The Witcher [Netflix]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 20, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ok first episode down. HOLY ****ING CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING!!!

I felt like I was watching the game come to life, everything about it screamed authenticity! I'm seriously blow away right now, I was not expecting it to be that good! And yeah that was some of the best choreographed sword fighting I'v ever seen!

Oh and how could I forget the marvelous production value!

2. Ah The Witcher I can finally end my work day to some actual worth-while screenwriting & media adaptation of original work as it should be done. FFS Disney take note...

3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Just binge watched all 8 episodes. WOW!! That was really good! When it ended, I wanted more. The cast for Geralt, Yennifer and Ciri did an excellent job. Loved Henry Cavill as Geralt. Great character building and they followed the books quite well. They took some liberties and changed certain things from the books, but it all worked very well. Can't wait for season two!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Binged the first season as well, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I was worried at first when I saw the cast but man did they nail the essence of the Witcher universe.
    Henry's agility in the combat scenes are quite a sight. Need season 2 now! :D

5. Cavill's ability to "embody" Geralt took me by surprise; he by more than earned his salary in this show.

jbscotchman and airbud7 like this.
  6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Damn, yet another show where I am at odds with my fellow gurus...

I watched maybe 20-25 mins and just stopped because I realised something - I skipped all of the cutscenes in W3 when playing it, and this was just full of 'cut scenes'...as it was netflix, I was able to scrub on the bottom and see a mini-thumbnail and see the rest of the episode was going to be, two or three people talking about 'stuff' that would only matter to them and not me; the viewer.

• Acting - great, minus the 'Christian Bale Batman-I-am-really-mean-and-scary-honest-grr' of Henry, which just grates.
    • Sets - yup - even when they are outside, the blue/green-screen of doom is there and is too obvious to miss, deflating the suspension. You can almost see the assistants off-set, handing out cups of coffee, just off screen. The interior non-digital sets (that are not extensions) are fantastic.
    • Cinematography - apt, but not great, too digital, too fake.
    • Lighting - superb
    • Costumes - fantastic
    • Music - not anywhere near as good as W3, but 'passable' and certainly befitting of the genre.
    • Editing - meh, fine I guess, just not the best shots and angles, probably the result of post-processing constraints on what they could shoot...too formulaic, perhaps. It really was: actor says line CUT TO: next actor...actor says line CUT TO: reaction shot, and it was composed in simple two-shot, three-shot, shot-reverse shot-shot, the most priomitive of shots, which doesn't leave the editor to do anything other than be the arms and eyes of the digital, almost factory-based non-human editing. Very dissappoting editing, but, 'fine', just boring as hell to watch editing this anemic.
    If I had one word for this, just, boring.

What they should have done is take the character from when young and take them through the perils of becoming a Witcher and have some montages from being young through to being a Witcher. That would have been my take on it - spend the first season getting Gerry to the point where he learns about the world, and being a Witcher, to become a Witcher, and then load the syringe with the politics of the world and add plots from there.

A gentle sprinkling of lore, not a dollop of lore which collapses onto the viewer within the first few minutes - it was literally ALL exposition.

I'm sure this will get a lot of views and respect, but, I had no time to sit through episode upon episode of lamentation and exposition about things I really know nothing about and do not care about, because the characters have not been explained to me at all.

Technically, I suppose it's fine - but dramatically, it just...makes you want to hit X to skip.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    then youve not played W3.

i hit X n skipped the rest of yer post as you skipped thru the show then came to the wrongful conclusion you saw enough to post about it as if that warrants an opinion/critique of the show. it doesnt.

good day to you sir.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yet, if I watched the first 25 mins and said it was fantastic and the best thing ever, and that I can't wait to stop typing so I can return to watch the remaining 25 minutes - then my opinion is valid?

Did they choose to show the main character becoming the main character? No - they just dump the main character onto the audience without any build up or trials n tribulations, just 'dump' here is the Witcher, and now, here is 45 mins of exposition, talking about stuff you know nothing about, but, we REALLY want you to pay attention to it and 'feel' something about these characters, even, you have just met them. That is very very very very very bad story telling. Whatever happened to 'Once upon a time'???

Do the exterior shots look fake and clearly filmed on a green screen? Yes.
    Is the show 99% exposition? Yes.
    Is the music better than W3? No.
    Are the costumes excellent? Yes.
    Does Henry do a silly voice? YES.

What exactly did I get 'wrong' ? Was it...having an opinion that differs from you?

I did preface my solemn post with disdain that I knew my opinions would be at odds with some of the gurus...surely by reading that you should not have read the rest of it?

Can't win, can I?

I found it boring - that is not me saying that it is boring, just that I found it boring. Should I have to say 'sorry' to everyone for this?

NO. So, stop trying to undermine how someone feels about something, especially when they give reasons.

This is a forum. Not a company boardroom meeting where you can fire people for not towing the company line...

Size_Mick likes this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im pleased to report that, while i was criticizing the images before , it ended up freaking brilliant.
    I actually got used to the characters the very first episode. even dandelion , ended up funny and great.
    Infact i think that some things are of higher quality then GOT. battles are awesome, lots of blood, woulds showing , heads flying. very well directed. ive only seen 3 episodes but 10/10 so far, which is extremely rare for me.
    It got a 9.1 so far on IMDB , I expect it to go higher tbh since it is made so well.

jbscotchman and warlord like this.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Better than GOT. If only people had a personality and learn to criticize movies, games, series, etc.

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Is that directed at me?

warlord likes this.
  13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It is a generic comment. GOT was and still is overrated as I am not a fan, never was. It wasn't quite handling scenario from books as a gospel but neither does Witcher though, series are not perfect, ever. Problem for me is, I liked Wiedźmin much better than A Song of Ice and Fire and I demand a higher rating. I am disappointed from the people overall once again. I am glad that I do not need people's criticism for my job. 9.1 vs 9.4, I could vomit.

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Its pretty good. Not that brilliant, just good.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Damn , how long do we have to wait for season 2. hopefully not another year :(

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

16. Loobyluggs what the fuuck; reading this was like trying to evacuate a goddamn hemorrhoid and I'm sorry because we normally get along but Jesus you really are becoming droll.. I'm cringing right now I cannot read the rest of this it's just bad and your followup post doesn't deserve a response it's childish; seriously get control.

17. It was created by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, whose TV writing and producing credits include “The West Wing” and “Parenthood,” and was filmed in Hungary, Poland and the Canary Islands. Production of a second series was announced in November.

Prod is underway but could be a year... from sound of fact was in November

http://players.brightcove.net/219646971/default_default/index.html?videoId=6061743284001

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2019
    Icanium and WhiteLightning like this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Again: nothing is above criticism.

I appreciate the comment, but my opinion is simply that, and (unlike some people on the internet - not here) I do not need others opinion to be the same as mine for my opinion to be more or less accurate. That's nothing new, that's the way it always has been.

Now, I do respect other peoples opinion, but, by that rational; others should also respect mine - yet as some have pointed out, it was only the first 20-25 mins I watched, but that was enough to form it.

19. Yep no problem with that... just kinda... went on a diatribe

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, I had to justify my point beyond 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAH this sux, ROFLMAO, noob, lacks win' and all of the other etc's you find on the internet :)

I think most would rather I detail my opinion, than just scream incoherently like most on the internet do - which I never have thought were opnions, but simple venting, because of RL reasons that no one really cares about.

As an side, I do think there is far too much overt censorship on the internet - really no need for it, just let people say what they want and then attack their points.

In my country, it's called 'playing the ball, not the man'...always got <3 for gurus

Deleted member 213629 likes this.