    https://videocardz.com/driver/amd-radeon-adrenalin-2020-19-12-3

I don't know but maybe these drivers will help (or not)?

15. slice313

slice313 Member

GPU:
    hd 7850
    This is working fine, the only reason you see those odds jumps is because when the game´s fps goes under the monitor range (lets say 144-60 hz) AMD drivers double the FPS with black frames to compensate and fit again inside the range.

ex. 59x2= 118 (in range) 30x2=60 (in range) etc

That is the reason why you could see the hz jumping from 60 to 1xxs suddenly, you are on the limit of your monitor´s range. Dont use CRU to extent this limits, this system works fine and CRU can only damage the multiplier chip of your monitor if overclocked too agressively.